Kitsilano CG station closed

GLG

Kitsilano coast guard station closed
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/05/17/bc-kitsilano-coast-guard.html

The Kitsilano coast guard station in Vancouver's English Bay will be shut down as part of a massive round of layoffs underway at the federal Department of Fisheries and Ocean, according to union officials.
More than 1,000 DFO employees, including 763 Canadian Coast Guard workers, received notices Thursday that their jobs could be effected by pending cuts.

Dave Clark, of the Union of Canadian Transportation Employees says 153 letters are going out to effected employees today in the Pacific Region, but it is unclear how many people will be losing their jobs.
Canadian Coast Guard officials met with staff at the Kitsilano station Thursday afternoon to discuss the details about the closure, according to officials with the Union of Canadian Transportation Employees.
The station is staffed by 12 crew and responded to almost 300 calls last year, many involving recreational boaters.

The local sailing community is shocked by the news, according to Eardly Beaton, a commander with the Vancouver Power and Sail Squadron.

News of the layoffs comes just two days before the launch of safe boating week at the Kitsilano station.
In February, the CAW launched a campaign opposing the federal government's cuts to the Canadian Coast Guard.

What a bunch of pin heads back east.
Cull the works....
GLG

Last edited by a moderator:
So I ask you.... What benefits do we get from Eastern Government? BC has been a net contributor to Federalism since long before I started paying taxes ( over 35 years ago), and our taxes to Ottawa have always been substantially higher than our trasnfer payments back into BC. All I get out of Federalism is a great hockey team once every 4 years for the Olympics. Maybe its time Western Canada opted outand governed ourselves. Hope I am not hi-jacking this thread GLG. If so, I can start a new one.

Cheers

Coast Guard search and rescue calls are down significantly since 2007 , almost 50% in the "life threatening category". The Coast Guard Auxiliary (unpaid and community supported) do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to search and rescue in British Columbia. These guys are the real unsung heroes on the water. The Coast Guard maintain 11 stations while the auxiliary maintain 50 stations on 1/100th of the cost.

We will always need search and rescue on this coast , but unfortunately the Coast Guard in its present form really doesn't make a lot of sense, a major overhaul is needed.

beemer

Back