Kicker Steering

I always wondered how stick steer would work with a kicker.
I see guys spinning the rear helm like crazy, these stick steers seem to be responsive.
/QUOTE]

I was confused by the comment about guys spinning the rear helm like crazy. The smaller the wheel the less distance you need to spin it to make a turn. My rear helm that sits on top of the transom has a very small wheel and can effect a turn or course adjustment with very little turning (spinning of the wheel). It has a knob on the wheel like some bus drivers use. The main helm station in the cabin has a full size wheel more like that used in a car and therefor it takes a considerable amount more turning of the wheel to effect the same course correction at the motor but both do the job well. One advantage of hydraulic over cable is that it takes way less force to turn the wheel and you can do it with one finger so you don't need the mechanical advantage of a large diameter wheel like you do with cable.. I have noticed that on the transom people use a smaller wheel because that is what will fit there without getting in the way. If the rear station is mounted on the outside of the cabin rear bulkhead they tend to use a larger wheel more similar in size to the main helm. The large wheel makes very fine adjustments in course easier and the small one is faster because of less turning of the wheel and gets in the way less.

Last edited:
Here's mine. A couple ball sockets, a piece of ree-bar welded together and shrink tubed. Both motors capable of raising and lowering independently. Not quick disconnect but I'm fine with that cause kicker stays on the boat. The main acting as a rudder makes a huge difference. Steers great now and not overcorrecting all the time.

Attachments

• 20180320_171743.jpg
    20180320_171743.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 66
  • 20180320_171756.jpg
    20180320_171756.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Here's mine. A couple ball sockets, a piece of ree-bar welded together and shrink tubed. Both motors capable of raising and lowering independently. Not quick disconnect but I'm fine with that cause kicker stays on the boat. The main acting as a rudder makes a huge difference. Steers great now and not overcorrecting all the time.
Hello Viking can you repost these pictures as I can no longer see them. Thanks

Hello Viking can you repost these pictures as I can no longer see them. Thanks
Sorry man. New phone now. Those pics and the boat is gone. You can buy ball sockets at the hardware store. I bolted it to the main where the steering ties in. Usually there is a couple un used holes there.

Back