Kicker Primer is collapsing

TheHurtLocker

I was wondering if I can get some answers from the forum. When running on the kicker the primer will collapse and starve it of fuel. You can start pumping it to get fuel going but it will not prime up. I have just replaced it and the kicker fuel connector and I still have the same issues. Going to replace the whole fuel line tomorrow to see if this helps. Any other ideas?

if you didn't replace the fuel line that is where I'd look--had it before where the fuel line rots on the inside &
created problems.replaced it & solved the problem.

I would also check the fuel tank vent for blockages

Ok thanks, I will also check the vent. I was thinking the vent was not blocked because I was getting fuel coming out of it when I fill the tank up. Does that make sense?

Ok thanks, I will also check the vent. I was thinking the vent was not blocked because I was getting fuel coming out of it when I fill the tank up. Does that make sense?

I've had that issue many times so yes, it makes sense. The problem with the vent is being a vent, it may only be venting out but not drawing air in. Even if they are designed that way, a lot of vents aren't truly bi-directional. On warm days or if your can is in direct sun, the pressure of the vaporization of the fuel can easily be higher than atmospheric pressure and ultimately creates a unidirectional vent. The increased volume and pressure in this situation though should rectify your problem because pressure is higher in the tank anyway.

Normally, as your fuel level drops, it creates negative pressure due to the decrease in volume (should be replaced with the same volume of air) but it isn't happening. Sometimes the vents can get gummed up with dirt, debris or whatever else. When it happens, take a look at your fuel tank, if it's collapsed a simple crack of the cap will rectify it.

yes. sounds vented.....check the fuel line.
could be damaged or collapsed. if you have another tank or a portable try switching sources. the pick up screen
in the other tank could be plugged.

Thank you members, greatly appreciated. Will be replacing fuel line and checking vent today.

An other tip is that the primer bulbs are usually designed to be squeezed in a vertical upright position with an arrow showing the up direction as well as the fuel flow direction. This allows gravity to assist the internal check valve in the squeeze bulb in working optimally. If you were to install the primer bulb backwards you would of course also have problems.

If the tank and its vent are breathing properly, the primer bulb and its internal check valve are installed correctly and in good working order then you will usually find that somewhere along the fuel line and its various connections air is being sucked in. Your fuel line does not have to leak fuel out for air to be sucked in. As others have said, fuel line/hose degrades with age and can cause problems but it is not expensive to replace. If the vent and primer are good over the years I have found the problem is often a bad connection. I run two fuel lines off my main tank and each one has 8 connections between the tank, fuel cut off valve (emergency fire and leak control), fuel filter/water separator, primer bulb and the motor connection. Make sure that each connection is tight and most importantly use only the most expensive, all stainless marine grade hose claps that provide smooth even compression and don't cut into the fuel line. The cheap crap clamps from places like Canadian Tire designed for cars and water hose should not see the inside of your boat even if they are 10 times cheaper.

Last edited:
Back