Kicker bracket rust problem

Natepolean

I just put my boat in a marina slip a couple of weeks ago and the mount plate of the kicker bracket is already all rusty.
The rest of the kicker bracket is fine which I think is aluminum. Is it an issue of 2 different metals interacting together?
I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me some advice on this. The brand is Fulton. Thanks

kicker mount.jpg

Yes bare steel shouldn’t touch aluminum. It seems strange that Fulton would have ever made that with steel. Maybe someone else did that.

Get another kicker bracket. If it’s started to rust that badly after a few weeks, it’s not going to stop and make a mess of your transom. A few hundred bucks and a days work and you can enjoy the boat without worrying about a rusting bracket

Very strange indeed, did you install the bracket new, Or did it come with the boat? personally I’d get that thing off the boat ASAP like others stated above if it’s rusting that bad already I can’t imagine what it would be like after a season. I wouldn’t want my $2000+ Kicker hanging off it definitely invest in a new bracket should only cost a couple hundred vs a couple thousand.

The rest of the bracket looks like aluminum so maybe get some 1/4” thick aluminum angles made up to replace the rusted steel. That’s probably the Way it was supposed to be. There’s no reason that Fulton would have used steel.

the panther bracket that I used to have was all aluminum

I bought the kicker bracket used, but it should be all aluminum. The only other thing I can think of is that I had chain there to secure the kicker. Maybe the chain touch the kicker bracket and caused galvanic reaction. But it should't that bad and so extensive.

Back