Kayak fishing?

H

haverodwilltravel

Just discovered that they make kayaks specifically suited for anglers. I just love the idea. Anybody here into it? If you are could you make some recommendations as to where I might get started finding a suitable kayak?

I've been "kayak-fishing" for years. Any good ocean kayak will do (preferably one with bulkheads & rudder) and then it's just a matter of hooking up a decent rod holder (I just bungie cord on a pvc stem) and trolling your gear. Here is a pic of a spring I caught up in the Brooks area a couple of years ago. Took 40 minutes to bring this beauty in and it had to be one of my lifes greatest moments.

http://www.paddlebc.com/album/salmonkim1.htm

I've been "kayak-fishing" for years. Any good ocean kayak will do (preferably one with bulkheads & rudder) and then it's just a matter of hooking up a decent rod holder (I just bungie cord on a pvc stem) and trolling your gear. Here is a pic of a spring I caught up in the Brooks area a couple of years ago. Took 40 minutes to bring this beauty in and it had to be one of my lifes greatest moments.

http://www.paddlebc.com/album/salmonkim1.htm

Seen a few guys fishing off otter point in kayaks,always wondered about boating one,cool picture,now if you hook a seal you could jam your hand on the reel and really go for a spin.DAN

Seen a few guys fishing off otter point in kayaks,always wondered about boating one,cool picture,now if you hook a seal you could jam your hand on the reel and really go for a spin.DAN

I have one of those blow up sevylor "banana boats" which could be loosely termed a kayak. I got into it about 15 years ago when I tried a float tube for flyfishing but was apalled at the lack of mobility in the tube. These sevylor boats are probably one step up from toy status but can be extremely versatile and are quite stable. I've used it for it's original purpose of freshwater fly fishing as well as putting out crab traps while camping at Pachena, (my salmon boat was tied up in Bamfield), flyfishing for coho off Chestermans and McKenzie beach in Tofino, and even kayak surfing. (I now own a real surf kayak since I found out it was so much fun.)It might be a cheap way to give it a try before spending the bucks for a hard shell.
T2

I have one of those blow up sevylor "banana boats" which could be loosely termed a kayak. I got into it about 15 years ago when I tried a float tube for flyfishing but was apalled at the lack of mobility in the tube. These sevylor boats are probably one step up from toy status but can be extremely versatile and are quite stable. I've used it for it's original purpose of freshwater fly fishing as well as putting out crab traps while camping at Pachena, (my salmon boat was tied up in Bamfield), flyfishing for coho off Chestermans and McKenzie beach in Tofino, and even kayak surfing. (I now own a real surf kayak since I found out it was so much fun.)It might be a cheap way to give it a try before spending the bucks for a hard shell.
T2

I've never used a "blow up" boat like the Sevylor kayaks so I'm just going from my experience. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable landing a scrappy fish, sharp hooks and fish bonker flying in a blow up craft. You can usually find a suitable hard shell ocean kayak for around a $1000 (ie. plastic) in the Buy & Sell. You'll save a ton in gas!

I've never used a "blow up" boat like the Sevylor kayaks so I'm just going from my experience. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable landing a scrappy fish, sharp hooks and fish bonker flying in a blow up craft. You can usually find a suitable hard shell ocean kayak for around a $1000 (ie. plastic) in the Buy & Sell. You'll save a ton in gas!

I like the mobility that I think I will get from a kayak. Also, the price isn't all that bad considering it's also fairly environmentally friendly.

I will using it for beach fishing salmon.

P.S. Great picture Wildheart. I like that feeling too! :D

Kayak action from Alaska.
70771d1185833249-400lb-salmon-shark-kayak-img_4118b-small-.jpg

70772d1185833249-400lb-salmon-shark-kayak-img_4120b-small-.jpg

I think Kayak fishing is a lot of fun. I watched "you tube video" the other day about a young hippie in Alaska kayaked and hooked up a big halibut and pulled it to the beach. It wasn't harpooned. Young campers managed to help him to haul that 77 pound halibut out of water with kayak paddles bonking!

I have heard a kayaker hooked a halibut while fishing for rockcod or coho somewhere in Tofino. Another boat came in to help and harpoon the halibut for a lucky kayaker. lots of fish and chips!

Actually Hobiecat makes a very cool fishing Kayak. It's a sit-on-top version with a paddle drive system called the Mirage Drive http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/miragedrive.html. Speaking with guys who have tried it, the paddles are very efficient and you can get the kayak going almost as fast as a standard sit-on-top. The bonus is that your hands are free for flyfishing or reeling in your catch. The paddles sit about 20" below the boat so river fishing would be tough but it would be a great way to fish the kelp beds. Of course, you can combine a paddle plus the pedals and really go fast.

Link doesn't appear to work -- either try this one or just go to the Products section: http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_outfitterfisherman.html

thanks for the great replies. i'll be on the water with my kayak next year.

quote:Originally posted by haverodwilltravel

Just discovered that they make kayaks specifically suited for anglers. I just love the idea. Anybody here into it? If you are could you make some recommendations as to where I might get started finding a suitable kayak?

Hi Haverod, have you had any luck in purchasing your Fishing Kayak yet? Are you in Victoria or close to the vicinity? If so, I loved to go kayak fishing!

I have an SOT Ocean Kayak that I use for fishing, lots of fun. Got it locally at the Coastal WaterSport, Craig is a really nice guy. He owns the place and will let you test paddle with gear and everything. Anyways, good luck to you and let me know if you're still looking.

VP

quote:Originally posted by spitfire

There's a you tube video of a guy dorado fishing from a kyak.
Looks like fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVtHTUAXfLs

:D Yup, I've seen this one before and it's a great feeling. I can relate because when the fish is hooked, the feeling of getting towed in a kayak by a fish is something hard to describe.

Unfortunately for me, when I first took my kayak to Sombrio Beach, I didn't have much experience. I cast a metal Zinger and allow it to hit the bottom, bounce a couple of times and something grabbed onto it. I fought for 3 hours to try and bring this fish to the surface but no such luck. Everytime it came near the surface, the water would churn. When I pulled it straight up, it was dead weight! I even called out another fellow from the beach and he brought his canoe, tied to mine and we were towed around the bay. Eventually I gave up as the tide was changing and the wind picked up. Also, my Salmon Reel broke and I had to cut the line.:(

I never did get to see what it was, the guys thought I might have hooked a Halibut. Man, I'd love to try that again.[8D]

VP

Back