Kayak Fishing...anyone here do this?

D

DHA

I really want to start kayak fishing out in the ocean...off the banks - anyone here, do this?

I am going to do this really soon...jigging, trolling - salmon and hali. I am doing it. Who has a paddle boat set up for extreme fishing?

I am going to do this in 2012 - 25 miles offshore. Yep, I am.

DHA.

Figure you're joking,but what the heck, I'll bite. I think the ultimate would be one of these:
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/mirage/adventure-island/

Having an outrigger gives you stability, so you can lean hard on one side ... pretty hard to land a big fish in a tippy kayak. Pedal power means two hands free while trolling. Or set up the sail, good to go. :)

For me, I'm all about catching a fish off my stand up paddle board ... boat it out to swiftsure, then let the fun unfold.

I am going to get a hobie with the mirage unit, but not the adventure island...too rich for me. Oh, and nope - I am not joking, I am doing it. :)

DHA.

$3700 on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobie-Mirag...922?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6dea7c2a

you know you want it....get the best!

the sail part is a fun novelty, but the outrigger would really help. I think fishing for fish of significance might be a bit sketchy in regular kayaks -- though I know people do it, there's a kayak fishing club that has a derby on Van Island. That outrigger would make it more do-able I think. I know the folks that lived on sombrio beach had a canoe that they built an outrigger on, and they'd halibut fish from it. Some biggies up there!

I have the Hobie Pro-angler.
If your looking for a fishing kayak, this is the one to get! It has the mirage drive, a nice comfy seat, I have a fish finder installed with the transducer shooting through the hull. It'll do 13 Mph (for really short distances). the only negative I find with mine is it is really heavy (100lbs), but you can get the wheels that plug into the scupper holes and makes transporting it to the beach easier.

I am going to look at some tomorrow...hope they have a few different models.

DHA.

I think you're on east coast? If in sooke, they have them at sooke harbour marina -- and could rent one to try it out before you buy.
Check out ebay.com and amazon.com, in case prices are much lower in usa ... can always get it shipped to bellingham, point roberts, or port angeles and pick it up....could save a few $$.

I have been fishing lots out of my kayak (freshwater) and I must say it is very addictive. If you haven't already, you should watch the pilot episode of "catching on" on Fishtactics.com. It's fairly entertaining and one of the guys uses a hobie kayak.
One thing that occurred to me is that to the fish a kayak with flippers on the bottom must look alot like an orca from the beneath.... i wonder if it affects the catch?. I am hoping to get out on the chuck this coming year, I just got into kayak fishing towards the end of the season and I haven't had the stones (or the portable VHF) to go out on the ocean by myself.
Also the host of the "Kayak Fishing" tv show has lots of good safety and fishing tips on his website. Good Luck!

This guy is the reason that I want to get into yak fishing - he came into PNT a few days before this trip. I gave him some tips for Alberni.

DHA.

[-yFstSCvlpg] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yFstSCvlpg&feature=plcp&context=C3306e52UDOEgsToPDskIQgBzO33xhH140g8R1yQH7

Wow!! nice fight and nice fish,
Thanks for sharing Rob and Merry Christmas to you

When you said kayak I thought it was kinda crazy, but that was awesome. I have a friend that fished Otter Point in a kayak and he said the hardest part was netting the fish, but than again he never had the outriggers. With the outriggers and the trampoline set-up that would make a big difference. It's also cool how that sail retracts. All that said I don't think I would go to the bank and back in one. Unless it was hitching a ride there and back on a bigger boat. Another thing that I have seen is guys in kayaks and in stead of a sail they have a kite that pull them. Anyway cool video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill from Scotty has been trying to do the Kayak thing off shore. He just never got good flat weather last season when he was up in Bamfield. I'm sure he will do it eventually. Very cool, and also a little bit scary getting towed around by a fish.

@searun,

The only thing to fear is fear itself...a man made emotion. ;)

Here is the same fellow in another video battling a sturgeon on the Fraser, and the main reason why I decided back in the summer that I am going to do this in 2012.

[lHPBgghF9zo] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHPBgghF9zo&feature=plcp&context=C3a3fe28UDOEgsToPDskL9AtqMRsMy5K8_CrXjbGRC

DHA.

That guy does some ballsy stuff in his Kayak and it looks cool and all but that is no way to handle a Sturgeon. No reason to put it through such a long fight and no reason to tail noose it. He was so close to shore he could have hopped out and handled it properly. I hope he's not planning to do any more of that...

@Bifmalibu,

I wouldn't concern yourself too much...it was his first time ever fishing for sturgeon.

DHA.

There's guys regularly off Muir in the summer, of course on calm days. They are in the pedal unit and one guy had a small downrigger. I watched a guy one night off Otter play and lose 3 fish because he could not net them. Then theres the annual yak derby in Moucha bay every year.

Go on line and check out Jim Sammons his show is on Sunday night on WFN, he fishes all over north and south America out of a Kayak. He was once towed for 11 miles by a Marlin!
Stosh

Back