kayak fishing 2015

Tsquared

Thought I'd get a thread started for kayak fishing for the new year. Give your thoughts, trip reports, tips etc.. to help bring the sport along here in BC. Warning though--it's addictive....
I'm going after halibut on Sunday, launching at Muir Creek west of Sooke about 8ish, if anyone is interested in joining me, let me know.
T2

WEnt out this AM from 9-noon for halibut. I fished in 185-190 ft of water using salmon scraps for bait but no luck for me. It was 10 degrees, mostly sunny with a 10-12 knot breeze blowing. I should have brought my sea anchor but using the pedals and rudder control on the hobie to keep the bow into the wind was manageable. The power booaters fishing near me had no luck either. I caught that breeze when I turned for my launch point and got up to 7 mph before I buried the bow and had to reef the sail halfway in to slow down. Great day on the water.
T2

Anyone know what the access is like at Jordan River now that the CRD is saying you can't camp there? They must have to leave the gate open for surfers. I'm looking to go halibut fishing on Saturday.

Anyone know what the access is like at Jordan River now that the CRD is saying you can't camp there? They must have to leave the gate open for surfers. I'm looking to go halibut fishing on Saturday.

The gate was open on Monday

Good luck and hope to hear a report.

I'm looking to go the 1st week of april with my zodiac, might bring my kayak too if the forecast permits.

edited for unfair local knowledge of a place I don't fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thread tsq.
I am thinking of getting a fishing kayak this year .
What do you recommend for sizing and accessories for a kayak.

Depends on how you fish. I do a lot of trolling so I prefer a Hobie kayak which has a pedal drive and sail, thus keeping my hands free for handling the rod and fish. If you plan to jig most of the time, the pedal drive is not so critical. A 13 ft kayak would be a minimum size. A good fish finder is important to me as well as a good rod holder.
Keep me posted about your choices.
T2

In addition to Tsquareds recommendations I have a cheap garmin GPS w/ maps. I do a lot of jigging so seeing rocks, reefs and such makes a huge difference. I fish out of a Nucanoe 12' Classic w/ 40lb Minn Kota Riptide 40lbs, but I lust for a Nucanoe Frontier 12'.

Anybody heading out this coming Monday? I am thinking of heading out in the early am for some halibut/flounder jigging...

I was out at Jordan River today looking for halibut, with my usual luck! :( . It was calm, grey and rainy, with a light flood tide. I tried a spot shallower than I usually fish for halibut--from 65 to 85 ft of water, but the only life I saw were a couple of pairs of harbour porpoise--they are shy little guys and won't come over and say hello like their cousins will. It was nice to run into an old friend at the launch, he and a couple of other kayak guides were kayak surfing on the break west of the river. My buddy has forgotten more about kayak technique than I'll ever know. (He circumnavigated Vancouver Island by kayak a few years ago, and has guided for years.) he is not a fisherman so he wants me to take him out salmon fishing in the yaks this summer. Since he taught me how to surf kayak back in the '90's, I couldn't be more delighted to return the favour.
It was great to be out on the water!
Sorry Big shank, I'm back to work on Monday.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe another time Tsquared. Sounds like a couple of good friends of mine who also happen to be kayak guides/surfers. They travel quite a bit doing symposiums.

The last time I was fishing out that way, was East Sombrio (I hiked my yak all the way to the end of the beach for the weekend of camping). I had to time it and push through the surf(overhead) to get out past the rollers. Had no bites but a huge Fin whale of some kind snuck up within 20 feet of me before I noticed him. All the other campers thought I was nuts for going fishing in those conditions. My kayak is a 9' white water kayak from the late 90's shaped like a bullet surf board and surfs, as well as fishes, quite nicely...

I am thinking of heading into the Haro straight Monday from Sydney south of the anacortes ferry, and drifting to the powder dock at James island. Should be good for some starry flounders and hopefully a chicken.

Back