K12 flatfish problem

sss

Went lake trolling on the weekend and my K12 Flatfish kept floating to the surface and spinning. My brother was having the same problem. Never had this happen before. No weight or gang troll and going dead slow. Like I said earlier, never had this happen before and haven't change from the normal routine. Anyone else experience this problem?

That sounds odd. They are designed to dig but you usually need a jet diver/dipsy diver or a slip sinker to get into the zone. Maybe you didn't have enough line out? Did you tie your leader directly to the plug or were you using a swivel?

Tied the leader to the quick release that comes with the plug. At least 100' behind the boat.

make sure the wire eye is 100% vertical, then try it beside the boat and tune the eye in tiny increments to stop any spinning. if that doesn't work, go even slower(drag a bucket), or try a heavier hook. (k12 is kwikfish not flatfish)

Look it over very close....look for bulges or cracking. I have had the same problem a few times.....if they sit near soft plastics or other certain plastics it will react with them and they swell and crack and then they will not dive.some times the bulge or crack may be very slight.

Had this problem with one a few years ago found that it had cracked and water got inside caused it to rotate a complete 360 ever so often but it was a deadly thing for fish, caught a 28 lb laker on it,and a few others . I wasnt aware that this was the reason for catching these fish and I removed water from it and recoated it with epoxy and have never caught another fish on it. Could be that the same thing happened to your lure, try shaking it to see if you can hear water inside.

It sounds like you are describing what my fishing buddies and I termed, "it's ginked!" This can occur when the hook (especially a treble) flip around and hook themselves on the body of the kwickfish. The other version of this is the leader fouled at the eye of the lure. We found these occure most often when you set your lines quickly without enough weight to put constant drag on the lure. Our practice is to release the lure slowly behind the boat with firm pressure on your line at all times as you set to desired distance/depth. Even if you use weight you should feel the vibration of the lure at all times. This ginking also occures on a hit and miss by the fish.

Edit for: You can always speed up the boat for lure set and then slow down. This does make it easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back