Am I reading this right?

The 2012 Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 25th. A total of
five (5) chinook have been caught in the standard chinook net; an additional
eight (8) chinook have been caught in the multi-panel net. The CPUE input into
the model continues to be below the lower range of historical CPUE's used to
parameterize the model (1995 to 2010, excluding 2007). Based on the CPUE, for
the period May 6 to June 9, the current predicted return to the mouth of the
Fraser of Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook in the aggregate ranges from 30,000
to 73,000 chinook (median of 47,060) or 86% probability of being in zone 2.

There not basing this model on 13 fish?

5 fish actually. i dont think they count the multi panel net.

Laughable at best. But ill take it!

Lorne

What about the 120 reported FN fish?

It seems that DFO might be listening.

YES i know that lippy im talking about ALL the fisherman on lower van island

214 have been reported caught in cerimonial fisheries so far, wonder what the actual number is...

jeez, wonder what all the recreational fisheries have been catching? emm? DFO can put FN fish catch number up, but where is the recreational sectors numbers? eh? no monitoring happening with rec's. wide opening fishing 2 per day, i hear many of you catch more than that, or you catch your "limit" bring it home and go out again. ohhh, FN caught 214! they just opened after June! "Recreation" fishing has never closed! you just move from one closed areas to another.

So can ask you declining stocks what you do for the run to help enhancement? A lot of us sport fishers are involved with enhancement groups, so what we take out we tray to put back in. Don't come on the forum and trash talk the sports guys we all do a lot, and are concerned with the low numbers.

High Five

oh, sorry did i hurt your feelings, as you are out fishing the last of the early timed chinook. you say your concerned but you keep on fishing, unmonitored, no manadory rules to hand in CWT heads. boo hoo. gooble, gooble eat that last fish! put back what you take! ha ha. that is why each stock is declining, oh sorry right the indians are fishing it all, that is why there used to be millions now there is only 100's. early stuarts, early chinook, early summer sockeye, interior fraser coho, all declining but hey keep fishing! and blaming the commerials and FN, but don't look in the mirror.

This might be an open forum but you come here with a closed mind depleting stocks.

So what is the answer? How many chinook have been taken in the recreation fisheries since, let's say, march 2012? Say only 30 of those days were fish able, 30 x 2 = 60 times 1000 fisher people around Vancouver island = 60000 chinook? Not reported ...

That math is a gross exaggeration. I've retained 4 springs in 15-20 or so trips this year. 1 from sooke and 3 from gabriola. And I fish a lot more than the average joe.

If you read the reports there have been lots of skunk days for lots of experienced fishermen this year. Sure the guides have a much higher success rate but there certainly aren't 1000 of them fishing that many days in that time period. It's been a wet and windy spring.

Also think of the slot limits in certain areas. Not only would all these fishermen have to catch their limit they would have to catch their limit inside the slot restrictions.

If I were to venture a wild guess I'd say it's more like 6000 - 7000 so far this year and from a huge variety of stocks (fraser, squamish, columbia etc.)

WOW I think he must work for or with DFO and voodoo math Ive been in sooke now for over 2 weeks and I can count on 1 hand the number of boats ive seen out there on some days it wasnt until about 4 days ago I saw more than 10 boats All you have to do is go down to any marina and see all the boats or shall I say LACK of boats, You just like DFO are so misuniformed with what is really going on. but good try troll!!!!!

Most of the Island fishing spots haven't even come into there season yet. Sooke/Victoria are the exceptions as there traditionally is an early season. We have protected waters and a big local population....but as Wolf says nobody has been salmon fishing. The local spots are like boat deserts. The most boats I've fished with is maybe 8 boats. Also just to drive a point home...I killed 0 fish this June (released everything) until today and killed my first one.

You guys are a blast! Not once have I called anyone names but the truth must sting a bit eh? What have I done? In stream restorations, stream bank rehabilitation work with local hatchery attend meeting on aquaculture, steelheAd ( the other salmon/trout in major decline). Oh and support ms. Morton. so only 6000 to 7000 chinook taken in recreation fishing eh? I guess only " open" minds have to be ones like yours that smacks of "hate thee local first nations". Oh and commies. Right?

Pull your lines in, Dogfish in the area!

aww, come on now, stop drinking the hater-aide and start drinking the bubble T. i alway enjoy watching how SOME of you guys can degrade from caring about salmon, "yea DFO didn't put SLOT limits based on 5 salmon, RIGHT ON!" to hating anyone who "insults" with the truth. Thanks for the chuckle. i am going to TROLL on!!! ya hooooo.

Well if you must, so long, so sad, too bad, GOOD BYE!

aww, come on now, stop drinking the hater-aide and start drinking the bubble T. i alway enjoy watching how SOME of you guys can degrade from caring about salmon, "yea DFO didn't put SLOT limits based on 5 salmon, RIGHT ON!" to hating anyone who "insults" with the truth. Thanks for the chuckle. i am going to TROLL on!!! ya hooooo.

There are a few beauts on this forum all right! Good on ya declining stocks for calling some of these meat hungry clowns out.

Dave, waiting for the uproar ...

AVPPw.gif

There are a few beauts on this forum all right! Good on ya declining stocks for calling some of these meat hungry clowns out.

Dave, waiting for the uproar ...

Good morning, soo High Five just insists on having the last word. but no comment on; Recreation sector 6000-7000 early chinook, unregulated, unmonitored, no CWT's vs. FN (at the time this thread started) 214. no comment on how DFO manages based on 5 chinook caught in a test fishery 40 km up river (after High FIve went fishing). oh, wait, is that the wind? nope, just High Five whinning. oh wait was he the one who buys a ticket for some fundraiser every year and figures he is doing something awesome towards saving and rebuilding the stocks???? LOL.

Back