It's only money right??? Remote steering or Auto pilot?

So, I took a step and bought the Lowrance kit from HC. Now I need some help from the Hydraulic Steering experts. My helms are Uflex UP-28 from about 2010. I am trying to confirm whether my Helm fittings are ORB6 or 1/4 NPT. The fittings are brass. I see online that Brass Uflex fittings are generally 1/4 NPT and the ORB6 fittings are Nickel. Can anyone confirm that they are 1/4 NPT, and does anyone have a good source for these parts? I tried calling Uflex but they just quote using their Autopilot kit that taps into the existing lines. Due to access problems, I'd prefer to go the fittings into the helm route.

Attachments

• Helm.jpg
    Helm.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Those are 1/4 npt to compression. 1/4 npt into the back of the helm. The seastar hoses connect to the compression fitting.

To be clear you have a modern Yamaha cable steer system not our dad’s old pulley and cable!
Yes its a spiral cable. I had it connected to a "no feed back steering" mechanism behind the wheel and it holds the wheel in place which prevents the outboard from pulling to the side or flopping.

sn’t the cable pilot more money and then you still have to deal with future cable headaches. seems the perfect time to find a used helm and ram and switch to hydraulic or even buy a new system.
TOTALLY, ill be honest I want to control MY boat .. I see clowns out there often with these so called auto pilot and all the do is ignore whats going on around them . Ive had to almost climb on my roof yelling or on my horn as they have there head down not paying attention. I think they would be great in places where there isnt another boat around, thats about it.

TOTALLY, ill be honest I want to control MY boat .. I see clowns out there often with these so called auto pilot and all the do is ignore whats going on around them . Ive had to almost climb on my roof yelling or on my horn as they have there head down not paying attention. I think they would be great in places where there isnt another boat around, thats about it.
You have a 30’ boat that is built like a tank and tracks like it’s on rails. The rest of us with 20’ boats or aluminums find the boat starts doing a u -turn if trolling into the wind or dropping one downrigger. Also great if zoning out a bit at the helm on the 11th hour fishing. I can generally zone out for a while without hitting other boats, or getting in way to shallow. Lastly after a drift bottom fishing or after catching a fish you find yourself 400yds away from where you want to be. Set the AP and rerig your gear, clean up a bit and then you are back on your spot. So good.

I am looking at putting in a new Furuno nav 300 pilot anyone have any thought about if they are good or bad

They are awsome. Aluminum boats need the satellite compass. The PG 700 heading sensor doesn't work well through a metal hull. Other than that they are sweet.

Lol ... so says the person that doesnt doesnt have it😉 I know a far chunk of the guys here and its just not that way . Of course there is always that person that you describe but tell me u dont think it be one of may things and I would say everyone has be caught with are heads down because of something going on... I for one have been.. usually I say sorry when they go bye.... try it on your boat before u sling it .. 😉😀

Lol ... so says the person that doesnt doesnt have it😉 I know a far chunk of the guys here and its just not that way . Of course there is always that person that you describe but tell me u dont think it be one of may things and I would say everyone has be caught with are heads down because of something going on... I for one have been.. usually I say sorry when they go bye.... try it on your boat before u sling it .. 😉😀
Oh I have been on many that do like I said when no ones around awesome yes I liked it!!!! I run does cost warrent the use . not really IMO as i like to spend my very harded earned money on over priced bait LOL LOL. And yes im guilty on not paying attention on the odd time.

I will say the worse one ive been on and used had to be that TR1 one where the kicer was constantly vibrating back and forth all day long kinda drove me nuts. and constantlly broken down.

I have the lil sterrring whell at back and going strong 15 years with out a problem ill stick to that ...KISS

Like the title says ITS ONLY MONEY !!!! got a buddy who has installed so much stuff on his boat and uses it maybe 8 times a year.

B.O.A.T Bring out another thousand NOW though the "t" stands for TEN thousand LOL LOL

Last edited:
Lol.. u just described a large percentage of the fishermen and nothing wrong with improving are boat so we can be the best at our craft called fishing... I believe it's called a compulsive fish dis order.😉 However u and I are very lucky we can go fish more then most.... I feel very fortunate that I get as many days as I do🤣

Like the title says ITS ONLY MONEY !!!! got a buddy who has installed so much stuff on his boat and uses it maybe 8 times a year.

B.O.A.T Bring out another thousand NOW though the "t" stands for TEN thousand LOL LOL
I've used my boat 8 times in one week before hahahaha but I'm out fairly regularly - year round. From taking 30 min for crabbing before and after work, to sand dabs with the kids.... Of course Hali and Salmon when in season. Heck I've caught a salmon on a lunch break and been back to the office in time (with the fish in the staff fridge).

I'm one of those guys who has almost everything for the boat. Its like the ultimate custom toy. For me an autopilot and remote control for stern steering makes sense.

If he uses it 8 times than that's 8 times he never used a guide like u. Autopilot bought and paid along with gas money. Seems to make sense numbers wise. Haha....

OH I agree I like my toys too but cost has to warrent use . times are tough and gonna get tougher me id rather spend 3 grand towards another trip somewhere to fish.

ive got an autopilot dilemma... boat came with a ray marine setup with an st8002 head unit, hydraulic pump computer heading sensor and a bad rudder feedback sensor. I repaired the loose magnet in the hydraulic pump motor, purchased a new rudder feedback sensor, but since adding an hds 12 where the 9 used to be im out of dash space. I really like the ST8002 head unit, its got a rotary knob for heading changes, but the lowrance autopilot would be more integrated with the HDS unit.... I just wish they supported the simrad dash mounted control and steady steer.
IMO you shouldn't have to screw around on your plotter to select the nav page, to adjust heading or go standby to steer the boat away from a hazard. a stead steer valve and an op12 controller would be nice but they're not compatible with an nac-1.... only the nac-2 which isn't compatible with an hds. im not overly impressed with lowrance's cookie cutter kit. might just have to stick with the ray marine stuff I already have and figure out where to mount it

Last edited:
Simrad calls theirs VRF, Virtual rudder feedback. Worked with support for months, never got it working properly, they even gave me a new autopilot, no dice. I finally installed a proper feedback unit, has worked flawlessly since.

Just following up with this. Have to say the autopilot especially with the remote is a complete gamechanger.

Tested it out quite a bit. Just having the ability to track boat straight during windy conditions especially a great feature. Setting gear you seem to pay more attention to the fishing etc. Find you also pay more attention to hazards around you.

What's cool is the remote disengages anytime and I have full control in front or my stern steering. The front also has an override switch as well.

The only thing I don't really like is moving at higher speeds with it on moving to a waypoint. It's a bit of a weird feeling have the boat steer itself.

For trolling etc. though it's pretty slick. Route feature is very useful as you can set against a contour line.

Last edited:
Back