It's official, 2 Halibut a day in BC Sept 1st

stones93

Its official....the daily catch limit for halibut in B.C. will be 2 per day starting Sept. 1. Size and annual limits still apply. Please check the regulations for details.

Wow that's interesting. I guess halibut has been slow this year or DFO is mis-counting or not many anglers are targeting them (makes little sense with slow salmon).

Very interesting I'm not sure what to make of it.

That's wicked thank you again SFAB groups on all of the island and mainland, groundfish working group and SVIAC on south island. I am sure there were a lot of behind the scenes work that made that happen. I didn't do any halibut fishing so will game on in Sept. What great news for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its official....the daily catch limit for halibut in B.C. will be 2 per day starting Sept. 1. Size and annual limits still apply. Please check the regulations for details.
Still only allowed 6 per year. . my license is full... wonder if they thought to up the total allowable to catch from 6 to 8?

The DFO and Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) Halibut Committee meets monthly
throughout the season to review estimated catches. At the most recent meeting,
it was determined that the recreational fishery harvest to July 31, 2014 was
approx. 575,735 pounds of the recreational fishery's Total Allowable Catch of
1,057,500 pounds.

Given the current management measures in effect and catch forecasts to December
31, 2014, DFO is proceeding with the following change:

Effective September 1 through to December 31, the daily limit will be increased
from 1 fish per day to two fish per day.

All other management measures as noted in Fishery Notice 0076 remain in effect.

In summary:

Effective September 1 until December 31, 2014:
- The maximum length for halibut is 133cm.
- The daily limit for halibut is two (2).
- The possession limit for halibut is two (2), only one of which may be greater
than 90cm in length.
- There is an annual limit of six (6) halibut (per licence holder) as
authorized under the 2014/2015 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.
- All halibut retained by the licence holder shall be immediately recorded in
ink on the 2014-2015 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence. The area from which
each halibut is caught and its length shall immediately be recorded on license.

The exceptions to these openings are:

Areas 121, 23 and 123:
Currently in effect to 23:59 hours December 31, 2014:

- No person shall fish for or retain halibut, rockfish and lingcod in Area 121
outside the 12 nautical mile limit seaward of a line that begins at 48 degrees
34.000 minutes North latitude and 125 degrees 17.386 minutes West longitude and
continues south easterly at a bearing of 116 degrees True to a point at 48
degrees 28.327 minutes North latitude and 125 degrees 01.687 minutes West
longitude.

Area 121:
A reminder to recreational harvesters, that the waters of Swiftsure Bank,
inside a line from 48°34.00'N and 125°06.00'W, thence to 48°34.00'N and 124°
54.20'W, thence to 48°29.62'N and 124°43.40'W, thence following the
International Boundary between Canada and the U.S. to 48°29.55'N and 124°
56.20'W, thence in a straight line to the point of commencement, are closed to
all finfish, all year.

Non-residents of Canada wishing to fish for and retain halibut in Management
Areas 121, 23 and 123 must purchase an electronic licence through a Canadian
vendor.

Variation Order: 2014-391

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact: Devona Adams 604-666-3271, Adam, Keizer 604-666-0912 or Neil Davis 604-
666-9033.
Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0906
Sent August 28, 2014 at 1315

All the same limits apply to size, possession and annual limits. It's just the daily limit is now 2 instead of 1. Get out there.

Limit of 2 but only 1 can be over 90cm.
Remember your license limit of 6 has to get you through the spring season until March.31/ 15

This 2 fish limit is till Dec. 31/ 2014 then we will have to stay tuned.

Good news... Sorta?

Tips

Limit of 2 but only 1 can be over 90cm.

Ahhh... thanks for that reminder I didn't clue into that part I was picturing 2 per day under 133cm. I guess because I fish local I never think about the 90cm undersize it's just been one and I'm done - which is still the case if you catch anything of decent size.

Nice I suppose that if a small one bites first you can keep it and try for another instead of the debate do I relelase this and hope for another (then get skunked) or keep it and quit early and miss out on a 40.

so we should be about 200k under TAC by year end....will that involve any transfer or just a pat on the back for job well done?

Finally this makes way more sense and will put more money to a lot of west coast communities. Way to go SFAB !

Wish I could take advantage of it, now to open up the nonsense slot or at least allow one big fish per year per angler, of the allotted 6. After all commercial and native and the quota purchasing suckers kill any thing.

I like this.It means that nothing is written in stone,and they're willing to adapt their regulations to make it work for us all.
Must say I was a little pesemistic at first.Good news!

Finally this makes way more sense and will put more money to a lot of west coast communities. Way to go SFAB !

Wish I could take advantage of it, now to open up the nonsense slot or at least allow one big fish per year per angler, of the allotted 6. After all commercial and native and the quota purchasing suckers kill any thing.

Yes, way to go SFAB, two straight years of much over regulation, 200+k last year, 100-120+k this year when all is said and done. Good job...

While this is good news for the few that fish September onwards, it doesn't make up for the once again much over regulation.

Sounds good to me. Let's see where this goes from here.

We had an increase in size this year, now a two a day limit (still 2 possession) starting Sept. 1st, a longer season (again), and three threads on the subject LOL!!!

We have had a couple of bad years past us now. It seems to be improving with positive results :). Kudos to all involved that took the time and volunteered to make this happen :cool:.

yes this is good news.
are the regulations saying area 123 is exempt from the new regulation and still 1 hali per day? that's how i'm reading it. I see where 121 is exempt and they give alot of info on that, but not much info on 123...

I'm wondering about the same thing. Looks to me like the increased daily limit does not apply for area 123?

Id rather see it carried over like the commies and hey lets get rid of the size limit....we have had months now to get our 6 halibut if you werent able to during the "peak" months it only gets harder now..good news YES but after 2 years in a row of going under ....whats next??
just my thoughts...

Wolf

I do agree with carrying forward but on the other hand - use it or lose it. IMO everyone fighting for rec halibut has been doing a great job getting us open FEB 1st this year through DEC 31st! Plus the upper slot got a bit bigger lower got bigger and now 2 per day. We're going in the right direction for a change.

I hope it carries on. Every year we will face cries of cut the season short so mostly guides can tub big fish but I'd much rather stay the course and keep making small improvements while keeping the season Feb 1st - Dec 31st as it should be. Halibut fishing is still good in the fall for those who head out and I've got lots of friends with 0 halibut on their license as we all do I'm sure. Lots of opportunity.

agree x3
a carry over makes alot more sense
or make the proper adjustments to keep 2 next season , also kinda agree on the use it or lose it !!!
most tourists are now done for the season ,
woulda been nice to keep 2 when we ventured offshore , releasing incidental ping pong paddles
was a tough pill to swallow

great win for the locals and late season vacationers for sure..

m2b

fd

I do agree with carrying forward but on the other hand - use it or lose it. IMO everyone fighting for rec halibut has been doing a great job getting us open FEB 1st this year through DEC 31st! Plus the upper slot got a bit bigger lower got bigger and now 2 per day. We're going in the right direction for a change.

I hope it carries on. Every year we will face cries of cut the season short so mostly guides can tub big fish but I'd much rather stay the course and keep making small improvements while keeping the season Feb 1st - Dec 31st as it should be. Halibut fishing is still good in the fall for those who head out and I've got lots of friends with 0 halibut on their license as we all do I'm sure. Lots of opportunity.

Agree I am one of the ones with my son that has only 1 on license...so keeping it open in fall I am all for it..... Guys have been doing good down here last week...

Back