Is this what everyone is paying for insurance

I paid $1289 this year through Premier Marine Insurance.
I am covered for $136K plus $2M liability which most marinas insist on prior to moorage. The basic policy includes all inside waters and I increased navigation limits to include the West coast of VI and the North coast of BC up to 20 miles from shore.

Just went through getting my new aluminum done-had a lot of trouble because it was a custom and everything came from different suppliers- really only Portside and Dolphin seemed to know what was going on. Coast even wanted a survey within 60 days of a binder-the boat and motors were brand new!! Anyway went with Portside specifically ocean--who knew it was cheaper fresh water!! 60K-total, 2 million liability-no accidents claims for 50 years SVOP-etc etc 674-boat has to be stored at home from dec1 to mar 1. Best deal that suited me. Dolphin got it and was easy to deal with but more expensive possibly slightly better coverage. 65K although only needed 60.

how many people run without insurance?
I don’t run any on my smaller boats used around home. I have a 12’ Lund and 9.9 kicker on small trailer used for backwoods lakes behind the quad and a 16.5 Lund side console walleye boat. Of course while trailered they are covered by the vehicle insurance and while in the shop I have my shop contents insured. Any theft thats all covered under the house insurance.

I noticed that beacon had me paying 2 mill liability on my 23 hourston. I asked them if the marine liability act limited the claims to 1 million per occurrence, they said yes it does and dropped it to 1 million.

I am relatively sure that the Marine Liability Act only covers commercial vessels , not recreational vessels.

I am relatively sure that the Marine Liability Act only covers commercial vessels , not recreational vessels.
Pretty sure it applies to all vessels. The acts do not discriminate unless it says so. In this case it appears that means if you're paddling or full of air
36 (1) For the purposes of this Part and Articles 1 to 22 of the Convention,
  • (a) the definition ship in Article 1 of the Convention shall be read as including any vessel or craft designed, used or capable of being used solely or partly for navigation, whether seagoing or not, but not including an air cushion vehicle or a vessel propelled manually by paddles or oars; and

Last edited:
Pacific Marine Insurance

$3,873.00

Underwritten by Lloyd's

Covered Moorage year round

27'11' JaxonCraft

Twin 200HP Suzuki's

2 Million Liability (as per marina requirements)

1652815888847.png
1652845871896.png

Last edited:
I just went through this song and dance in March putting insurance on my new boat. After getting multiple quotes it seemed like $10 per every $1000 in value was pretty much the industry standard right now for any boats over $50k.

Something to keep in mind for others reading these posts that might be renewing their insurance - due to the rise in boat prices you can’t replace your car topper for under $30k any more, so make sure you are insuring your boat at a high enough value.

Pacific Marine Insurance

$3,873.00

Underwritten by Lloyd's

Covered Moorage year round

27'11' JaxonCraft

Twin 200HP Suzuki's

2 Million Liability (as per marina requirements)

View attachment 79714
View attachment 79770
Looks like well over 20 miles offshore?

Did anyone else find good coverage for Tuna and possibly for Alaska/WA/OR/CA/MX coverage? My broker couldn't find me coverage for Tuna last year.

My insurance $1315 for $2M liability and $85K coverage on 23' Hourston - Trading Warranty 3 [farther offshore than I go]. Thru Arthur J Gallagher.

Back