Is this another “Money Grab”?

I can't imagine they would approve something of the likes that could potentially impact all GPS communications. That would be catastrophic. Think about air traffic, shipping traffic... so much depends on GPS now. If it messed up globally, I couldn't imagine anything much more chaotic than that. I think it's bunk.

I can't imagine they would approve something of the likes that could potentially impact all GPS communications. That would be catastrophic. Think about air traffic, shipping traffic... so much depends on GPS now. If it messed up globally, I couldn't imagine anything much more chaotic than that. I think it's bunk.
Well, it's complicated. The F.C.C. did approve it but now that decision may be revoked. Apparently Pompeo and Barr pushed the approval through for political reasons.
On May 22, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, the Commerce subcomponent that manages civilian federal spectrum, formally asked the FCC to rescind license approval to Ligado because its planned network would ’cause irreparable harm to federal government users’ of GPS. In fact, as reported in C4ISRNET.com, Congress has also expressed concerns regarding the FCC’s action.

“A bill from Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla., would escalate the potential cost facing Ligado as it moves to set up a system of networks that government agencies and commercial trade groups alike have said could damage GPS reliability inside the United States.”

The legislation would “require the company to cover the costs of any Global Positioning System user — government or commercial — that is hurt by the company’s newly approved use of L-Band spectrum.” There is plenty of support for this legislation ranging from farmer associations to companies such as Garmin and even the Pentagon.

Back