VesselView 503 and Axiom 7 not seeing engine

MiddlepointBight

Hi there,

Just installed a new VesselView 503, and am trying to tie it into my new Mercury 225hp outboard and the RayMarine Axiom 7. So far, the "Engine" icon in the main VesselView menu is nowhere to be found (just "Chart", "Nav" and "Time Plot"). I've checked several times that the connections are all as they should be. I also found another thread on the Hull Truth, where it looked like I had a solution, but it did not solve the problem:

Originally Posted by cobratom View Post
Finally got it figured out for anyone else running into this issue.
My Vesselview 403 did not go through the auto detect sources setting in the menu, as soon as I went to Network> Source> Auto detect, it auto detected the engine and everything else attached.

Anyhow, any suggestions would be hugely appreciated. I tried doing resets to factory settings, but that didn't work either.

Probably the same cause as above, but the Axiom 7 is not picking up on the Mercury engine. Do I need to purchase an additional RayMarine part? Looks like something just came out called "VESSELVIEW FOR AXIOM": https://www.raymarine.com/multifunction-displays/accessories/engine-interfacing/mercury-vesselview/

Thanks in advance! Technology......
Colin

Hey Colin, I have a similar system to yours I have an Axiom 9 MFD and a 2019 Mercury 200 Engine that communicates across the NMEA gateway. My system also had issues connecting right off the bat and we needed to update the version of software on the Axiom to "Fremantle" which was the most recent update at that point in time. There was also a Mercury Smart Craft Connect Gateway that was neccessary to be included on the NMEA Gateway, Gord at Vector Yacht Services was the wizard that put all of this together for me.

Dan

Hey Colin, I have a similar system to yours I have an Axiom 9 MFD and a 2019 Mercury 200 Engine that communicates across the NMEA gateway. My system also had issues connecting right off the bat and we needed to update the version of software on the Axiom to "Fremantle" which was the most recent update at that point in time. There was also a Mercury Smart Craft Connect Gateway that was neccessary to be included on the NMEA Gateway, Gord at Vector Yacht Services was the wizard that put all of this together for me.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Yep, I've got the NMEA gateway in there underneath the helm. Might give Gord a jingle tomorrow and pick his brain - mine is starting to hurt!

Do you have the Smarcraft module which acts as a translator for your Axiom MFD?
Yep sure do... best guess at this point is that when the engine was originally shipped, it was set to one engine location (i.e. to starboard). When I got the levers swung for the DTS controls, maybe it was then set to port or center, which means the display is looking for an engine that isn’t there.

Here is what I went thru with the Mercury/Raymarine guys so I could overlay the Mercury Data on my Raymarine Axiom MFD.

ello Dan,

Before you go too far, know that this is a 2-part system. There is software from Raymarine and hardware from Mercury required to make this work.

LightHouse 3.14 Fremantle made our end of it available. The Mercury gateway though has not been released yet.

They have a new lineup of VesselView gateways coming this summer to enable this new MFD capability on both Raymarine and Garmin systems. They were pretty particular with us that it had to be the new hardware.

I suspect that the N2K gateway you have now won’t work, unless you have early access to the new one. If you want to give it a shot though here is what you need to do to see the app.

First, tell Axiom that you are running Mercury engines, and how many you have:

1. Go to Axiom’s home screen and touch settings.
  2. Select the Boat Details tab
  3. Scroll down and touch Engine Manufacturer and select Mercury.
  4. Right next to that make the selection for the number of engines you have.
  5. The “identify engines” button remains greyed out because its not needed on Mercury installations.
  6. Exit back to the home screen by touching X

Once you do that you can add the VesselView App as a tile on the home screen. To add it.

1. Long press on any home screen tile or blank
  2. The editor screen appears. First, make sure you have a full screen layout selected. Otherwise touch the bottom at the top and make this a full screen layout. Currently VesselView can only be displayed in a full-screen layout.
  3. Scroll down and you’ll see VesselView as the last option on the bottom left. Touch it to add it to the layout and then touch NEXT.
  4. The next screen lets you rename it if you want, otherwise touch SAVE and you’ll land back on the home screen.
  5. Now you can touch the Vessel View app and it will load up.

In addition to the VesselView app, there is also a sidebar that can be opened up from any app on the system. Swipe inward from the right edge of the screen to pull the sidebar out. Touch the 3 dots on the top to see the available sidebar options and you’ll see a VesselView option there too.

In their press materials issued a few weeks ago they indicated that the new gateways would be available this summer, so hopefully they will be on the market soon and available through Mercury Marine dealers.

Best Regards,

Jim McGowan

James McGowan

Maritime Marketing Manager, Americas

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 5.11.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 5.11.44 PM.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 3
Back