IPHC Meetings in Victoria January 24-28

The IPHC annual meeting where the TAC is set will be taking place next week in Victoria at the Delta Ocean
Pointe Resort from Monday January 24 to Friday January 28. Public sessions take place Tuesday between
9:00 and 1:00 and again on Friday between 9:00 and 11:00. Suspect there may be a B.C. Sport Fishing
Coalition presence there.

As a business owner it is hard to make time however I may try to organize myself enough to get over there for one of the public sessions. I have never really gotten that involved with my fishery (sportsfishing) before except my dual membership with BCWF and a few donations here and there. I really liked the town hall meeting in Nanaimo and think they are informative and a good way to get messages across. I am going to try to become more involved as this seems like the only way to strengthen our voice as a major sector to the BC economy and the conservation of this great resource. I think every sportsfisherman needs to take some extra steps and get involved with this causes first hand. Either through your local fish and game club, BCWF, or volunteering at your local hatchery.

Thanks for the post Silver Streak.

Check out the handout for the IPHC meeting as follows.
http://www.iphc.washington.edu/meetings/2011am/iphc2011bluebook.pdf
Anything you want to know about halibut catch and research data is included.
Interesting to note the total coastwide halibut biomass for 2011 is listed as
1.818 BILLION POUNDS with the female spawning biomass making up 350
million pounds of this total.

DFO estimates 405,000 pounds native FSC harvest made up of FSC communal
licence allocations plus treaty settlements.

2010 sport allocation (12%) 901,000 lb adjusted by adding 29,000 lb for 2009
underage and 90,000 lb leased quota for a total of 1,020,000 lb.
2010 sport catch was reported as 1,092,000 lb resulting in a 72,000 lb overage
which will be deducted from the 2011 sport allocation (ie. our 12%). This
Area 2B TAC will be set by the IPHC on Friday January 28 at the above noted
meeting.

Back