IPad GPS

Bobby

My IPad is WiFi 3G was thinking it would be nice to have backup. Wanted to know if anyone uses an iPad with Navionics app. We fish mostly out of Quatsino , Winter harbour area.

I use the navionics app on my iPhone as a back up to my Garmin. Works great. The detail is every bit as good as my Garmon. Should be fine on the iPad as well, although the glare on the screen could be an issue for you - particularly if you're using it as your primary.

I use it on my iPad, my android phone and my wife's iPhone. I like redundancy. It's not just for a backup though. I often have the chart plotter set at one scale(say zoomed in) and the iPad at another (zoomed out). It's nice to be able to see both scales of the map simultaneously. Also, I can move the iPad into the cockpit if I'm fishing near a border or RCA so I can more easily watch it to assure I'm not drifting into places I shouldn't while jigging etc. Also, it's great for route planning from home or for just looking at the map for fishable structure while day dreaming about fishing.

I use it on an iPhone 6 plus and it a great secondary / backup and I have it on my iPad for planning trips. Best $15 investment you can make if you are on the water lots.

When I go to buy charts its $64.99. How did you get for $15?

Buy the chart for an iPhone for $15 then sync your iPhone and iPad.
That doesn't make sense. I wonder if there are features missing on the iPhone version?
I looked on my iPhone and it is $16.99 for US and Canada....hmmmmm

The Navionics App for phones or tablets 7" and under is $16. The Navionics App for tablets larger than 7" is called Navionics HD. It is the same App with all the same features, but displays at a higher definition for the bigger screens. It costs around $70

The phone navionics version is lower resolution than the pad one.not a big deal
I bought a third party universal gps receiver that bluetooths to phones,pads,laptops.
Was a hundred bucks,but will never need cell reception or a data package.

The phone navionics version is lower resolution than the pad one.not a big deal
I bought a third party universal gps receiver that bluetooths to phones,pads,laptops.
Was a hundred bucks,but will never need cell reception or a data package.

Just a note - with an iPad with cellular capability, you don't need either cell reception or a data package. The models with cell capability have GPS built in.
Of course, the gizmo Humpbubble is talking about works too.

I'm thinking of purchasing this app for my iphone. The free (trial) version seems scant on chart info. Is the full version more detailed? Does it actually show bottom contours and composition? Could I ask someone to post a screen shot of this app in action?

Sorry,i cheaped out and have the wifi/bluetooth only pad..phones,pads,compass,charts (laminated)
Redundancy is the key

Clint r, The trial version is exactly the same as the purchased app. On the bottom left corner of the screen ,there are two icons. tap the top one and choose Sonar Charts, then zoom in on the location you will be fishing.

I'm thinking of purchasing this app for my iphone. The free (trial) version seems scant on chart info. Is the full version more detailed? Does it actually show bottom contours and composition? Could I ask someone to post a screen shot of this app in action?

Just an example from full version at mid-zoom. Granted...no "action" as far as GPS/Sonar as I am lying on the couch in my jammies. :p

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 196
Nice. That's what I'm looking for. Going to purchase it right now.

Pretty good! Can't really beat it for under $20.

Last edited by a moderator:
just a heads up, i recently paid for the skipper app which is similar but it has no detailed information for the port hardy area. would not recommend

Back