International space station

I just watched it. I was not so amazed. I know what it is up there and that it is quite amazing but the shiny spec cascading across the sky just didn't do it for me. I also heard nothing.

Nevertheless, I waved in Russian, I think they waved back.

That was sort of my point why some kids and adults can't get enough and most if they see it once is enough. I suppose in time I will too but I will never tire of looking at the stars; greatest show on earth IMHO.

You mean the greatest show off earth?

I saw it pass over twice tonight. Once just at dusk, then again just now. I use a smart phone App called " ISS Detector". It lets you know when the space station is going to go over, and how clear visibility will be etc. I have it set to alert me 5 min before it passes over. The app also lets you know when "Irridium Flares" occur. They are when a satellite is flying over and it reflects the sun right to your location causing it to flash brightly for a couple of seconds, then it pretty much dissapears from view. I had the kids convinced I had some sort of cosmic magic powers for a few days before they caught on to the app.

I saw it pass over twice tonight. Once just at dusk, then again just now. I use a smart phone App called " ISS Detector". It lets you know when the space station is going to go over, and how clear visibility will be etc. I have it set to alert me 5 min before it passes over. The app also lets you know when "Irridium Flares" occur. They are when a satellite is flying over and it reflects the sun right to your location causing it to flash brightly for a couple of seconds, then it pretty much dissapears from view. I had the kids convinced I had some sort of cosmic magic powers for a few days before they caught on to the app.

LOL. Thats a great app but I made the mistake of setting up the alarm audible so I can't fool anyone.

Just watched it pass by in the sky over Courtenay. ..that is a cool app..appeared rite on schedule nice and high in the sky

About four or five nights ago we noticed there was something else about twenty seconds ahead of the iss. Turned out to be the atv-5 which is scheduled to rendezvous with the iss August 12. For some reason it has now gone to about five minutes ahead but is still easily seen but not as bright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lemaître_ATV

What we saw four or five nights ago about twenty seconds in front of the iss we just saw about twenty seconds behind it at 10:05. Did anyone else see it ?

Will be back again at 11:41 but only for two minutes look about twenty seconds behind it and see if you see anything.

Yes, it went by twice tonight. the first was a better magnitude and we could see it across the entire sky horizon to horizon. The second time disappeared halfway. I did have the camera setup for a photo tonight. Here is the shot. Taken at 18mm, F5, 5 minute exposure remote strobe to light up the park.
ISS Flyby.jpg

Here is an edit to brighten up the trailing craft.You can see the ISS in front and behind it the ATV. Its the one just above the light pollution blob. This frame represents 8 seconds of flight time.
ATV.jpg

Back