Insurance for Fishing Charters

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hi All

I have some interest in doing fishing charters out of Winter Harbour next year and have been trying to figure out all the details before committing. I am all signed up for the required courses, and have started the process of commercially registering my boat. All that was easy, my question is what are all you guy's doing for insurance while chartering. My current insurance will only provide insurance if I do charters privately and the boat is not commercially registered. My understanding was that you must be commercially registered in order to legally be chartering and I want run the charters as a business so what there telling me just doesn't make any sense.

Do any of you have any recommendations for marine insurance for a charter operation?

Thanks
CPM

Interesting that they've suggested they can insure without being commercially registered. Following as well.

Sounds like the person you dealt with has no clue about commercial vessels or their required insurance. Your boat does need to be commercially registered with C numbers. You’ll need a recent survey(last 5 years) as well. Some underwriters will need an idea of how many charters you may do in a season. Some insurers like Beacon can do a pleasure craft policy with an extension for a certain amount of charter trips, usually under 30 or 40 a season. That would most likely be your cheapest route.

Hi All

I have some interest in doing fishing charters out of Winter Harbour next year and have been trying to figure out all the details before committing. I am all signed up for the required courses, and have started the process of commercially registering my boat. All that was easy, my question is what are all you guy's doing for insurance while chartering. My current insurance will only provide insurance if I do charters privately and the boat is not commercially registered. My understanding was that you must be commercially registered in order to legally be chartering and I want run the charters as a business so what there telling me just doesn't make any sense.

Do any of you have any recommendations for marine insurance for a charter operation?

Thanks
CPM
https://srim.ca/products/marine-insurance/

ive found this place dont know much about them but might be up your alley

Back