Inboards

I completely avoided them for a long time. Then I found the perfect boat for me, but the only thing was it had an inboard. Talked to people who had them, and then to a couple of friends who are marine mechanics, and they all spoke very highly of them.

Ended up buying the boat, and couldn't be happier with the inboard. The dog house on it is only about 6" high, and I actually find it more helpful than a hindrance. I don't think that I would like it as much if it was a full height dog house.

FishWish

Ya I currently have an inboard. And don't have any problems with it. I'm boat shopping right now and a lot of the people I bounce my possible boats off of whine about them being inboards. It's not that I'm looking for an inboard, it just so happens that all the boats I've found that I like have an inboard.
It's good to see I'm not the only one who isn't scared.

I have been an out board guy for years. My current boat malibu 185 was what I wanted. I looked a long time to find one in such good condition. It has an inboard and I thought of podding it someday with an outboard. But you know what I have become fond of the motor. It has a mercruiser 3.0L and is highly spoke of by mechanics. I don't really fish offshore, and I run a new Yamaha T8 which is what get the most hours..

I don't find it ***** with doghouse I actually prefer it anyway as most of the time I steer from back.

The inboard drinks little gas, and I found it much easier to work on personally. I am even am in the process of adding cabin heat to the wheelhouse/cuddy. That is something you can't do with an outboard.

There are tradeoffs the vibration is more vs an outboard but with all the mechanical stuff I have to deal with I have learned its really just maintenance... I also believe a lot of motors don't last becasue they simply are not run year round. Inboard or outboard. Boats don't like to just sit around unused!

Next year I will be making a decision whether to pod it with a new suzuki out board..But cost wise its hard to commit when I can spend 4K and have a brand new motor vs 10 or 12K... + the 2K to pod it..That is a lot of money to consider so on the fence now...

Last edited by a moderator:
From what i understand the biggest knock against non outboard boats besides the doghouse is if you moor your boat the leg eventually there will be issues as you can't tilt it out of the water like you can with an outboard.

Yah a trailer with mine so not in water long periods. I think again its maintenance have to pull it out regularly and clean it. Also just making sure all anodes are good to go...

From what i understand the biggest knock against non outboard boats besides the doghouse is if you moor your boat the leg eventually there will be issues as you can't tilt it out of the water like you can with an outboard.
Valid point! I can definitely see that. It's only a couple blocks in either direction to a boat launch so I don't think I'll be mooring. Damn it would be convenient though!!

I have had an old Mercruiser 165hp for 28 years now. It has been interesting to maintain it over the years. I'm a practical guy who doesn't mind being busy. There is a ton of stuff you can diagnose yourself and fix. Cast iron block and cast iron manifold are heavy though. Nowadays, you would want an aluminum block, with metal sleeves in there for the 2nd set of pistons, when rebuilding.
My brother did boat surveying in Victoria/Sidney and around the island. He found from talking to people who live on the west coast that they like to pull the outboard off the back of the boat and take it to cambell River for maintenance, or replacement. I guess with lifts, hoists, cranes being at a premium they can pull this off easier/cheaper and get back on the water sooner.

Mine is an I/O, and I really like it. I prefer my 3.0l to an outboard, because of it's simplicity. I can fix or diagnose any issues, I don't need a computer.
I don't moor my boat, and I'm not interested in mooring. I prefer to bring the boat home after every trip, because I don't know where the next trip will be. It might even be at the lake pulling the kids.....

Back