In Memoriam

The Alouette River salmon lost a friend in December

Tom Cadieux, Alouette River Management Society past president and a long time BC Corrections Officer at the Alouette River Corrections , has passed on. The following is a article on Tom from the Maple Ridge news:

Founding president of ARMS in Maple Ridge passes away​

Tom Cadieux was 73 when he died on Wednesday, Dec. 15

The founding president of the Alouette River Management Society has passed away.
Tom Cadieux died on Wednesday, Dec. 15, at the age of 73.
Geoff Clayton, another former president of ARMS, praised Cadieux as “an amazing man and motivator”, who had an ability to see the best in people to help them develop their skills and ability.
“Heart miner”, was his phrase, said Clayton.
Clayton explained he was first introduced to Cadieux in January 1994, when he received a phone call from him introducing himself as the program director at Alouette River Correctional Centre, ARCC. Cadieux told Clayton that his name was given to him, along with some others, by city councillor Gordy Robson, because he was told Clayton was “a person with heart for saving the Alouette River”.
Cadieux asked Clayton if he would be interested in a meeting with others who might be interested in forming a society to save the Alouette.
“The rest is history as every name suggested by Robson came to this informal meeting in a prison staff room at ARCC,” said Clayton. “At the close of this meeting ARMS was born, and Tom was elected President.”
Clayton said Cadieux even came up with the name of the society.
RELATED: Maple Ridge group appeals to save river
ALSO: Alouette River partnership seeks to restore Pacific salmon runs
Ken Stewart, current president of ARMS, said Cadieux was very dedicated and put a lot of time and energy into getting the ARMS group together.
And, he was an integral connection between the community and corrections, said Stewart, noting that will be his lasting legacy, since corrections continue to work closely with the hatchery.
“He just basically really took on the role of connecting the hatchery to the community,” he said.
Cadieux was Clayton’s main motivator, convincing him that if he started legal action against BC Hydro for fisheries flows releases below the dam, that he would be behind Clayton all the way.
“He was true to his word,” said Clayton.
Eventually, though, Cadieux realized that he could not continue as president of ARMS and as a senior staff member in a B.C. prison and passed the role on to Clayton.
“For those that love the Alouette River and have found the increased river flows from the dam we secured in 1996 a blessing, take your hat off to Tom Cadieux on reading this. Yes, Tom was one of the great pillars in the rebirth of the Alouette,” said Clayton in a tribute to his friend.
Cadieux was a resident of Creston, B.C. when he died."

Posting the following at the request of a forum member. We didn't know Dave, but it seems we should wish that we had.

Highwater Tackle Ltd.

2 hrs ·
Yesterday Dave lost his private and short battle with an aggressive cancer. He left in comfort and in peace, surrounded by his girls.
For 36 years Dave stood behind the counter of a little tackle shop in North Vancouver helping anglers from all walks of life. We know how many hearts Dave touched, how many angling passions he fostered, and how many laughs he shared. After years within the fishing community, he watched friendships flourish, kids grow up, those kids have kids, and new anglers become true adventurists. He inspired a generation to speak out, fight for what you want, and go knock on your local MP’s door. From politics to hockey and from raising kids to the appropriate steelheaders breakfast, there was never an opinion left unsaid. Know that he appreciated every person that walked through the front door of the shop and would do anything he could to help them. He was a friend, a fishing partner, a husband, and a dad.
We realize this will be challenging news for many of you and we do ask you to reach out for support if you need it. Dad was very proud and kept his health issues within a very small circle. He didn’t let the cancer define him and held onto his dignity until the very end. He will be there with all of us for every line cast and every river walked, for now, and for forever.
The Steele family asks that you give us a little bit of time to process and to build strength. Highwater will be closed for a few days, so we are all able to begin to heal. Thank you to all for your love, your thoughts, and your support.
Gill, Heather, and Kate Steele

Truely a sad day for sure and what a loss.. Dave was a great family man & was well like among the fishing community and his peers. .. Got to fish with him in the 80's on occasion & was first introducted to him thru my fishing partner at the time Byron.. In the tackle industry he was a leader in the field with his Store known for great service , knowledge and Staff as the store has stood the test of time. When called upon for the fishery fights you could always count on Dave to be there... The community will miss him and as I . :(20220211_142601.jpg

Last edited:

Posting the following at the request of a forum member. We didn't know Dave, but it seems we should wish that we had.

Highwater Tackle Ltd.

2 hrs ·
Yesterday Dave lost his private and short battle with an aggressive cancer. He left in comfort and in peace, surrounded by his girls.
For 36 years Dave stood behind the counter of a little tackle shop in North Vancouver helping anglers from all walks of life. We know how many hearts Dave touched, how many angling passions he fostered, and how many laughs he shared. After years within the fishing community, he watched friendships flourish, kids grow up, those kids have kids, and new anglers become true adventurists. He inspired a generation to speak out, fight for what you want, and go knock on your local MP’s door. From politics to hockey and from raising kids to the appropriate steelheaders breakfast, there was never an opinion left unsaid. Know that he appreciated every person that walked through the front door of the shop and would do anything he could to help them. He was a friend, a fishing partner, a husband, and a dad.
We realize this will be challenging news for many of you and we do ask you to reach out for support if you need it. Dad was very proud and kept his health issues within a very small circle. He didn’t let the cancer define him and held onto his dignity until the very end. He will be there with all of us for every line cast and every river walked, for now, and for forever.
The Steele family asks that you give us a little bit of time to process and to build strength. Highwater will be closed for a few days, so we are all able to begin to heal. Thank you to all for your love, your thoughts, and your support.
The obit. from his kids is a real testament. We should all live life to deserve a similar one from our kids. RIP Dave.

Last edited:
We've lost a terrific advocate to the Sport fishing community. I appreciated Dave's passion for our recreation. He will be truly missed.

Condolences to the family and many friends.
ID4

Sorry to hear of the passing of this well known local personality-I was in the act of contacting him to work on one of my rods when I heard.

273701095_5010830395603842_2920133103249088440_n.jpg

273805187_5010830345603847_7351190183439049843_n.jpg

I've known Dave for almost 30 years. He was the one who educated me about salmon fishing 30 years ago and I never stopped going to his shop just to see and have chat with him on a regular basis. We talked about fishing, politics, the environment and so many other topics. He was a fighter, educator, ethical fisherman. His wealth of knowledge in this sport was 2nd to none. He was my mentor and now there is this huge void. RIP Dave.

I've known Dave since the early 80's when we both guided at Stuart Island. He was a great guy with the work hard play hard attitude.
His legacy will include an incredible list of achievements that really defined this man. Passionate in all areas for the' fishin misson' this friend made a difference in many people's lives. I will raise a toast later and say thank you.... cheers Dave

Sad to report the sudden passing of Gerry Mercer, one of the family that owned Buccaneer Marina in Secret Cove. Gerry was a hardworking guy who always had time for a laugh and a kind word for every one of us that passed through the marina. Even on the busiest midsummer long weekends as the tourists swarmed like mosquitoes, he was always smiling.

The Mercer family will be hit very hard by this very sudden loss and my heart goes out to them. RIP Gerry, you were one of the good guys.

Sad to report the sudden passing of Gerry Mercer, one of the family that owned Buccaneer Marina in Secret Cove. Gerry was a hardworking guy who always had time for a laugh and a kind word for every one of us that passed through the marina. Even on the busiest midsummer long weekends as the tourists swarmed like mosquitoes, he was always smiling.

The Mercer family will be hit very hard by this very sudden loss and my heart goes out to them. RIP Gerry, you were one of the good guys.

So true. Gerry was a true salt of the earth, and he was really good to my family after my dad passed away in 2007, just up the road. Known him my whole life, and he will be dearly missed. I still owe him a case of beer for taking an off-the-record look at my old kicker.

Such a beauty of a man, with a heart of gold and kind soul. A tremendous loss for the Mercers and the entire Sunshine Coast.

1651090883718.png

1653783469272.pngBrian Gibson,anyone that fished Sooke (Sheringham) or entered a derby in Victoria will remember Brian as a terrific fisherman and regular derby winner.He and his 26 Hourston SF were fixtures off Sheringham Point,his favourite spot.He and his extended family were always fun to be with and I won't forget all the good times we had in Sooke over the years.He will be missed by many people.

Last edited:
A lot of you Victoria folks will remember my friend Bill Varco. Salt of the earth man who I hunted and fished with for decades until an aggressive form of MS took him away from us and his dear wife Molly.
Bill and Molly treated my son like a grandson when he started hunting with us in Vanderhoof.
Miss you lots pal!

Back