In Memoriam

Admin

Admin
Staff member
We have been approached about having a thread where member's that have passed can be honoured. Although it was suggested for this purpose, you are also welcome to honour people who come form the fishing community, the arts community etc. here. We will maintain it as sticky thread so it is easy to find.

I am still reeling over the passing of "Captain Kirk" this past December. He is the first of my best friends to pass - perhaps this fact makes it an especially difficult loss to experience.

My now grown children were little when Thomas first started including me on his adventures. Ever after the rule in my house was, "If Dr. Kirk calls and I'm not available, tell him, "My dad says YES!""
I never knew what adventure was about to happen, but it was always EPIC!

This man enriched my life, and those of my children (especially my son, Ian), beyond measure. I will be a grandfather soon and cannot imagine not regaling my descendants with stories of great times with Dr. Thomas Kirk.

Thomas was an exacting man to be sure, but he was always living in the moment, with an eye to the future.

TK at my stag last year was an experience for the ages. We all had too much fun for it to have been legal ;-)

I sincerely doubt many days will ever go by without thoughts of TK. He was the big brother I never had.
I will not post pictures because there are so many I wouldn't know where to start.

For now, I can only send my deepest condolences to his wife and children, and hope to be able to repay Thomas's effects on my life through acts of respect, kindness, and service to his family.

Smiley, I will fish with you again in Valhalla. Doubtless you are living large even there!

ADMIN thank you for allowing this thread to start. Classy move.

Last edited:
One of my favourite fishing friend passed away yesterday and boy would this old guy watch the rods. That’s victor with my boy stephen. I sure am going to miss his company on the boat. Rest easy my old friend.

Attachments

• E0BCD895-A212-4B7F-AB59-DE29A4E10573.jpeg
    E0BCD895-A212-4B7F-AB59-DE29A4E10573.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 240
Just saw this thread... what a great idea! Not a day goes by that I don't think of my dad, Bill Robertson... some of my best memories are the countless hours we spent starring at rod tips and talking about everything under the sun. True "quality time" I would do anything to get back. It's been a year and a half since he passed. I hear one day I will look at his pics and smile... I'm still not there yet. RIP.

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce you to a legend!

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2352.jpeg
    IMG_2352.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2070.jpeg
    IMG_2070.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3997.jpeg
    IMG_3997.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 248
Just saw this thread... what a great idea! Not a day goes by that I don't think of my dad, Bill Robertson... some of my best memories are the countless hours we spent starring at rod tips and talking about everything under the sun. True "quality time" I would do anything to get back. It's been a year and a half since he passed. I hear one day I will look at his pics and smile... I'm still not there yet. RIP.

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce you to a legend!
Great smile. Sorry for your loss.

The fishing community lost a beauty over the weekend!
5FE3215A-23F9-4060-AF01-07753674E045.jpeg
Roy Ekstrom lived 87 years and was incredibly healthy and active until the end. This man ripped out the carpet in his house while he was in his 80’s!

I was lucky enough to have him as a neighbor and friend my entire life. He fished a lot and was very generous in sharing a piece of his catch with us.

Recently, he had a special bond with my little daughter. The two of them loved each other dearly. Mr. Roy she called him.

Roy’s personal best came when he was in his 70’s, where he shared reeling in a 46 pounder with his long time fishing partner Norm off the flagpole in Victoria. Whopper!!
DE6AD683-B821-4A30-BF7B-76F7670E9F9F.jpeg
Roy joins his sweet wife Lois and their sons in heaven.
Roy and Lois were like a sweet pair of grandparents to me.
They will be forever in my heart.

Thanks to Roy’s good friend and fishing partner Ian Bishop for the photos. Roy told me he had a lot of respect for your fishing skills. I’m guessing he didn’t tell you the same thing about me.
5AAE5345-2DBA-411E-9A76-FDA1B1AA607B.jpegC87C3FCA-3EBC-41EC-9D9A-31CF5B038E98.jpeg

Last edited:
I my self have had to say good by to another great capitan and father Ken Nastrom. All my fishing and hunting memories will never be forgotten. The countless hours spent teaching me what he knows about the coast and how to use and respect the resources around me will guide the rest of the family through life. Ken has 3 children and 6 grande children to honour his life. 75A94339-51C2-43F3-A57A-F0FE7672A147.jpegF3EE88CB-C287-49C4-B9F7-9FB2A6E6D7A9.jpeg2D2573A2-45BD-4C69-BC88-AA19225C82E3.jpeg

The "Fixer" has crossed the bar.....

MURPHY, Gerald F (Gerry)

February 15, 1935 – December 11, 2020

"Gerald Frederick Murphy, a loving husband of 59 years, an amazing father, and a wonderful and caring 'Santa Grampa', suddenly passed away at Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria. He is survived by his loving wife Lynne, his son Don (Melissa), daughter Susan (Jay), grandchildren Kyli, Jasmine, Chase, Graeson, Caellan, Ryder and great grandchildren, Eric and Alexander.

He was born in the land of the Bluenose surrounded by a very colorful, very proud, and very large extended Nova Scotian family. Although he lived on beautiful Vancouver Island for the majority of his life, his heart had never left Nova Scotia! He would fondly reminisce of the East Coast, its beauty, and the friends and family that still reside in his home province.

He was an extremely proud member of the Royal Canadian Air Force, who he fondly considered his second family. His adventure with the military started in Halifax at the early age of 17 in 1951. His journey with the military gave him the opportunity to travel the world, and all corners of Canada, until 1983 when he proudly retired as a Warrant Officer with the 407 Demon squadron. His experiences, and the bonds of friendship he formed along the way, provided an 'endless' supply of stories of adventure around the coffee table, resulting in surprise, awe, and a tremendous amount of laughter.

In his early retirement, he earnestly dedicated much of his time with the Fish Advisory committee in the Comox Valley. He also spent nearly every day racing across the 'salt chuck' in his 17 ft Lund and 90 horse Evinrude, looking for that ever elusive 'spring'! He "never" tired of his search! And when he hit the throttle.., you had better be hanging on to your hat! His hair, or what little hair he had left, would whip behind him in the wind like frozen ropes! He was 'truly happy' on the water!

Now..., whenever we see a skiff 'ripping' across the water, skipping like a stone across 'the chuck'.., I will remember the times we had on the water and think of you with one hand on the wheel, the other on the throttle, and your grin that stretched for miles!"

The above has just been posted in the Comox Valley "Record" by his daughter. It was a shock to hear of his passing. A bunch of us will miss the late morning coffee sessions in his kitchen where the conversations inevitably turned to fishing. He was a master Buzz Bomb fisherman. He didnt need no downrigger, thank you very much ! He seemed to be able to pull a spring or coho out of the blue when the rest of us were sucking lemons ! The name of his boat was The Fixer... and as a retired RCAF aircraft mechanic, there weren't too many outboards that he couldn,t fix. A life well spent.........

My long time friend and fishing buddy Jimmy McDougall passed away in Port Alberni last week. He fished for years out of cheana and esquimalt anglers. Loved to be on the water wether the salt, lake or rivers. Gonna miss our Bamfield trips. RIP my friend14A34B92-44A6-4E3C-826F-FCDACB767BE8.jpeg

Kevin aka "my escape" one of the very first moderators passed about a week ago, I fished with him and attended a browns bay derby. Which I must say was a blast. Played a nice prank on him on day 2 of derby as we were all a little fuzzy next day so I took his belts off the riggers, didnt notice till he tried lifting them LOL LOL
He worked for longest time at Daigle marine and last few years at QCL .
He passed in the Philippine's unfortunately..... RIP buddy

Kevin aka "my escape" one of the very first moderators passed about a week ago, I fished with him and attended a browns bay derby. Which I must say was a blast. Played a nice prank on him on day 2 of derby as we were all a little fuzzy next day so I took his belts off the riggers, didnt notice till he tried lifting them LOL LOL
I posted about Kevin passing in the General thread but he deserves to be here. He was my neighbour for a few years so got to know him quite well. I was at that BB Derby as well. It was a great time. I had all but forgotten about that prank. It was a good one. Had a few good years up at that derby. Maybe you can recall when Kevin backed his truck over the bank up near the top somewhere. Whoops. Glad you added him here Wolf.

Sad. He was a nice fellow. Remember that hot day in Sooke? Me, you, Kevin and Osama. That was a multi-beer filled day. LOL

I posted about Kevin passing in the General thread but he deserves to be here. He was my neighbour for a few years so got to know him quite well. I was at that BB Derby as well. It was a great time. I had all but forgotten about that prank. It was a good one. Had a few good years up at that derby. Maybe you can recall when Kevin backed his truck over the bank up near the top somewhere. Whoops. Glad you added him here Wolf.
I too was at that derby and remember Kevin's truck going over the bank... The derby was a good time for all. RIP Kevin, you made me feel very welcome on this forum.

Back