In Hindsight Advice (seeking not giving)

I have a 17' 1969 Starcraft Aluminum with a 1980 Evinrude 2-stroke that I paid peanuts for 20 years ago, and I have dragged that thing all over BC. I put in a new floor, new dashboard, new wiring/electrical/lighting/depth-finder, new steering, new fuel tank, new rod-holders and a few other upgrades myself. My biggest investment so far has been the custom canvas I had made for it. I had one major self-inflicted engine issue that derailed a Winter Harbour fishing trip last year so I am re-powering in the next year or two. There have been a couple WCVI trips where I wish I had something 2' longer and 1' wider, but at the end of the day it has been the perfect boat for me and my family. To each their own, as long as you get outside and play!

If you have a friend that is looking to buy their first car with a budget of 30K, would you tell them to buy a two year old Civic, or a 20 year old Mercedes? Same thing for boats. I recommend buying small and newer for a first boat. Maybe consider something like this. Small, but nearly new with a warranty and from a well respected brand. Figure out what features you like and what you would want in your next boat, while you gain experience. You will get more hours on the water in a small boat than a bigger one, and there are less things to break. Small boats hold their value for a long time, that's why there are few deals to be had so might as spend a little bit more for a nearly new or new boat.

Right on. I hate those tirekickers that do that crap. I give stuff away free instead of dealing with that. I just wanted to sell this stuff at a decent price, not get charged with aggravated assault because of a dumba$$ tirekicker.

I find it better to get them to add more gear, if the boat is being stripped out for the sale, rather than drop the price.
Did you and I go to the same school? Hard Knocks High?
But, speaking of a-hole test pilot types - I'm old and not healthy. Life in prison is no longer a deterrent. 😂

This is in the realm of advice for keeping your wife as interested as she is now.

1. Don't buy a boat without a kicker [or maybe a C-Tow membership] - she will not love you or the boat if you're drifting - especially near Porlier Pass or some such.
2. Don't buy a boat that doesn't have a way to stay out of the weather - she will not love you or the boat if she's cold and wet.

All the fishing "nice to do's" won't make up for those 2 things. Finding this out in time, I moved from a 16' open boat with 30 hp to a 23' Hourston with cabin heater - and am still married to the same woman. And she still likes to fish.

@Jamesonm I recently went through the purchase of an older DE, lots of work done on the hull, pod, new electronics. It is a little bigger than we were looking for but I think thats better than a compromise the other way. I still feel we got a good deal, there wasn't much time to think about it though as the guy had other people lined up to see it. Survey was done after purchase which freaked me out a little but was all good. Had to put new slope back canvas on it to protect it as it's moored full time. I certainly shelled out a few grand right out of the gate and then there's moorage but that's different cost consideration. Anyway from my experience patience is a good thing and when the right one comes along you might not have a lot of time. I guess I am very mechanically inclined but not highly experienced in boats. I'm certainly not too intimidated by it though, probably more so on the composites work. I have found most of the work required has been fit and finish sort of things that are just time consuming. Anyway I'm sure you will be successful, just be patient and keep looking and asking around. As in my case it's way better when your wife is into it too! Good luck

Generally speaking….if you find a very clean waxed immaculate hull….the dudes taken care of his entire boat. People don’t wax the **** outta their boats and not maintain them maintenance wise. Look for a cream puff if you want to minimize the “bring out another thousand” problem. You’ll pay more for it. But reliability has a price.

Generally speaking….if you find a very clean waxed immaculate hull….the dudes taken care of his entire boat. People don’t wax the **** outta their boats and not maintain them maintenance wise. Look for a cream puff if you want to minimize the “bring out another thousand” problem. You’ll pay more for it. But reliability has a price.

I totally understand and like this!

We always take my truck(s) on hunting trips...my buddies laughed at me doing this until they noticed how they were now being a little more careful with the boot mud, not running through big puddles for the fun of it.....

It takes a little more effort, but I do notice the truck is looked after better......learned this from my Dad as we could not leave for a trip until both sides of the truck was polished....saved lots of BC "pinstripes"

Gives more respect to your truck, boat or whatever you own!

Besides getting the hull that works for you. Focus on the power and trailer. These are the big ticket items. After you put a deposit on it, get the mechanical survey first. If that looks good, then spend money on the hull survey. Which is generally more expensive.

Just curious, have you considered something a bit smaller as a starter boat:

Here's my pitch on small boats: they make it easy to get out on the water.

I grew up in PoCo and we owned a 19ft Larson with a 4.3L mercruiser inboard that we took out on Pitt Lake. Not a 'big' boat by current standards, but objectively a heavy, heavy boat - too heavy to push around the driveway by yourself and us kids were pretty useless, so everything fell on my dad's shoulders (hard working construction worker who spend all week building foundations). We towed it with a Ford Aerostar, but were likely massively overweight. Unforgiving to launch. Unforgiving at the dock. Couldn't beach it properly without scratching up the gel. It always took hours to get out to the launch. My dad always kept his cool (likely because this was childs play compared to the stress of work), but due to the amount of 'friction' to get out, we rarely used it. As a consequence of rarely using it, the boat wasn't reliable - which meant we used it even less.

Fast forward 20 years and I buy my first boat. 14ft Lifetimer centre console with a 40hp suzuki outboard. I think I paid closer to $25k (all in), which is very expensive for only 14ft - but it was built like a tank and was optionned exactly as I wanted it. Everything about that boat was about reducing 'friction':

-Light boat meant I didn't need to upgrade my vehicle, and could launch it solo (I could pickup the trailer tongue with one hand and walk the boat around so it's easy to reposition if you don't have a backup camera or aren't very good at tight parking spots with a trailer).
-Kept it in the yard at the marina instead of my garage, means minimal towing
-Welded aluminum meant I didn't need to be precious about the hull, or storing it outside or beaching it - cleanup is as simple as a pressure washer
-New/fuel injected motor - started every time, less problems with ethanol (do not buy an old carb boat), highly fuel efficient and cheap to run
-Small boats allow you to learn and become 'good' at boating because everything is just more forgiving. You never see a guy in a 14ft boat swearing at his wife at the dock because he can't get it back on the trailer and is about to ram into someone. If things get squirly in a 14ft boat, you just toss someone a rope, give it a push with your foot or grab a paddle.

We had the little boat for 4 years, and typically were out on it almost every saturday or sunday between May-October. After that, I was comfortable upgrading to a 20ft centre console. But even now, I somewhat regret selling it. The new boat is great - but there is decidedly more 'friction'. Launching is more stressful, maintenance is a bit more involved, it costs significantly more to run, and if I mess something up there is more weight/money involved so mistakes are magnified. The stakes are just higher. There is nothing more fun and carefree than a small boat.

I tell everyone I know thinking about getting into boating, buy a 14-16ft car topper with a 9.9-15hp tiller motor on a small trailer for $4500 of craigslist and get out on the Pitt River or Indian Arm. Forget the hassles of insurance, a survey, etc - all required on a big boat. Take a low-stakes risk - pull the trigger and go catch some fish, explore a few beachs, have loads of fun - and if you really like it - upgrade in a few years. For many people, boating is a passing fancy, and a big old fibreglass boat can be the albatross you wear around your neck.

People get it into their minds that they need all the amenities or the family won't have fun, or be willing to go out. But the more you add, the less fun everything becomes - and its an endless treadmill of 'add-ons'. People are generally pretty rugged, and willing to go pee in the bushes if that's whats needed to go have fun out on the boat for a day. If you want your wife/family to love being out on the water - by making it easy for yourself you are making it easy for everyone to have fun. The two are linked.

Last edited:

I grew up in PoCo and we owned a 19ft Larson with a 4.3L mercruiser inboard that we took out on Pitt Lake. Heavy, heavy boat - too heavy to push around the driveway by yourself. We towed it with a Ford Aerostar, but were likely massively overweight. Unforgiving to launch. Unforgiving at the dock. Couldn't beach it properly without scratching up the gel. It always took hours to get out to the launch. Due to the amount of 'friction' to get out, we rarely used it. As a consequence of rarely using it, the boat wasn't reliable - which meant we used it even less.

Fast forward 20 years and I buy my first boat. 14ft Lifetimer centre console with a 40hp suzuki outboard. I think I paid closer to $25k (all in), which is very expensive for only 14ft - but it was built like a tank and was optionned exactly as I wanted it. Everything about that boat was about reducing 'friction':

-Light boat meant I didn't need to upgrade my vehicle, and could launch it solo (I could pickup the trailer tongue with one hand and walk the boat around).
-Welded aluminum meant I didn't need to be precious about the hull, or storing it outside or beaching it - cleanup is as simple as a pressure washer
-New/fuel injected motor - started every time, less problems with ethanol (do not buy an old carb boat), highly fuel efficient and cheap to run
-Small boats allow you to learn and become 'good' at boating because everything is just more forgiving. You never see a guy in a 14ft boat swearing at his wife at the dock because he can't get it back on the trailer and is about to ram into someone. If things get squirly in a 14ft boat, you just toss someone a rope, give it a push with your foot or grab a paddle.

We had the little boat for 4 years, and typically were out on it almost every saturday or sunday between May-October. After that, I was comfortable upgrading to a 20ft centre console. But even now, I somewhat regret selling it. The new boat is great - but there is decidedly more 'friction'. Launching is more stressful, maintenance is a bit more involved, it costs significantly more to run, and if I mess something up there is more weight/money involved so mistakes are magnified. The stakes are just higher. There is nothing more fun and carefree than a small boat.

I tell everyone I know thinking about getting into boating, buy a 14-16ft car topper with a 9.9-15hp tiller motor on a small trailer for $4500 and get out on the Pitt River or Indian Arm. Catch some fish, explore a few beachs, have loads of fun - and if you really like it - upgrade in a few years. For many people, boating is a passing fancy, and a big old fibreglass boat can be the albatross you wear around your neck.
We used our old 17.6” campion more than any other boat we’ve had before or since. Easy to tow around and there were days we’d roll up, launch and be gone while guys in their bigger boats were still waiting for the tide to come in. Not to mention how cheap it was on fuel.

I grew up in PoCo and we owned a 19ft Larson with a 4.3L mercruiser inboard that we took out on Pitt Lake. Heavy, heavy boat - too heavy to push around the driveway by yourself and us kids were pretty useless, so everything fell on my dad's shoulders (hard working construction worker who spend all week building foundations). We towed it with a Ford Aerostar, but were likely massively overweight. Unforgiving to launch. Unforgiving at the dock. Couldn't beach it properly without scratching up the gel. It always took hours to get out to the launch. My dad always kept his cool (likely because this was childs play compared to the stress of work), but due to the amount of 'friction' to get out, we rarely used it. As a consequence of rarely using it, the boat wasn't reliable - which meant we used it even less.

-Light boat meant I didn't need to upgrade my vehicle, and could launch it solo (I could pickup the trailer tongue with one hand and walk the boat around).

I tell everyone I know thinking about getting into boating, buy a 14-16ft car topper with a 9.9-15hp tiller motor on a small trailer for $4500 of craigslist and get out on the Pitt River or Indian Arm. Forget the hassles of insurance, a survey, etc - all required on a big boat. Take a low-stakes risk - pull the trigger and go catch some fish, explore a few beachs, have loads of fun - and if you really like it - upgrade in a few years. For many people, boating is a passing fancy, and a big old fibreglass boat can be the albatross you wear around your neck.

People get it into their minds that they need all the amenities or the family won't have fun, or be willing to go out. But the more you add, the less fun everything becomes - and its an endless treadmill of 'add-ons'. People are generally pretty rugged, and willing to go pee in the bushes if that's whats needed to go have fun out on the boat for a day. If you want your wife/family to love being out on the water - by making it easy for yourself you are making it easy for everyone to have fun. The two are linked.
This is amazing thank you -- I already have a trailer!

This is amazing thank you -- I already have a trailer!
Glad that helped. With a little boat it helps to change your mindset a bit. Instead of thinking of it as your 'forever boat' - think of it as a boat you plan to outgrow. I actually had the little Lifetimer built as my forever boat, and consequently spent more on it than maybe I should have (no regrets though). A small boat has one of the best dollar : smile ratios of anything you will own.

I think the ultimate combo would be an old 16ft Lifetimer skiff with a modern Suzuki 25 or 40hp tiller motor. Both the 14ft and 16ft Lifetimer skiffs are built like tanks but are still featherweights to trailer. The advantage of the 16ft model is obviously more room, but also the higher sides that make it safer in bigger water.

Lifetimer doesn't have any used boats listed on their website now, and it would be too late to have one built for this season, but keep your eyes open and maybe give them a call to express interest. In terms of pricing, mine was a fully loaded centre console model with a 40hp suzuki @ 145hrs and I sold it last year for $18k. I took a bit of a hit on the initial depreciation, but overall welded aluminum is always going to hold its value better than fiberglass so long as you take reasonable care of the hull (they look terrible if you paint them and then it starts to flake off - unpainted is best by far IMO) .

Last edited:
My 16' Skookum took us everywhere - with a bit of planning - Renfrew, Barkley, Clayoquot, Kyuquot, QC Strait and the Broughtons, and 3 times to the Central Coast - Bella Bella, Klemtu, Namu. Even then we had a kicker, but no way to get out of the weather. All that changed when our daughter was born - 23' seemed just right.

20231003_170618 1.jpg20200921_071800.jpg

This is well in your budget and could be a good place to begin. ONT numbers but a BC plate on the truck in the photos, but do your due diligence to authenticate.
C$19,800

View attachment 104169
Good lake boat, not really what you want for the ocean.

Back