Importing a boat from the USA

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the info. I just bought a boat out of WA a few weeks ago and was real simple as others have stated. Just have your paperwork in order with the trailer and boat on separate bill of sales. In WA they have separate gov't docs for each which the owner must complete for the sale. I had these along with bill of sales and I just paid the taxes when i got to the border and was on my way. They never even checked the boat or registration numbers against them but I had double checked to make sure everything was in order just in case. Same with bringing US$ across the border I had to go in fill out a few lines and was on my way.

Border Services again confirmed the 10% tariff since July 1st but strongly suggested the usual 3 separate bills of sale as usually suggested, but the important reason now is that the 10% tariff is on the boat purchase only...so separating the motor will save a bit of money. No tariff on the motor or trailer, just the boat.

Last edited:
Border Services again confirmed the 10% tariff since July 1st but strongly suggested the usual 3 separate bills of sale as usually suggested, but the important reason now is that the 10% tariff is on the boat purchase only...so separating the motor will save a bit of money. No tariff on the motor or trailer, just the boat.
I just brought mine up from Oregon on Monday and did as you say and saved quite a bit by having the three bill of sales.

Still applicable. The lowest customs broker fee I ever payed :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back