Importing a boat from the USA

You don't need to have your documents notarized - unless you can get done free, it's a waste of money, particularly if you have something that suggests the price you're declaring is fair market value for the boat.
I agree. With my transaction, owner's friend did the notarizing for nothing.

have you had a survey done before pending purchase agreement? a couple purchases that i know of were cancelled as the surveyour gave advice to not even pay have of what the seller was asking.
Absolutely. I walked away form two pending deals based on surveyors reports. At $300 a survey, it was well worth the money . A lot of boats look good in pictures, but not so much when you see them up close.

To clarify, I didn't pay for the notary. Guy went to his bank to pick up the titles, seems to be just a service they offer. I drafted up a basic bill of sale, he took it upon himself to get it notirized. Did it help? Not in my case, I don't think anyway. But may have added to the comfort level to some degree of the agent at the border when all my stuff was clean, organized, embossed etc.

The costs worksheet linked from the Pat's boating page is a useful tool everyone buying a boat should use, whether from Canada or the US. All the costs you could expect to encounter are referenced there. They call out a lot of questions that should be asked ahead of purchase, so that a buyer can understand the true cost of the purchase.

Here are some of my notes when I brought my Striper in from Wash (this was done after a full servery was done and I had inspected the boat and I did a 30 min sea trial and had a agreement for sale , signed by the seller and proof of ownership)

BOAT PURCHASE IN USA – IMPORTING TO CANADA WHEN IN THE USA
#1 – Get Original titles for Boat & Trailer & Engine
#2- Make sure the Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN, Serial Numbers) correspond
(Must be exact – No exceptions)
#3 – Bill of Sale – Complete the Bill with the seller ( Use Bill of Sale in this folder)
#4) Obtain original titles on the Boat and Trailer and get the prior owners to sign off
on the same.
#5 – If I am towing unit back to Canada; Go to a vehical licensing office and get a
“TEMPORARY PERMIT’ from the state you are purchasing trailer from.
(if it is Washington go online to site www.dol.wa.gov .) (3 day cost $30 USA)
#6 - Pay the Taxes (PST and GST on Boat & Motor , then GST on Trailer , PST
will be paid at ICBC --- ( This may have changed with HST which is 12% but I
don’t know if the charge it at the boarder or part of it or what
???).
#7 – Advised the Boarder Officer you would like to take the “VEHICAL IMPORT
FORM 1” home and pay RIV online. (Do not pay the RIV fees as you will do
online when you return home ,this way you will get form 2 faster which is needed to
get FORM 2 from RIV , for federal inspection at Canadian Tire).

WHEN YOU GET BACK HOME
1- Do not move the trailer any further then home
2- Call RIV and ask if I can email scanned copies of Form #1 and title of ownerships
to them (RIV phone # is 1-888-848-8240).
3- Go online to RIV @ www.riv.ca ;
a) With your FORM 1 in hand, register online with RIV and also pay the RIV fees.
b) Provide them my email address
c) Scan FORM 1 and title of ownerships and email it to RIV , also make sure to
give them my return email address.
4- Once FORM 1 accepted by RIV , they will email back to me Form #2 , to be used
at Canadian Tire for the Federal Inspection of the trailer.
5 – Make appointment with Canadian Tire for federal inspection of trailer and take
Form #2 and documents to Canadian Tire (once passed by Canadian Tire they will
place a stamp on Form #2.
Note; Get a phone number and name of whom will send notification to RIV.
6 – Take Form #2 (with Canadian Tire Stamp on it) and documents Call ICBC Agent
for licensing of trailer. (Legear Pelling Ins @ 604-276-2474 )
7– Email to RIV @ www.riv.ca a scanned copy of Form #2 (now approved and stamped
by Canadian Tire & wait or RIV to return of the CANADIAN COMPLIANCE
LABEL.
8- Email to RIV @ recall@riv.ca the recall documentation for trailer mfg accompanied
with my vehical import form number, any questions call 1-888-848-8240

Not Required but at good follow up; after I do #7 above, call RIV (1-888-848-8240) and ask if they got my email able and also email from Canadian Tire (if they didn’t get Canadian Tires information give RIV , Canadian Tires Name and Contact, which I got earlier)

Note; within 5 days you will get from RIV a CANADIAN COMPLIANCE LABEL for the trailer .
8– Register your boat with Transport Canada (Service Canada ) for your new boat
Canadian registration numbers (like my k number). (kerry emailed me a new
address for registering Boat . I have found the page and saved it in my favorates noted
as “Application for Pleasure Craft Licsence”
9- Advise insurance agent of the K number on my boat

This is what I did about 6 years ago and never had any issues, its just my check list ...... Good luck
Note; I did use a certified broker out of Wash to prepare another bill of sale and to transfer my funds to their account for the seller, so I didn't have to claim any being carried across the boarder , just gave them the brokers docs when I returned to Canada (BEWARE I WAS IN BANK AUDITING FOR 25 YEARS AND RESEARCHED THE BROKER WITH MY USA CONTACTS .......I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE IF YOU DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR DOING).

Last edited:
For trailer inspection I have heard that you need a letter from manufacture stating no recalls on trailer... What do you do if the trailer is a Caulkins who is no longer in business

SteelyDan,
When I purchased my boat about 6 years ago it came with the Calkins Trailer.
Got the recall letter from Carnai Trailers Inc. They took over the Calkins Trailer line.
19103 E Cataldo Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99016
Phone: (509) 228-9510
The gal that I dealt with was Michelle Dorgan. Make sure you have the VIN.

For trailer inspection I have heard that you need a letter from manufacture stating no recalls on trailer... What do you do if the trailer is a Caulkins who is no longer in business
a side note, if the trailer is more than 15 years old it does not need to be RIV inspected. and you can go strait to icbc, and they will need the trailer there to verify the vin. some agents may accept a picture of the vin(depending how well they know you)

Has anyone bought out of town through a private sale? Im looking at a couple of boats through brokers but also there is a boat for sale via craigslist that has peaked my interest. What can you do to protect yourself from being ripped off on a private sale?

Bought my boat through Craigslist in Salem, OR. Did the same thing I would do buying anything through Craigslist.

Re buying privately. I have bought two boats in the US one in Washington State and the other in Utah. In both cases I had the sellers send a pic of boat and trailer titles. In those states the title is held by the lien holder if there are liens so the owner having titles means no liens. I also called the DMV in those states, provided the boat state registration number to confirm ownership (and avoid counterfeit titles) and inquired re liens to ensure no monies were owed.

Just got back from buying a trophy 2459 in Washington state. The whole thing was easy and seamless. Had the craiglist ad with me going down and cash over $10,000. US border guard called me in filled out one declaration counted the cash and on my way, about 15 minutes. Went and made the deal, faxed copies of the titles to my insurance people at home they insured the boat and ICBC'd the trailer (temporary permit)and they faxed them back to me. Went to Washington DMV got a $30 travel permit from them and on my way. Another 15 minutes at the Canadian border paying tax and on my way . I can see why people may get concerned about having all your ducks in row to buy out of country and I'm sure there are things that could go wrong but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this was.

You should have a bill of sale for the trailer, the boat and the engine separately. Makes a difference in the duties or taxes you pay.

If you are buying and towing to the Island, use Port Angeles. Way easier if there are any complications, because you land in Canada.
Stosh

Thanks for the info in this thread fellas. Made my purchase a brease

I bought a boat from Florida a couple years ago. Very painless. I had a survey and mechanical inspection done before the boat left and had a new trailer built for the trip. I also got 100+ photos sent to me from the broker as well as a facetime chat. The boat was owned by a gentleman who lived in Brazil and kept the boat in dry storage in Miami. I met the shipper in Blaine and brought the boat across. I believe we only paid the GST tax portion then paid PST when registering it. Price is not the only factor when purchasing in the USA, the selection of used boats is so much bigger you have a better chance of finding what you want instead of settling for what is here.
The interesting part was that no one even looked at the boat when I crossed, you would think that a boat from Miami, with a previous owner from Brazil would send up some red flags at CBSA !!!

I bought a boat from Florida a couple years ago. Very painless. I had a survey and mechanical inspection done before the boat left and had a new trailer built for the trip. I also got 100+ photos sent to me from the broker as well as a facetime chat. The boat was owned by a gentleman who lived in Brazil and kept the boat in dry storage in Miami. I met the shipper in Blaine and brought the boat across. I believe we only paid the GST tax portion then paid PST when registering it. Price is not the only factor when purchasing in the USA, the selection of used boats is so much bigger you have a better chance of finding what you want instead of settling for what is here.
The interesting part was that no one even looked at the boat when I crossed, you would think that a boat from Miami, with a previous owner from Brazil would send up some red flags at CBSA !!!
You must have an honest face

Back