IMPORTANT NOTE FROM SFI-BC & SVIAC Re: FISHING REGS

About 8 months ago I told a retired dfo biologist about the SRKW restrictions proposed and the possibility of further restrictions around chinook for the SOG and JDF.

His response was " oh their finally going to do that." Their is some management decisions that have been sitting on ottawa's desk since the harper government got voted in now what all most 15 years ago?

The second thing is DFO gets its budget from Ottawa. When the Finance minister and Trudeau are going over the budget they say hmmm what's the best chance of getting re elected. Giving money to DFO has never been that high on Ottawa's list.

Harper favored keeping commercial and recreational fisheries open, The Liberals favors letting first nations fish and the environment. ITs always been like this

Despite all the great work that hunters and fishermen do for the enviorment, we will always be perceived by thoes in ottawa is being a primarily right leaning voting base.

Also then there's the Budget divide within DFO. WHO gets more money east coast fisheries or West coast fisheries. Well guess what pretty much the whole maritimes voted for a liberal government

View attachment 38174

And they are allowed one salmon PER SEASON

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/salmon-fishery-regulations-nl-1.4652459

The DFO is just scratching their heads over there, aren’t they?! Where are the salmon going?
Why don’t you try listening to us about it and fixing the 4 biggest problems.
I’m willing to be patient IF it brings any results, which is why I have calls and emails to both SVIAC and SFI (I’m a member of both) to see what they are planning on doing moving forward. I’d happily sit in on a meeting between them and the DFO to give them my perspective.
If they want to save the whales and the salmon, It’s a pretty simple fix.
-hack the herring slaughter
-reduce the amount of gillneting in the rivers. If they can do it to us, they can do it to them.
-reduce the seal population
-eliminate open ocean salmon farming... it’s disgusting. I’m sure they wouldn’t feed their families poop fish either.
If our representatives can’t get us anywhere, it’s time for us to take action.
If the above actions are resolved, could you image how much the salmon population would increase in 5 years? And yes I would take a reduction in the meantime as well, we aren’t all just greedy for more salmon. I don’t catch any fish as it is!

Better than CBC...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ing-to-save-the-whales-but-two-other-threats/

Ottawa bans salmon fishing to save the whales - but two other threats to their survival still loom

B.C. Premier John Horgan lamented last week that he won’t be able to go fishing for Chinook salmon this summer – the federal government has put strict limits on the fishery to leave the endangered Southern Resident killer whales with a chance at a meal.

“Had there not been almost a complete closure of the Chinook fishery in Strait of Juan de Fuca, I probably would have gone fishing with some friends,” Mr. Horgan said as the legislature session ended and he outlined his plans for the summer.

While Mr. Horgan dreams of landing a fat Chinook this summer, he, like Ottawa,faces difficult decisions about what his government is willing to do to clean up the mess that is the decline of wild Pacific salmon and the whales that depend on them.

Last edited:
From DC Reid's blog

Sunday, 3 June 2018
DFO, Salmon and Killer Whales

The Sport Fishing Institute sent around a note – link at bottom – this past week asking for sport fishers to send a letter to DFO on the closing of sport fishing to put more chinook in the tummies of Southern Resident Killer whales. So, I wrote a letter to Dominic LeBlanc and also put it on one of my sites: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/05/dfo-salmon-and-killer-whales.html. Please write your own.

It is a cut to the chase piece that notes the problem is long term intransigence by DFO for both salmon habitat restoration and protecting killer whales. It is below. Immediately below is my second note to LeBlanc:

Hi Dominic (Letter also sent to Justin Trudeau, Andrew Weaver, Elizabeth May, Adam Olsen, Martin Paish, Chris Bos, Rebecca Reid, Sport Fishing Institute).

I sent a letter to you this past week noting that the chinook/killer whale problem is not going to be solved by closing sport fishing in selected areas. I have written on fisheries policy for 25 years, and the answer is: significantly increasing habitat restoration funding and netpens for chinook.

In the past four days, since posting the letter to my Fish Farm News and Science site, it has had an unprecedented response: 8,500 pageviews so far, virtually all from Canada. I used to write letters for ministers in the BC government, and know lists of issues are kept, and preparing responses is a meticulous, time consuming and costly activity.

If 8,500 responses had been received, it would have shut down the branch preparing them for months. That is how big a response BC has to your ill-conceived plan that will solve nothing, other than make British Columbians angry. My plan will solve the problem. Please read it again.

After buying the Kinder Morgan pipeline with BC taxpayer money, you need a significant win in BC or you will be shut out in the next election. You will recall that BC was the balance of power in the last election.

DC Reid

Here is the first letter:

Hi Dominic et al

I want to tell you that it is greatly disappointing that after 40 years of DFO managing BC salmon into extinction, here we are today, with you eliminating recreational fishing in areas of the Salish Sea/Juan de Fuca Strait for killer whale food, when the real solution is for DFO to have been doing freshwater habitat restoration and hatchery epigenetics work at a rate that would have seen salmon stocks stay at the same level as in the 1960s.

What you are doing now is with almost extinction levels of Fraser chinook, feeding almost extinct killer whales that DFO has not been doing enough for over the decades, and finally, when it won’t save the whales, eliminating a sport fishery, and they will likely become extinct, anyway. Note that from the east all we hear from DFO is how 500 right whales are on the brink. Note that 76 BC orcas are only 15.2% of your eastern right whales.

Note the attached shot of a 1960’s morning’s sport catch from the Nahmint River, a small drainage in the Alberni Inlet. Where are the Nahmint and dozens of other chinook runs today, DFO?

Two things are required immediately: far greater money spent on freshwater habitat restoration, and netpens of chinook.
Freshwater Habitat Restoration

I think $100 million needs to be invested each year for the next 10 years to catch up. If you look at what $1.5 million did to the Clay Bank on the Cowichan River, it shows that money doesn’t go very far. I suggest you give the money to the Pacific Salmon Foundation because it leverages money 4 to 7 times, and the public, particularly students and sport fishers do most projects.

I spent more than a week’s time figuring out from DFO’s patchwork of data/reports (because DFO doesn’t have a final number) that there were, before escapement, 73 million salmon in the ocean. In perspective, this is 99.8% of all the salmon in Canada. Your eastern Atlantic salmon are a measly .2-to .4-million, or .2%.

In my estimation, there are four major problems that have lead to the downward spiral of wild BC salmon: lack of freshwater habitat restoration, DFO, in-ocean fish farms and climate change. We can change every major problem except climate change.

Netpens

I recommend an immediate establishment of a dozen netpens of 2 million chinook fry each. Use Robertson Creek and the Nitinat hatcheries for Juan de Fuca Strait, and Cowichan – a river that has had a large turnaround in the past few years – for Strait of Georgia. That means 24 million fry each year for the next ten years. The point is that it has to be done quickly to save the killer whales, and though it is 4 years to adults, if we wait, it is those years plus 4 years to adults.

Pay attention to the issue of triploiding for netpens and epigenetics for an increased Salmon Enhancement Program in the specific rivers. And pay attention to the work done by the South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition, Sooke netpen operation using Nitinat stock, now releasing its second crop. Funding comes from members, mostly anglers. And a seal cull would help.

Finally, after buying out Kinder Morgan, you liberals are in deep trouble in BC, on two major issues. You need to do something major quickly, and a recent poll shows that BC holds salmon as dear as Quebec does French.

Thanks

DC Reid

See: https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...note-from-sfi-bc-sviac-re-fishing-regs.70431/.

Note the attached shot of a 1960’s morning’s sport catch from the Nahmint River, a small drainage in the Alberni Inlet. Where are the Nahmint and dozens of other chinook runs today, DFO?

Its good there are letter writing activities going on, but I do find it a bit ironic showing a picture as part of the argument that is indicative of the excess retention of big chinook salmon we as sport fisherman (and our predecessors) participated in that contributed to the species decline. It looks like there are over 30 mostly large chinook in this one picture. This seems to be evidence of where some of that missing Nahmint run went.

Its good there are letter writing activities going on, but I do find it a bit ironic showing a picture as part of the argument that is indicative of the excess retention of big chinook salmon we as sport fisherman (and our predecessors) participated in that contributed to the species decline. It looks like there are over 30 mostly large chinook in this one picture. This seems to be evidence of where some of that missing Nahmint run went.
Not so much ironic as indicative that DFO had no idea what it was doing. I bet those fish were all caught legally, the fishers were in full compliance with regulations promulgated by DFO for that period. In fact,by my count there are 16 fishermen and about 30 fish.While I agree showing this shot was a poor choice it also draws attention to the decades of mismanagement and is still done to this day to by lodges to solicit customers.

Take it from someone who has fished the Nahmint River, this once great run of large Chinook Salmon was not fished out by sport fishermen, but by the large commercial Seiners!!!
And the limit back then was 8 chinook per fishermen per day, a limit I might add that was seldom exploited by Sport Fishermen and there were only a small fraction of the number of fishermen that exist today and without the use of downriggers and depth sounders. No bait fish was used, only spoons and plugs.

Not so much ironic as indicative that DFO had no idea what it was doing. I bet those fish were all caught legally, the fishers were in full compliance with regulations promulgated by DFO for that period. In fact,by my count there are 16 fishermen and about 30 fish.While I agree showing this shot was a poor choice it also draws attention to the decades of mismanagement and is still done to this day to by lodges to solicit customers.

You are correct, it was within legal compliance at the time , and only one mornings catch so they could go out and get more later. And what if DFO had reduced that limit, or made the Nahmint C&R? The sport fishers in that picture and thousands others would have screamed like hell, like we did when limits went from 4 to 2, and are doing now when they are going from 2 to 1 in some areas. DFO bows to a lot of pressures from many areas for sure. If they just looked at science or even what their own models tell them limits for Chinook would have been scaled back long before they were the fist time and this time. Unfortunately government agencies are always behind the curve when it come to bad news, as politics comes in 4 year parcels. There is always incentive to delay painful actions and "get through" the next election. There are many posts on punishing the current liberal government, while in reality they are the least culpable for the situation, much more blame would lie on the Conservatives and the past Liberal (Chretien/Martin) governments who presided over the fisheries but repeatedly kicked the can down the road to avoid the reaction being seen now. Maybe the heart of the problem was the late 1960s and 1970s governments that decided to go down the road of hatcheries instead of habitat preservation or rehabilitation. The SEP program got $170 million in the early 1970s which is equivalent to about $800 million today and still eats up $30 million per year. The liberals just announced funding of $9.5 million for habitat enhancement. A tiny amount that will be spent on just a few projects.

You’ll get no argument from me. Then,as is the case now in the current closures,politics trumps science. The problem ,or more accurately the problems weren't created overnight nor will they be fixed overnight. Rather than admit they lack the knowledge to make an informed decision or the fortitude to make a tough decision, the government searches for options that creates the least waves.

Seal predation, nope too hard! Those seals are sooo cute.
Habitat restoration, nope too expensive! Do you how many goats that could buy for the people of Nigeria.
Illegal fishery, nope too controversial. We’ve already got B.C. and Alberta fighting and were looking at taking on the Donald. We simply can’t take on anymore external or internal threats!
Sport Fisher closure, yeah that’s the ticket! More stringent laws for those who will obey them.

Wonder if Trudeau’s Grsndfather was the Minister when this photo was taken? Generations of bad management I guess.

Take it from someone who has fished the Nahmint River, this once great run of large Chinook Salmon was not fished out by sport fishermen, but by the large commercial Seiners!!!
And the limit back then was 8 chinook per fishermen per day, a limit I might add that was seldom exploited by Sport Fishermen and there were only a small fraction of the number of fishermen that exist today and without the use of downriggers and depth sounders. No bait fish was used, only spoons and plugs.

Wonder if Trudeau’s Grsndfather was the Minister when this photo was taken? Generations of bad management I guess.

Yes its taken a while to get to where we are, a couple of generations anyhow! The Nahmint and many other runs were victims of the first of the "salmon wars" where the federal government policy through the early 90s was to fish the Chinook and Coho stocks hard to catch as many US bound fish as possible ( I agree Nahmint was likely mainly due to commercials) to put pressure on the US to make a favourable deal on the salmon treaties. As a result canadian origin runs were also over fished extensively. Of Course Alaska started to do the same thing to our stocks, with the net result being harm to all stocks in the the lower US and BC.

I sent this letter and an email today to Domenic LeBlanc, Catherine McKenna, our provincial government and various sport fishing organizations. I've only addressed Area 18 issues - it's where I fish and where I could find data to make relevant arguments.
Basically it says DFO's most recently available published data shows recreational fishers caught 252 Chinook June through September in Area 18.
And again, based on DFO data and other scientific studies, an estimated 48,000 salmon were killed by over 800 seals in the same area and same 122 days of closure.

Attachments

• Open Letter re Area 18 closure.pdf
    46 KB · Views: 21
To be fair, how many people need more than a 2 fish limit? I have given about half my limit away to neighbors/friends from mid August onward last couple years as the Spring fishery has been great. I hate the thought that people are eating farmed salmon/FN catches. Some people bark at the thought of “full freezers” but sheesh, if I pay the amount needed to keep a boat and if I’m lucky enough to catch the limit then so be it.

The reason I have a problem with this new direction is because this is just a pre cursor to what’s coming. Next year, I’ll bet my bottom dollar, will be all non retention.

They are waiting to see how we react and from what I’ve seen on this forum, the reaction from sporties will be subdued and easily taken politically.

Back