IMPORTANT NOTE FROM SFI-BC & SVIAC Re: FISHING REGS

I forgot..... I was on the fence about buying a second property on Vancouver Island... kept getting close and another tax, and another tax... (Since I am from Alberta)...... thankfully they closed the Salmon fishery down ... makes my decision easy. Saves me a ton of cash! (Said with about as much sarcasm as possible!!!) So I will have to apologize to a couple Realtors and a Seller out there now as well....

You must be from Alberta! talking about speculating in BC real state is worse then pipeline talk...

A huge issue being ignored here is the sports fishery who avoid contact with whales is being shut down but the Whale Watching businesses who seek out and follow whales around are business as usual.
This pisses me off.

Someone want to explain this to me?

We need to get them shut down so we have their money and efforts on our side to fight this.
Right now they are sitting quietly watching the bus run over us.

A huge issue being ignored here is the sports fishery who avoid contact with whales is being shut down but the Whale Watching businesses who seek out and follow whales around are business as usual.
This pisses me off.

Someone want to explain this to me?

We need to get them shut down so we have their money and efforts on our side to fight this.
Right now they are sitting quietly watching the bus run over us.

Eco tourists hate seeing us out their, You get bed those whale watcher boats are sounding off about us eating whale food while they are out their. They don't want our eyes on the water because their such a crooked industry.

The only part of the new regs for Sooke that will save a few Chinook and I mean a few as we only took 2% of the stocks of concern before the new regs is the extension of the slot sizes. The extra 2 weeks of 67cm in June and 85cm in July will allow a few more fish to make it to the Fraser as they will be released....once they hit the river the nets will have that many more available to them. The closing of areas does nothing at all to save fish. Al it does is jam and I mean jam the same number of boats and lines that would be spread out into a very much smaller condensed area. The same number of lines and effort will catch the same number of fish. The only difference will be the quality of the fishing experience will be in the tank. It will be combat fishing rod tip to rod tip. Visitors will not enjoy their trips with guides. I always burnt extra fuel to go to Sheringham where on a weekday I would be 1 of a half dozen boats fishing there and on weekends maybe 15 to 20 boats. Now I will be down at the Trap with 100 to 200 boats depending on the day of the week. I can only imagine the cluster that is going to take place in the rip off the east side off Otter on the flood tides. This will not be a fun year. How many more guys will pull their boats up to Renfrew and catch the Sooke bound fish before they get to the closed area? There will be moorage opening up in Sooke for sure.

I forgot..... I was on the fence about buying a second property on Vancouver Island... kept getting close and another tax, and another tax... (Since I am from Alberta)...... thankfully they closed the Salmon fishery down ... makes my decision easy. Saves me a ton of cash! (Said with about as much sarcasm as possible!!!) So I will have to apologize to a couple Realtors and a Seller out there now as well....

The fishery has hardly been shut down on the Island. If the property was on the WCVI or Port Hardy/McNeil area there is no change. If its in Campbell River or further South the daily limit is down to 1 with some convoluted limits and slot regulations on the South Island, most of which had already been in place and can be 1 or 2 per day depending on area, and now there are a couple of SRKW exclusion zones that wont prevent anyone on the island from fishing, but if you buy in Sooke it may mean you are fishing in more crowded conditions as you can only fish south of Otter Pt. The tax issues are real if you buy in the Capital region or Nanaimo. This doesnt mean next year, or the year after the restrictions wont spread to the WCVI and North Island

I foresee a lot of charter guys moving to the west coast, especially the Sooke guys, would just assume you would move to Renfrew, I would.

The fishery has hardly been shut down on the Island. If the property was on the WCVI or Port Hardy/McNeil area there is no change. If its in Campbell River or further South the daily limit is down to 1 with some convoluted limits and slot regulations on the South Island, most of which had already been in place and can be 1 or 2 per day depending on area, and now there are a couple of SRKW exclusion zones that wont prevent anyone on the island from fishing, but if you buy in Sooke it may mean you are fishing in more crowded conditions as you can only fish south of Otter Pt. The tax issues are real if you buy in the Capital region or Nanaimo. This doesnt mean next year, or the year after the restrictions wont spread to the WCVI and North Island
Yes... its all good.... nothing we can do except follow the rules and regs.... I do miss the day of fishing with my Grandfather in Duncan... I remember we could go out and jig for salmon by Burial Island and have a wonderful time.... No doubt Regs and Rules need to be in place... but at the end of the day.... what they impose on recreational and charter fishermen.... will never make the difference we need to get back to those good old days. Commercial fishing and FN "fishing" needs to be looked at closer... lets face it... won't happen. Life goes on...! Anyhow... leaving for Winter Harbour in only a couple days...... looking so forward to it... might bring a barrel of oil! LOL!

Well, we will still make our annual 4 week trip to the Comox Valley regardless of the changes.

I plan to still spend the same amount of time on the water and will focus more on selective C & R fishing. It is what it is from my perspective.

Now that we have some definitive direction from DFO, I can focus on doing my part to lobby and try to effect change.

For all you guys affected by the full closures, I'd be banging on DFO doors for your Salmon Stamp and Tidal Fishing license fees back.

For all you guys affected partially, I'd be banging on DFO doors for that portion cut by the new regs back from your Salmon Stamp and Tidal Fishing license fees. If your cut is 50% (2 fish to 1), you want 50% back in your license fees.

DFO can't have their cake and eat it too.

For proper management of any resource to take place, ALL factors must be addressed and managed effectively and sustainably. Cherry picking factors always ends in failure.

Will be interesting to see what DFO says next year when a season of these new closures shows zero effect...

Fortunately the salmon stamp revenue doesn’t go to the government anymore. The license on the other hand seems to disappear into the coffers only to fund Trudeau’s tickle trunk for his all expenses paid dress up tours around the world!

The save the whales pipeline purchase day has to go down as the stinkiest day of hypocrisy in our government.

For all you guys affected by the full closures, I'd be banging on DFO doors for your Salmon Stamp and Tidal Fishing license fees back.

For all you guys affected partially, I'd be banging on DFO doors for that portion cut by the new regs back from your Salmon Stamp and Tidal Fishing license fees. If your cut is 50% (2 fish to 1), you want 50% back in your license fees.

DFO can't have their cake and eat it too.

For proper management of any resource to take place, ALL factors must be addressed and managed effectively and sustainably. Cherry picking factors always ends in failure.

Will be interesting to see what DFO says next year when a season of these new closures shows zero effect...

I live near sheringham point, now I cant even fish in any direction for 10km. I cant even fish from shore or from my canoe either. wtf. not happy.

• yet the whale watching boats continue to chase down the whales daily.
  • house-shaking industrial blasting weekly from the USA
  • us military continues to practice live firing in canadian waters, the same waters that are no fishing zones. 50-caliber and depth charges.
  • commercial boats of some sort (crabbers?) continue droning by 24 hours a day.
  • huge rafts of logs and barges of all sorts can carry on
  • tankers and submarines everywhere
but ending fishing in these zones is supposed to help the orcas.

I'm going to bring up a plan with the SVIAC BOD at the next meeting. A letter writing campaign is always in our best interest and has resulted in changes in the past. (zone 1 became zone 2 at the last minute a few years ago when the Harper intervened and reversed his Ministers decision) However we are always missing some heavy hitters in our campaigns. We need to gather the emails of all the corporate people who have business tied in any fashion to the sports fishery and ordinary anglers as well. Let them know that we will keep them informed about potential issues that could impact them or their businesses negatively. Give them a brief outline of what is being proposed, why and what the recreational reps positions are on it. Then encourage them to write a letter. This would result in more letters, more time to write them and would include some heavy weight corporate participation that has been lacking up until now. Not their fault...they don't know whats going on because know one is telling them and they aren't aware they should be pro active to possibly prevent loss of business. Just one example....I called the Prestige Hotel yesterday and asked the manager if he was aware what if going on? NOPE So I told him and encouraged him to write a letter on behalf of a 121 room waterfront hotel that depends on fishing traffic, that employs local people and if business suffers people may be laid off. There are so many more that would add weight...SG Power, Sherwood Marine, Alpine Marine, Peetz, Islander, Hot Spot...the list goes on and on. This should be done up and down the coast regionally so that there is a huge organized response.

Well I now will never do any log book or IREC as it is apparently clear the mandate for sport fishing is to become DEAD as they already know how many jobs it creates and how many tourist dollars it brings etc. This is going to cripple our place we call home. its going to have a HUGE domino effect.
He listened to the sierra club and Suzuki and 1 other player that can do what they want....

And if you think this is just a one off, think again we are going to get hammered again next year as what they imposed isnt going to do a fucken thing so hes going to say CUT IT MORE. his teeth is into us now and he will want a bigger chunk next year , I WARNING YOU NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im sure it will be from Victoria to Barkley sound next year as thats where the "whales live"

For all of you that have been on here a long time I said over 10 years ago the moneys generated from local derbies should have been put into a trust fund and not given away... I also said it should be put away to FIGHT DFO in a class action law suit.... well here we are folks !!!!! I am personally done with all of this ive given up as ive been fighting these clowns for over 25 years, I just dont have it in me anymore.
Its time for some sportfisherman to step up and do something be it a class action law suit or a protest playing NICE has got us NO WHERE. that TOOL of a minister has in one swipe of the pen killed any trust or respect among the fishing community the building of trust is completely gone in my eyes towards DFO.

Good luck with the fight boys

Wolf
I can tell you the only reason we are not getting hammered with restrictions is because we HAVE been on the log book program. Myself i have been on it for 14 years because we had to to keep fishing around the wiped out Clayoquot sound local Chinook stocks

That's how we proved we were catching mostly Columbia stock, early and Robertson later...both of which are hatchery augmented.

Sorry that you guys are getting the royal shaft!

Shawn..I have been doing the same for the same period of time. In our case they are not following the data they are bowing to political pressure from a special interest group. It is one thing if the data points a finger back at you and proper management measures are required. You can then say to yourself...well my data did come back to bite me but if I'm the problem..so be it. I have to live with good data and science..both when to my advantage and when not. This is totally something else. I'm on the fence right now. I would not look forward to making a call to Martin Paish and telling him I won't do a log book anymore on these grounds.

Is this catch log data publically available? If not I would think a freedom of information request could get it...

It is available through the annual report on estimated catch by month and area for all fish species. Using creel interviews, fly over counts, IREC and log books...but still only estimations.

I have to save i am a wee bit surprised the reports forums haven't blown up in disgust and rapent rage. either people are not fishing yet or they just don't care.

Back