Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

WOW ok ill bite area 12 does not effect salmon of certain interests?? going to make this plain and simple ..Where do they swim by then??
oh i forgot they fly over them spots like our areas that are closed....

Fraser River Chinook aren’t intercepted in area 12. Data shows that, my understanding (though I haven’t seen it first hand) is DNA shows this too. Majority of Fraser River Chinook are caught in areas 14-20...even 13 doesn’t catch a ton.

Been told at our sfac meeting for north island in fall that we are one of the best areas for guide logbooks. Creel as well.

Sent two more. One from parents and one from girlfriends!
Emails sent
Not being one to openly voice via email or social media that is the least I could do.
Like many people fishing has been my passion for more than 50 years . I have never thought of it as my sport or my hobby .
I also have the great stories from catching coho on dew worms in ditches on the lower mainland to hooking 20 or more fish in a day on the west coast.
I don't have the answers and to be honest all the scientific research and numbers just baffles me .
I would like to thank the people who volunteer the many hours fighting for the equality of our common passion.

I hoped you connected with Derby. I can tell you 4 years ago I thought exactly as you did. It is the danger of living in south island looking only at the Malahat sign as the end of the island, and not looking at the complete picture that happens in other areas.

Guides need to collect DNA data mandatory, and anglers need to move to an avid angler volunteer DNA program. I think what you are saying is simply trust issues with DFO that stems, and is seeded by your past reps. Of course it doesn't also help with what is going on now. Rightfully so, but it is showing it doesn't work.

We need to move on from what happened 15 years ago in south island, and the past. I am just as upset as you are how things that happened in that area.

Our Nanaimo DNA data is way more extensive than your area. There is no reason you can't have the same. The more accurate the number the more teeth we have to push back. As Derby says you should have gone to the SFI meeting where they talked about this data.

Again you are allowed to feel this way, but it helps us more with people are participating with proper DNA data. We have to try.

Still trying tyo connect.

Email #5 sent and my Liberal MP CC'd - My teenage son sent one too!!

Dear DFO Team,

I am writing this email to express my deep concerns with the early outcomes of the consultation process. Some of the early feedback from the meetings between the DFO and the Sport Fishing Advisory Board are pointing to some decisions that will provide very low value, if any, and will not provide for a long term improvement of the Fraser river salmon stocks.

Further to this, I am going to specifically seek answers to the following questions:
1- Is there a clear strategic plan with detailed list of initiatives and projects that will lead to the improvements of salmon stocks in general and specifically, the Fraser river Chinook runs that have been identified as "at-risk"? If there is any documentation that provides insights into DFO's long term plans, I'd like to get access to it.

2- Explain DFO's view on the recreational salmon fishing closure while other sectors can continue the harvest of the same salmon stocks. More specifically, I want the scientific evidence on how the recreational fishing closure can support the conservation efforts while other sectors still get the opportunity to harvest the same salmon stocks at large.

3- What research projects are currently underway to identify the genetic footprint of salmon stocks and their migratory path in our coastal waters of BC? To what extend the DFO is leveraging the fact-based evidence for management decisions?

I’m concerned that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada is making a rushed decision that will take away opportunities from the Public Fishing group without yielding any measurable conservation objectives.

Last edited:
Hey All,

Just a thought, and this impacts all "recreational" fisherman, be it Alaska, Canada and us lower 48 er's. Has anyone considered that in the Gulf of Alaska the hard cap for "Chinook" salmon bycatch for the pollack trawl fishery is set at 25,000 Chinook and 7,500 Chinook for other trawl fisheries? The North Pacific Fishery Management Council base their numbers off of forecasted returns to several "Alaska" rivers. Hmm, I wonder where the salmon from our rivers go to migrate? Give me a break! This is a powerful strong industry with a ton of lobby money. Talk about a non-select fishery that decimates most everything that is caught in the way of their trawls. Think about that next time you order a McDonald's fish sandwich. This is going to be a long drawn out battle between a bunch of powerful industries, states and countries all fighting for a declining, once abundant resource, that has been poorly managed to a point of extinction already for some salmon runs.

So stay angry, get involved, keep writing letters, elect officials who really understand what is at stake and support your local hatcheries. Not surprising, in the states, some of our best hatcheries are run by our Native American Indian tribes. Our non-tribal hatcheries were in dire straits financially. If it wasn't for national funding allocated to the starving Orcas, many of our state funded hatcheries would have been forced to shut down or severely limit their operations. Wow, talk about messed up. I know that you already do a great job fundraising and donating to your hatcheries. I personally have donated to your Sooke facility and the Conuma Hatchery in Nootka Sound. I have many fond memories fishing the West side.

Just recently, the Spring salmon season on the portion of the Columbia River where I fish was just shut down due to projected low salmon returns in two of the lower rivers feeding into the Columbia. My frustration continues, forced to use barbless hooks, fin clipped retention only, highly regulated seasons, higher license fees, emergency closures, competing with pinnipeds and protected Steller sea lions, global warming, the ocean blob, restricted Orca zones and trying to cut a salmon into 4 pieces (recreational, commercial non-treaty, commercial treaty, and escapement.) No wonder the salmon are getting smaller.

Yet it is a way of life, the "salt" is in my blood. I will continue to drag a hook and line through the water until they tell me I can't. Oh, wait, they just did. Anybody have a 4 sale sign I can borrow?

Best of luck my neighbors to the North.

Fireball
SharronTimeII

Hi everyone: here are my comments on the IFMP (Integrated Fishing Management Plans - one for the north, one for the south) - which are what DFO bases its decisions on for fisheries: https://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2019/03/integrated-fisheries-management-plans.html.

We were asked to share this from the conservation section. You can see more discussion in this thread as well. https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...inook-management-actions-updated.73524/page-6

Hi Everyone,

URGENT: Pending 2019 Fraser River Chinook Fishing Restrictions - Feedback Required To DFO

Right now our SFAB main board is meeting in Vancouver to discuss our recreational fishery for 2019. We have request from you.

These are the options in regards to changes to our Chinook Salmon fishery this year. The scenarios are listed below Scenario A and Scenario B.

This is VERY IMPORTANT we need you to send tonight a simple e-mail to the two following e-mail addresses within DFO. Do not bother with the minister at this point. Here are the email addresses. Please do not wait!

Jeff Grout, Regional Resource Manager, Salmon
Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

DFO Pacific Salmon Team
DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

We request you do the following in your response:

1. Why Scenario A won't work for you ( shown below).

2. State the financial loss to the local economy with you not being able to fish this year. Be specific and put a dollar amount on it. Include everything you spend locally on your sport and where.

View attachment 43361

Good Read Dennis!

Integrated Fisheries Management Plans and Managing Salmon into Extinction

Hi Everyone

You can find the IFMP PDF - Integrated Fisheries Management Plan - for southern BC as well as northern BC here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/szdnyx8ui3a891l/AAD111_a8wsfyk0BUicKD_Pga?dl=0.

At 586 pages, the southern plan demonstrates a high level of technical wizardry and high cost. Ditto for the northern plan.

And there are many interesting sections of this report. I would go after what you are interested in the table of contents, click on it and the document will take you to read it. It’s all here, for example, Cowichan chinook, Fraser chinook, Fraser pink (this is an odd year), WCVI chinook, SEP program (Salmon Enhancement Program) along with a link to the plan for 2019 releases ( I sent out a link to the actual output in 2018 some time ago) and so on.

Much fascinating reading in this document – for several days; however, for all the mastery of the document, the fifteen pages of DFO phone numbers and links, the reality is that BC wild salmon, after 50 years, have been managed into extinction by DFO, along with the SRKWs that have been managed down to 74 + 1 whales.

I have given you my answer to solving the SRKW problem, which is multiple netpens of 2,000,000 each, fin clipped, sterilized chinook around southern BC, every year for the next ten, along with habitat restoration cash, epigenetic enhancement, seal cull and so on. However, the thrust of both of these documents is the same as it always is: ratcheting down fishing, but not looking at the overall picture and coming up with a workable plan to save wild salmon.

Here is the link to my take. It has been viewed more than10,000 times: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/05/dfo-salmon-and-killer-whales.html. Note the number of big springs in this morning's take off the Nahmint River.

And here is a link to an update: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/11/southern-resident-killer-whales-sport.html.

Do pour over the IFMP document. It has much of the information you will need on stocks when you are looking for facts when thinking about salmon issues all year long.

One last thing, I would say that you should support the Wild Salmon Secretariat (WSS) in their work to bring back salmon. BC has the local knowledge, the BC govt cost is manageable, and BC has responsibility for freshwater habitat restoration, which I would do through the Pacific Salmon Foundation.

Here are a bunch of problems and I think that focusing the WSS on achievable outcomes could solve a lot of the problems that have gone unanswered by DFO over the years: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/10/lets-take-global-look-at-srkw-problem.html. In this one I broach the subject that DFO says it bases decisions on ‘evidence and science’, pointing out several cases where it did just the opposite; one glaring one is when DFO and the CFIA went looking for a lab that would produce ‘no disease’ in BC fish farms.

Have some good reading.

Oh, and one more thing, Jonathan. I started a post on all the on-land fish farm news around the globe. It has been an avalanche of news in the past year, and I now have almost 70 articles, papers and so on in the past three months. See: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/11/links-to-on-land-closed-containment.html.

D

Thanks & Cheers
Nog

The time for comment to DFO deadline may have passed, but I do strongly urge to keep phoning and writing your MP on this issue.

I just got off the phone with my MP Pam Goldsmith-Jones. I clearly let her know my concerns and she did commit to speaking with Brian Riddell at PSF. It didn't sound to promising that Minister Wilkinson was going to change the direction DFO was going on this. Still I think continued pressure by sport fisherman needs to be brought forward.

Here's a link to BC MP's to call to voice your concerns:
https://www.ourcommons.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members?currentOnly=true&province=BC

Rumour has it there was only 1000 letters received.
Guess the subject wasn’t all that important

Rumour has it there was only 1000 letters received.
Guess the subject wasn’t all that important

I have lots of comments on this subject as i'm sure most do.

All I will say on this matter is that I saw lots of post on facebook this year asking if their was going to be extra regulation/restrictions and if they should be concerned or not book their trips. The response was largely its business as normal (maybe there will be some minor restrictions) but it's nothing to worry about their will be fishing book your trips and charters.

Last edited:
I'll bet there was more than 1000 letters from this forum alone.

look at the gofundme page under 100 people donated, their is probably 200 active members on this forums that walk/talk and read the issues . Look at how many people in the last 10 years that show up consistently to SFAC meetings,

Were talking about people that are paying attention to issues about fishing at a time when it's snowing outside and their boats are winterized.

Look at all the comments on social media "F DFO letters don't matter, they will do what ever they want".

Not sure why people find it so hard to believe that their can be 300, 000 salt water licence but no one cares enough to write a letter/donate/join a group.

For people that have trying to get people involved or donate or join a group this is reality. Some one told me I needed a bullet just for sharing the go fund me on one of the most popular sports fishing facebook pages.

Had a good in person meeting with my local MP today discussing area 12 and lack of data and science behind restrictions. As responsive as you could expect. Said she has heard a lot about the issue from local lodges Charters and anglers.

Had a good in person meeting with my local MP today discussing area 12 and lack of data and science behind restrictions. As responsive as you could expect. Said she has heard a lot about the issue from local lodges Charters and anglers.
What action did she say she was going to take on the issue?

Back