ILLEGAL GUIDING

You guys have eluded to illegal Canadian guides a couple times. I understand there are new certification requirements around safety etc, but are there saltwater guide licenses now? We used to only require a business license if required by the municipality. Probably a stupid question but I have been out of the industry for 12 or more years. What all does a guide / boat go through now for certification etc.

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by dragonballs

You can't be serious, you really think that the marinas in tahsis or zeballos can do without the us money we spend each year.
I never said that I did not welcome American tourists, but the only difference between what you pay to harvest my fsh and what I pay to harvest my fish is the cost of a license. I think that the cost of licenses for non residents is too low. The cost of the license is a pittance compared to the overall cost of the vacation. I think that you should pay more for the priviledge of harvesting here.
quote: I have fished in the cambell river area once in 2006, tahsis in 2007 and plan on returning in 2008. A 7 day vacation for my wife myself and another couple will cost us over 5000.00. We had such a great time last year we told several friends about how awesome it is that 5 other boats are going at the same time. This will give the motel 50% occupancy and provide thousands of dollars in revenue for business in a small and nearly dead community. I can see where an illegal guide could **** you guys off but you can't honestly say you don't want the tourism.
Sure I can. I am not personally rewarded by you coming up here. Your money does nothing for me personally and your presence is of no benefit to me, in fact you deplete finite resources and infrastructure to my personal detriment. If I was thinking from a purely selfish standpoint all the above would be true. The truth is that I welcome you here and I enjoy sharing my hospitality and sharing and showing you my country. You are the tourists I applaud. You come up here and you put a good chunk of your hard earned dollars into our economy. All I ask is that you fish legally, take home only what you are legally allowed, respect our waters and our laws, and remember that you are a visitor.

Cheers:)

quote:Originally posted by Nimo

Can you say that in Coast Salish or Kwaguitl? ;)
No but how about a little chinook jargon? bebe nikka opoots

FYI Chinook Jargon was the trading language used by the Kwaguitl, Coast salish, and trading English and French trappers and traders. It was a blend of english and french as well as native words.

quote:Originally posted by finaddict

quote:Originally posted by Nimo

Can you say that in Coast Salish or Kwaguitl? ;)
No but how about a little chinook jargon? bebe nikka opoots

FYI Chinook Jargon was the trading language used by the Kwaguitl, Coast salish, and trading English and French trappers and traders. It was a blend of english and french as well as native words.
I think you might have just told me off but I'm not sure:D The question wasn't a slur but a comparison to yester year.

Thanks for the history lesson.:)

I think I failed to mention a few things. we do pay more for a non-resident license. We also purchased 4 annual non-resident licenses and donated 300.00 to the Salmon Enhancement fishing derby out of Tahsis. We only fished for Salmon and kept 3 yellow eye. The fish we caught has been consumed with friends and family. I agree that you need to protect you resources and would not be apposed to paying more. the area and people are exceptional. the memories are priceless for us and we have made them available for you also ( check out 425vance on youtube.com ) I thank all the locals for allowing us to visit and support the area. I do think you benefit personally by having the marinas in business so you too can buy fuel and bait. illegal guiding in any country should be dealt with but taking away the boat and imposing serious fines. thanks again for the hospitality.

Fish,

You are really over taxed and I might avoid the canadian income taxes but I would still have to pay the GST and all the other crazy taxes you have up there. I would love to become a full time residence but I would have to get rid of my wife who would never live on WCVI and that is to expensive. I'm not sure I would want to spend the winter up there. Maybe I could become an illegal guide. I would be willing to pay income taxes on those earnings.:D

Okay... I am a Yank! But, I have a lot of Canucks that I call friends!

I have fished the Nootka area for years! When it was a real logging road from Gold River to Tahsis! The first year I was the ONLY WN boat fishing and could run all day without seeing a WN boat and usually without seeing more than a couple of CA boats. There were only two or three small CA guide boats in the area. It was really nice! Now when I go... all I see is boats. Both WN and CA... boat to boat with a lot of them being guides from all over the Island. I can only go for two weeks out of the year, so I have not noticed any WN guides working illegally. I do not support that or anything illegal!

But, personally I wish everyone would go back to "Campbell River" and "Ucluelet" or fish the “Highway”. And take some of the pressure off the rest of the areas in Nootka, especially Ferrer Point! If you want to do something to protect and save “your” fish - don’t bother with the transient fish most are headed south to U.S. waters anyway - protect the local fish from being over fished! Get Ferrer closed downed permanently… AND STOP GUIDING THERE! THOSE ARE “YOUR” FISH! If you really do care about the “Canadian” fish and you know what I am talking about, you will agree and call DFO to get it closed! If you don’t know, don’t ask! But if you make a phone call to DFO stating you should shut down Ferrer to protect the returning “Canadian Springers”; they will probably agree!

You guys should have been there when we were catch & releasing 35/45 pound springers... those are nice fish! Those days might be gone, but I would like to see them again... and btw those where "Canadian" springers! That's the stock that needs protected! Keep the cookie cutters. They are all nice 27 to 30 pound fish, but don't guide for the springers... let them go home to spawn!

Just my two cents!

Here's my opion on guides[U.S. or canuck]I would never hire a guide who did not belong to his country.American guide fishing in Canada. or vice versa.Nor would i hire a rouge Canadian guide [fly bye nite]my safety is to important.What are the requirements to guide B.C. waters Coast guard testing and aproved.can you read a chart.not get people killed,After being a member on this forum for awhile now, i do know who i'd consider. the two canine charters who have given people a tremendous libaray of safety and fishing wealth.

Here's my opion on guides[U.S. or canuck]I would never hire a guide who did not belong to his country.American guides fishing in Canada. or vice versa.Nor would i hire a rouge Canadian guide [fly bye nite]my safety is to important.What are the requirements to guide B.C. waters, Coast guard testing and approved.can you read a chart.not get people killed,After being a member on this forum for awhile now, i do know who i'd consider. the two canine charters who have given people a tremendous libaray of safety and fishing wealth.Now seeing i just messed up the computer,one more thing.The fellow who made the statement to limit tourist, is on crack or totally ignorant.try comparing the millon snowbirds to a few hundred fisherman.Every Canadian fishing mag.published in the states advertises the fishing on the island.Please go tell painters lodge to quite inviting american fishers and Canadian princess advirtisers. thanks a dual citizen.

Back