ILLEGAL GUIDING

fishingbc

The other situation: Americans guiding in Canadian waters, out of Canadian Ports. This is a big problem in the Tahsis/Nootka Sound area.

The main problem is PROVING that they are guiding - that money changed hands. I've done a lot of google searches trying to find these guys, but they are not advertising on the web. Yet somehow, these guys are out fishing EVERY DAY in very expensive boats. How can they afford this if they are NOT guiding?

I know that the RCMP were checking boats up here last season. I got boarded and checked while on a friends Amercian registered boat. He wasn't too interested in the fish or the fishing regs., but he sure wanted to ID everyone on board and asked many questions about work related issues. They even had someone from immigration on board their boat, but they didn't come over and visit us.

That was initiatated from many who had been complaing for years about what is going on up that way...finally last season we saw some action being taken by the RCMP marine unit, DFO and several other agencies ....but that took some big time effort by several guides who are sick and tired of the bull&%%^## and losing hundreds of thousands of dollars to ILLEGAL guiding operations....it's up to us to take down vessel ID #'s and where this activity is taking place (marinas and slip #'s are very helpful) and pick up the damm phone and report it....otherwise this will continue to get worse.....the lines comunication are now open (RCMP Marine unit 250-751-8845)and we have finally have some agencies listening... Port Renfrew, Sooke, Ucluelet, Bamfield, Campbell River and Nootka all have this going on in a big way....just sit outside of any seafood processor or depot and watch the same people drop off truck load after truck load of fish day after day....sent off to get processed with no checks anywhere in sight....its a perfect world for those who want to ship as many fish south as they can possibly harvest....I've personally witnessed many with five or six copies of their e-licences filled out with just the right number of fish written down as to not tip off fisheries officers or anyone else who might be suspect of how many fish they have landed. Fill one up, fresh one the next day....

Bastards!!
their economy sucks so it is likely to get worse I think anyone from across the boarder should be restricted to certain limits and pay more to fish in Canada
Lets see how many trucks did I see (with US plates) with full size Freezers towing a boat Yeh :( (eyeroll) ...like they are not poaching

I know of 4 guide boats out of the nootka area that display american numbers, (WN... etc), The boats I know are actually owned by the lodges and have been bought in the states. Probably this year they'll all have to display "C.....BC" numbers.

quote]Originally posted by Dogbreath

Well I remember this same subject coming up here years ago.

At the time I did some phoning and found out how to proceed.

The thing to do is get as much info as possible on the person working unlawfully.

Name, address, license plate #, description of boat, boat registration # and dates when he was working.

Print it all up neat and tidy with as many details as possible and send to

Investigations Division
203 - 333 Dunsmuir Street
Vancouver BC
V6B 5R4
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/investigation/menu-eng.html

cs, yea, chinootka lodge is a really good choice. Ive never done any work for them but I know a few of the guys. Dave and Bruce Chard, Mike Thompson, all top notch guides. Youll have a blast.

Being a yank that has fished BC waters for more than 20 years. I bring my boat up and leave it for 6 to 8 weeks and go up with 4 or 5 different groups of freinds and family every summer. I am no guide but one might think so by the amount of differnt people I bring up. I have also run across a number of unlicenced bc guides that work the barkley sound over the years. If you don't do something about the springer limits you will end up like the US with all the shortages. You probably do need to make annual limits but there are plenty of bc natives who fish almost all summer long and they catch a hell of alot of fish. Does anyone need 30 springers a year?

dang so all the good Yanks that buy seasonal nonresident fishing licences and fish only a few times a year up there and dont take more then there possesion limit home get a bad rap cause a few jackholes are trying to make a buck

craptastic

trust me its not just a few.....but the funny thing is that there are a select group on this side who openly support what is going on and all they are concerned about is the return business from americans....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....not the resource......eventually with some more co-operation again this year, the noose will get tighter......

few was meant with a loose intention an unknown number appoligies. As it sits we dont fish as much anymore as the broughten has somewhat dryed up and thats where my family owns a float home. But I still buy a seasonal non resident licence insted of two 5 day licences. You wanna slow the flow get rid of the 3 and 5 day licences for non residents and make them buy an anual non resident licence to fish in B.C. Give yuor DFO more money to fix the sealice problem and help sustain our fish both B.C and the U.S. Salmon. Depending on where you fish and what river that fish was bound for =)I do bring my boat up and take friends up with me. We crab and Prawn and fish a bit but its mostly about being up there. Do we split the gas, food, ferry ride, fishing suplys. Hell Yes. We also share a good time. You and your friends would also. As for Ileagle Guiding wheather is in the U.S. or B.C. American or Canadian doing it is needs to be stoped.

riddle me this How would you feel if I made a friend on this fourm. We have never met but planned a fishing trip together and I payed for all the gas and groceries cause I didnt have a boat. Is that illegial guiding?

You can be riddled all day long if you want Gimp, yet the real issue is that no one will be guiding anything but a Western Hemlock Peg up a Dead Pigs butt if things continue the wat they are.

I have brought this up before, but look at all the mericans that are staying a week at Island West Resort in Uci and limiting on Salmon and Hali each day? Oh look, a St Jeans truck rolling in to pick up there Load for canning, smoking etc. What possesion officer? Oh thats right, there were no fisheries officer around as usual.

Times are coming down hard fellas, and there is not a damn thing you nor i can do to stop it, It's called "Politics" sorry to swear so loud so early.Just look at the logging on this rock, gone.

Finaddict

No sure the BC ecomony could take a limit on tourist. My wife is canidian so I have no problem becoming a resident vs a tourist.

St jeans depots, Heidis's in Campebell River and a few others are all contributing to this mess in a big way....DFO enforcement at every depot....

quote:Originally posted by battaglino

Finaddict

No sure the BC ecomony could take a limit on tourist. My wife is canidian so I have no problem becoming a resident vs a tourist.
I'm good with that Battaglino. I was actually just 'yanking' your chain. ;)Actually there is lots of room for another tax payer. Then you can take your fair share just like the rest of us, and pay through the nose for it. We have been giving away our resources and our pristine environment for far too long. Bringing up big groups of family and friends is fine too. I welcome all American tourists, but your access to MY resources (regardless of the citizenship of your spouse)needs to be limited further and you should be required to pay more than you do.

This is not your fault (or really your problem for that matter). Its a Canadian problem that needs to be resolved by Canadians to protect our resource for our children. If that means that we lose a few touristas in the process, I good with that as well. I am quite confident that our booming economy can handle the adjustment.

P.S. If you plan on residing here you should know, its "Canadian", not "Canidian". God bless the Queen's English heeheehee

All the best.

I am number person spelling is not my strong suite. You need to be saving to my daughter she is Canadian too. For what a take out of BC they do quite well financially. I figure the fish must cost me $50 a pound. It is funny you should mention taxpayer I work for the IRS. I will be glad to pay the taxes the property taxes are pretty reasonable compared to down here. Income taxes I don't plan to pay since I would only be a part time residence. I have come close to purchasing a place up there but did not pull the trigger in time.

quote:Originally posted by battaglino

I am number person spelling is not my strong suite. You need to be saving to my daughter she is Canadian too. For what a take out of BC they do quite well financially. I figure the fish must cost me $50 a pound. It is funny you should mention taxpayer I work for the IRS. I will be glad to pay the taxes the property taxes are pretty reasonable compared to down here. Income taxes I don't plan to pay since I would only be a part time residence. I have come close to purchasing a place up there but did not pull the trigger in time.

I know what you mean about the $50/lb. They cost me about the same as well too. ;)Funny you bring up property taxes being much cheaper up here. The difference is that in the US you have the ability to deduct mortgage interest payments from your taxes to make up for it.

Unfortunately we can't do the same up here.This is an interesting conversation and I really understand and respect your position, but in my mind if you want to consider the resources as yours for the harvesting as a Canadian, you need to be a resident taxpayer, not a part time resident avoiding our tax base. In a way you may have the best of both worlds right now. Part of me says "good on yah for livin the dream" and part of me says 'hey wait a minute, he's doin all that and I am footing the bill"[:0] [8D]

Cheers:)

You can't be serious, you really think that the marinas in tahsis or zeballos can do without the us money we spend each year. I have fished in the cambell river area once in 2006, tahsis in 2007 and plan on returning in 2008. A 7 day vacation for my wife myself and another couple will cost us over 5000.00. We had such a great time last year we told several friends about how awesome it is that 5 other boats are going at the same time. This will give the motel 50% occupancy and provide thousands of dollars in revenue for business in a small and nearly dead community. I can see where an illegal guide could **** you guys off but you can't honestly say you don't want the tourism.

quote:Originally posted by dragonballs

You can't be serious, you really think that the marinas in tahsis or zeballos can do without the us money we spend each year. I have fished in the cambell river area once in 2006, tahsis in 2007 and plan on returning in 2008. A 7 day vacation for my wife myself and another couple will cost us over 5000.00. We had such a great time last year we told several friends about how awesome it is that 5 other boats are going at the same time. This will give the motel 50% occupancy and provide thousands of dollars in revenue for business in a small and nearly dead community. I can see where an illegal guide could **** you guys off but you can't honestly say you don't want the tourism.

Think we are losing the intent of the original post...the thread was about the illegal guiding, whether it be american or canadian and even at that, it's only a small part of the overall problem...DFO mismanagement, poor logging practice, FN abusing rights, fish farms/sea lice, global warming/water temperature, more predators, seals, commercial fishery waste etc etc etc To say we don't want the tourism is a ridiculous statement - here in Victoria, tourism drives the city, end of story...same goes for many of the small fishing communities. We go down in Mexico, should we have no right to spend our money and fish? Silly argument. What it amounts to is paranoia setting in and everyone starting to point fingers in fear of the east coast cod moratorium scenario...not going to help matters...just need to educate and practice what we preach before our fishing opportunities no longer exist.

Back