IHPC 2013 Halibut Biomass reductions

CL...That's why you should use the "Reply with Quote" button.
No way they can edit out BS from your post then...
GLG

Interesting trickery. I shouldn't be surprised what some slipper skippers would resort to.:(

I'll take a little risk putting this out there....maybe if we could get rid of slipper skippers the real commercial halibut fishermen who now have to lease quota to survive could make the same profit on less TAC....there might actually be a win/win in there if we could somehow get to that. Axe the slipper skippers, ensure the legit commercial hali guys get the quota they need to earn the same $ as they do today because they don't have to pay to lease quota, then take that unused commercial quota and allocate to recreational fishery to ensure a full season. Win/win.

Imagine a different future....here's a preview: ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LTSfmMd_Ug

alaska did this years ago with the king crab licenses. confiscated licenses from those who were not landing any quota, eliminated derby fishing and gave each skipper a quota based on a number of years of fishing. eliminated the fishing during bad weather and pretty much guaranteed a quota for those who were out there all along. this also reduced the overall poundage take while upping the price for these fishermen.

I agree Reelfast, we certainly need to find ways to more efficiently use the reduced TAC that is coming for 2013. This could be a way to get there if we can all suspend disbelief and our positional way of thinking about this fishery.

I'll re-post this You Tube clip (originally posted by Cubre Libre) - an excellent summary of the problem from a Commercial Fisherman's point of view. Slipper Skippers are just modern day "Share Croppers" - much more could be accomplished in sharing the available TAC if we could find a way past transferrable quota.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErYJNgECjyA&feature=relmfu

Why are we even thinking about a lower TAC next year,the fish are outy there in our waters as the the surveys have shown.The fish are not moving west, so why are we thinking of rolling over?We go to the IPHC meetings and say no...stocks are fine in our back yard because we took care of our drag fleet bycatch and untill Alaska will show us the same we don' agree and fall back on last years quota.This is more politically based than sience based and we have the one thing that hase been constant for 80 plus years .....SET SURVEYS.....NO MEANS NO N I HOPE OUR COMMISSIONERS GOTS SOME BALLS..

keyboards and xmas cheer are a bad combination.
GLG

Will be interesting to see what Canadian Commissioners argue at January meetings in Victoria for sure. Listened in on the webcast when IPHC Science guys were making their stock assessment pitch for more of the same for 2013. They did some fancy dancing around the stock trends in Area 2B. Basically claiming conservation measures are the reason for upswing in abundance linking the need to continue more of same crap....and a reduction for us to boot.

Hopefully we can somehow manage a season with limits same as last year!!!

That would be the best possible outcome, fingers crossed!! I know a lot of guys railed against the slot, but in reality it was the best way to spread our TAC out and gave the most fishing options for us. We should know what the IHPC says we get for TAC by Jan 25. Even better would be a favorable decision in the Malcolm case...that would be my Christmas wish.

Here's a new link to the IPHC website with an updated news release on 2013 Stock Assessment:

http://www.iphc.int/news-releases/306-nr20121218.html

Discussion on new modelling being proposed for 2013, and summary of stock assessment guidelines and apportionments is provided. IPHC meeting will be Jan 21 - 25 in Victoria. IPHC also welcomes input from us, and provides a link to e-mail you can submit your views.

Like Derby mentioned counsel for SFI and BCWF asked trial judge for early decision explaining IPHC decision on TAC for 2013 will be out in late January, so requested a decision within similar time frame.

Enjoy.

Hope some anglers from South Island will be attending and voicing there opinion on by catch in Alaska. That is who is dragging us all down.

The Alaskan sector already knows they're taking an aggregate 30% hit---Southeast Ak. will be the worst.

In addition, the market has huge carry-over inventories of frozen H&G and pricing has gone off a cliff--the big guys are lobbying the IPHC for a delay in the commie opener---instead of March,it might be April/May for the Alaskans.

Lots of people are waiting for the results of that IPHC meeting in late Jan. It's clear there's a resource problem, though. Lots of chickens in Ak, not too many 60/80's and 80+ fish. I've heard lots of different reasons for why the fish are stunted (lack of feed, spike in water temperatures, and everything in between). My guess it's the same old thing --- too many circle hooks for too long a period in too small an area. i think that's what the IPHC is grappling with

Back