If you were repowering a Seasport Explorer 2400

tains

Crew Member
May be looking at repowering with another inboard. Currently has a Volvo penta 5.7 gxi.

A diesel? gas engines are nice because parts are easy to find and cheap to repair. Also nice to have one type of fuel for main and kicker. The fuel economy of the dies but capital cost is way more

Terry ......what is up? I thought all was good with that pretty rig of yours. Swapping out to diesel would be $$$ as you have to deal with leg changes too. I am at Boat Show tomorrow looking at power packages, are you looking for anything in particular?

cheers Steve

Tains,
I got the 5.0 in my XL, I'm happy with it 10gph at 24 mph which is plenty fast for me? Takes me 5 hours To Bamfield from Vic Harbour. What happened to your 5.7? What type of stern drive do you have? Aluminum or composite? Have you called Greg Little at the Seasport plant to get some Ideas?

Tains,
Give Charles Lewis at Garside Marine located in Oak Bay Marina. He had some good pricing on Volvo re-power packages. He's a good guy, does all my work and never disappoints.

Not sure exactly what happened. Was running fine when parked last and went to fire it up to do some winter fishing and prawning wouldn't start. Mechanic said the head gasket went so he is looking at 3 options. I would rather re-power than rebuild. It did overheat this summer once but the auto shut down kicked in, thinking it may have been too late. I am by no means a mechanic so depending on one to steer me in the right direction. He deals in merc so he may be a little biased. Also heading to the boat show Saturday. See what kind of deals may be there.

Its fairly inexpensive to replace the headgaskets vs repowering as long as there is no corrosion issues from sitting with water in the cylinders or the crankcase,
if it had a 5.7 Id drop a 383 stroker motor in there for virtually the same cost if you do have to repower, more HP, better overall performance and economy
JMO

Unfortunately it is pretty rusty. I don't understand if the head gasket went on the last trip out how come it ran fine and was running when I flushed it at home.

Sorry to here that, definitely sucks the big one. If you get down to Vic and want to go hali or salmon fish I've got a seat with your name on it!!

Unfortunately it is pretty rusty. I don't understand if the head gasket went on the last trip out how come it ran fine and was running when I flushed it at home.
maybe a second opinion is in order,
but like suggested above, if you maybe sucked up a bag or big piece of kelp and it blocked the water intake
causing the overheat which caused the headgasket failure...... then yes thats an insurance claim

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Hookin'up, do the stroker rebuild. Won't cost you any more to do the rebuild and will have a way better motor. I would also try the insurance claim first.

Sorry to hear about the failure. At least you have a few months before boating season to get it resolved.
I would look at the Volvo D4 260hp diesel. Would give you great performance and fuel economy. Would probably get a bit more space in your engine room too.
If your going to the boat show both Hyundai and Mercury have V6 compact diesel options.
Not sure price on these so may be prohibiting.
Good place to talk to all the manufacturers though.

You could look at podding it too. Talk to the guys at Waypoint Marine in Seattle. 90% of the new Sea Sports are coming Podded. They could install for you. Honda or Yamaha Outboard.
Good luck!

Sorry to hear about the failure. At least you have a few months before boating season to get it resolved.
I would look at the Volvo D4 260hp diesel. Would give you great performance and fuel economy. Would probably get a bit more space in your engine room too.
If your going to the boat show both Hyundai and Mercury have V6 compact diesel options.
Not sure price on these so may be prohibiting.
Good place to talk to all the manufacturers though.

You could look at podding it too. Talk to the guys at Waypoint Marine in Seattle. 90% of the new Sea Sports are coming Podded. They could install for you. Honda or Yamaha Outboard.
Good luck!

this would be about a 40k upgrade instead of a marine crate 383 for around 5k...

How about pod it and put 2 f200 yammies on it. That would rock! :D

Thanks barrie for the lead on Garside and the offer on the seat in your boat that's awesome. Supposed to hear from mechanic Monday and will also be looking at insurance policy.
Sorry to here that, definitely sucks the big one. If you get down to Vic and want to go hali or salmon fish I've got a seat with your name on it!!

Rebuild. Way cheaper. Your boat and motor are not old by any standards and you take care of it so nothing is clapped out. If that motor has been heated up a few times that is why your heat gasket has let go. Is your boat at All Marine? (I didn't recognize it when I stopped there to .........admire another Sea Sport). The mechanic is a good guy but he is a Merc guy. PM me if you want some local mechanical ideas. Darn it anyway.

I would rebuilt it too, 5.7 is a good motor. Plenty of power, not too bad on fuel and fixable by most mechanics on the coast . IMO I would stay with the factory set up, when and if you ever sell the value will be there.

Back