if you own a Hurston moored at Cheanuh your waterlogged

Down at the marina to check the boats with Rob H and Gary;saw the sinking Grady under tow...assisted in bailing and pumping the boat.Owner was able to trailer the boat out and gravity did the rest.

Did a little look around;boats with rotting dock lines,no tarps,makes you wonder...:rolleyes:

This is a pretty good read on how to keep your boat off the bottom. Bilge pump types, brands, number and sizes this Surveyor recommends. He especially emphasizes having a higher capacity back up pump slightly higher up in the bilge in addition to your 2 , ( 3, or 4 ) working pumps. He talks about batteries too, emphasizing that most boats are sold with or are equipped with lousy cheap batteries.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm

That story is everywhere these days. The main reason why i take my boat out of the water mid October

Attachments

• 1234706_531117953698449_1254070282531945271_n.jpg
    1234706_531117953698449_1254070282531945271_n.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 270
I trailer my boat, but would want to think that if I did tie to the dock that the marina would have some responsibility to at least call me if my boat was in any type of trouble. no?

When the pump shuts off, with water in the tube, the tube out flow end in the water the tube becomes a syphon and fills the boat fast.

And one of the reasons why I don't bother with winter moorage. Pull the boat each year around the 20th of October. Between winter storms and thieves taking advantage of fewer eyes around the docks I sleep better with the boat on the trailer in the driveway.

. The main reason why i take my boat out of the water mid October

Isn't that a bit like saying you avoid crossing the street because you might get hit by a car ? I suppose if you don't do charters in late fall/winter, don't do much winter chinook fishing, don't use your boat for other activities, don't have more theives at your storage spot, don't have to pay a minimum of a full year for moorage, have a trailer available to avoid haul out charges AND have free or cheap winter storage .......then it would make sense to pull the boat for 5 months.

Isn't that a bit like saying you avoid crossing the street because you might get hit by a car ? I suppose if you don't do charters in late fall/winter, don't do much winter chinook fishing, don't use your boat for other activities, don't have more theives at your storage spot, don't have to pay a minimum of a full year for moorage, have a trailer available to avoid haul out charges AND have free or cheap winter storage .......then it would make sense to pull the boat for 5 months.

Haha.....or "I spend my winters in Cabo". ;)

Lol Oh ya forgot that one ! Thats the best reason by far !!

Threadjack.jpg

Boat still aground on public beach on Okanagan Lake in Naramata. Several windy days ground it into the sandy bottom pretty good and lake level is still falling, so it's stuck there until spring. Apparently the absentee owner knows about it, didn't feel like spending the money for airbags to get it off and will leave it for the winter. Locals are unimpressed.

2014-11-01 19.12.51.jpg

2014-10-30 14.45.06.jpg

Back