If money were no object....

fishin_magician

Well..all these Lottomax and 6/49 Commercials have me dreaming...

Wondering what other people would buy NEW as their ultimate west coast fishing machine if money were no object?

1 Condition....it can't be longer than 40 feet.

Let's hear it!

For me it's either...

A 34' Ocean Sport Roamer

A Grady White 366 Canyon, 33 Express

A Boston Whaler 370 Outrage

This is a tougher one than I first thought. If money really were no object, then I would probably have way more time to fish too, without work, domestic responsibilities etc. weighing on me. So, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get in the water, get to the grounds, and rush, rush, rush. With so much more time to fish, I would take the time to cruise to the grounds rather than tow. Maybe a meticulously restored and converted wooden west coast troller. Otherwise, probably a custom aluminum cruiser/fisher with lots of room for family and friends, two full berths, lots of storage, water and fuel, and a wide, spacious cockpit. In either case I would have a bada$$ high-speed skiff along for early morning trips while the missus sleeps in and makes a big brunch on the mother ship. For the skiff, probably another custom aluminum, with an small enclosed head for any lady fishers or other emergencies, and some way to brew fresh coffee. I would have a flat bottom inflatable with a jet pump on the roof too, ready to stalk remote coastal rivers for untouched steel. One thing is for certain, no matter how rich I am, there will be no TVs on my boat!

Yep Steelhead, I hear ya! I probably wouldn't be in such a hurry either...but then again...if money were no object....up to 35 feet..in my books....something fast and extremely seaworthy with a cabin definitely takes the cake...

Money...if only I had more! LOL!!!!

Boat lust has no place in my vocabulary, but with unlimited funds .... forget the boat and its hassles, for fishing - just hire one of the fine guides on here and they will take care of the details like maintainance and clean up.

Boat lust has no place in my vocabulary, but with unlimited funds .... forget the boat and its hassles, for fishing - just hire one of the fine guides on here and they will take care of the details like maintainance and clean up.

:cool:well put:rolleyes:

Agree, for the smart wealthy person, not having to own a money and time pit is the key. Let someone else own the boat of your dreams, hire it and the guide anytime you feel like fishing. Enjoy the ride and the fishing...leave the mechanical breakdowns, maintenance, stormy weather worries, insurance and moorage to them. Exactly why I take so many doctors, dentists and attorneys fishing. They have more money than free time on their hands.

36 ft yellowfin with triple 300 Verados......... va va voom!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's a certain level of satisfaction in owning and running "your own ride"
Personally i don't get the same kick out of fishing when someone else is baiting your hook
on their boat.
If money was no object, i would still run my own boat.
It's only a matter of how big and how many toys I'd want on it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree r.s craven...it is much more satisfying owning your own ride rather than letting someone else do it all. As a guide, I have a ton of fun doing all that stuff myself......it's just that fun.....not many people's version of fun..but I like it and wouldn't trade it.

X3 r.s craven A big Pursuit

That is a pretty wild video, Optimax 300 HP x 4 running at 82 MPH (132 km/h) would be a crazy ride. The video title says 8 Ft seas, doesn't look anything like that, but they show the speedo and gps in the video and the speed is accurate. Insane!

I don't get it completely, we have boats now, and don't have the time or the money that we would like to be able to use them as much as we would like. So if we had the money (and the time also), why would we not want a boat any more??? I prefer to open my own beer, and I definately love having and working or fixing the old boat up and doing the fishing myself and learning from it. So for me it may no longer be an older boat that requires so much TLC and upgrading to keep it going, it would definately be a custom Aluminum "Tin House" done to the Nines but it would be a year round fishing machine not a Yacht. I would also find me a place to tie that thing up out in front of my new resort where we could escape to "work at fishing", and not "work to fish!" Never have been one that likes to have things done for me, it is great when someone does something for me, but it isn't usually the something that makes me happy, its the Thought and the effort of a freind that is great. One more important point to make is, I would rather be surrounded by people that want your freindship, not your money! That's my 2cents, which may or may not be worth 2 Cents. ;)

A few years back, the company I worked for chartered a boat out of the Bayshore in. I was very impressed with the boat.Some may be familiar with it, it was called the Marauder IV and was a 55 foot aluminum that the guy had had custom built. Twin cats and a separate 90 hp diesel trolling motor that turned one of the main screws.
What impressed me the most was coming back in from fishing, he opened it up a bit and even though we were far from redlining the cats, the gps showed we were doing 36 mph.
I noticed a 55 foot aluminum for sale in the boat journal a couple months back . Not sure but seem likely the same boat.
We all like to dream !!

Randy owned the Marauder and had it custom built for the business. Wasn't a fast boat (16 knots) but it was a tank. The boat was sold to a Victoria based Whale Watching company and from what I heard it is Transport Canada Certified for up to 70 guests !!! 70 people on a 55 footer - holy crap bat man.

Nothing worth having is maintenance free. The upside to being extremely wealthy however is having staff on hand to ensure the problems are dealt with before you show up for fun.

If I could pick the boat I could be working from right now it would be the 33 Ocean Sport, twin diesels. The only problem would be how do I get enough mullah from the customers to make it viable? Maybe a couple bait girls would do it!!

HMMMMM, Money's no object heh?

I'd take the best of both worlds.

I'd get three GW Canyon 366's or BW 370 Outrage's.
I'd park one here in CR, one somewhere along the Cali/Mex coast, and one up in Alaska. Then I'd hire three captains to run them as a North American Fishing Charter operation using local guides. I get to go fishing for whatever, whenever, where ever, still get to bait my own hooks, but don't have the actual job of all the other stuff that goes along with it. Plus, when I'm not using the boat/boats to fish, they are being chartered out helping to pay for some of that excessive luxury and maintenance.

I like to have my cake and eat it too.

Ok, I would probably end up with a boat or two, first choice an old Bertram 28 or 31, only ones I recall seeing, may be bigger available, 9 or 10 foot beam, fishing deck about 8-10 feet long. Beautiful lines.

Back