Ideal Hootchie Action

dance a jig

There have been numerous posts about hootchie leader length, lb test, brand, etc., but in the end we are all looking to get the right action. I am playing around with single hooks for hootchie rigs and likely will use the Mustad 95170 SS hook. After putting a few together with this hook, I am very concerned about the weight of the rig and how it might affect action, as the 95175 is heavy. If my leader length, lb test, brand all stayed the same, I believe my action would be much different because of the heavy hook.

That said, what is the ideal hootchie action one looks for as adjustments to leader length are made. Can someone help me understand textbook action? thanks in advance. DAJ

The "ideal" hoochy action on a flasher would be a hoochy that responds smartly to the action of the flasher.

The flasher rotates.....so does the hoochy.

Leader length will affect how much the hoochy "arcs' in it's rotation behind the flasher. A longer leader will produce less response.
Boat speed, distance of flasher from d/clip will also affect flasher arc diameter. So for instance:- with a leader of 36", you can get the hoochy to behave much differently simply by boat speed and 'dropback" length.

Go no less than 40lbs test leader for hoochies.

Leader length, by itself , is only one factor in a three-factor equation.

Generally, the more hardware/weight you put inside a hoochy the more muscle it's going to take to get it to do anything. The bigger the hoochy in size has more water resistance too.

Water resistance from size.... and weight....will slow down the action somewhat.

But you can compensate for this by leader length, boat speed and distance of flasher from down rigger line.

Regardless of hook weight, it is physically impossible to achieve textbook hootchie action behind a 2470 without a hardtop.

Back