Fluorocarbon Leader reviews

dance a jig

I am looking for opinions about fluorocarbon leader material since there are several brand available now. I used some Seaguars a few years back, but would like opinions about the other products available now. Are there strong opinions as to # test for hootchie leaders, spoon leaders, and bait leaders? With regular monofilament I have prescribed to limper leader ie. 20 # test for spoons, and 40-50# test for hootchies.

thoughts.

DAJ

i would NOT use expensive Fluro for Hootchies nor the big spoons... i use prestretched nylon perlon triple fish in 40-50# for hootchies.

for bait and smaller spoons i do use Seaguar Fluro in 30#

I looked at 50 lb Fluro the other day and at $70 for a spool I made the corporate decision that the **** isn't necessary. Guys have been using mono effectively for many many years. I'll stick with 50lb Maxim Ultra Green and blame no hook ups on wrong spoon or hoochie selection.

Last edited:
I looked at 50 lb Fluro the other day and at $70 for a spool I made the corporate decision that the ship isn't necessary. Guys have been using mono effectively for many many years. I'll stick with 50lb Maxim Ultra Green and blame no hook ups on wrong spoon or hoochie selection.

50 on hootchies is ok, but on bait and spoons I think it's too heavy, especially on summer run springs.
Is there a reason why you go so heavy?

I believe a spoon works best with a flutter action, hence much lighter # test when using spoons, and a snap action imparted by a heavier leader when using hootchies. My real question is regarding which brand of fluorocarbon is best for salmon fishing for durability, knot tying, and stiffness for hootchies, and if using for spoons, limpness. Since there are many different brands now, I wonder if forum members have opinions about Seaguar , Suffix, Ande, Maxima, Trilene, P-Line or other? thank you. DAJ

I believe a spoon works best with a flutter action, hence much lighter # test when using spoons, and a snap action imparted by a heavier leader when using hootchies. My real question is regarding which brand of fluorocarbon is best for salmon fishing for durability, knot tying, and stiffness for hootchies, and if using for spoons, limpness. Since there are many different brands now, I wonder if forum members have opinions about Seaguar , Suffix, Ande, Maxima, Trilene, P-Line or other? thank you. DAJ

If you happen to find something that doesn't have memory after being coiled, let me know. Cause I hate the roll that comes from coiled line. Lately I've been using the Seaguar, but I've caught fish on cheap line too. But as long as you keep your hooks sticky sharp, even stretchy line will hook'em.

50lb Flouro for hootchies, 30lb for the rest (bait, spoon, plug).

The major downside to flouro is knot strength if it's not done right. You have to get that knot wetter than an otter's pocket before you cinch it down.

Also, because of the memory in flouro, I find that the way you store your leaders make a MUCH bigger difference. If you wrap the leader around the flasher for storage (or use little loops of straw), it's going to stay very accordion-like (and very visible) when you put it back down, and that's bad. I'd recommend looping your leader around 3 fingers, then taking a bit of twist-tie to secure it for storage.

Seaguar STS (1/4 the price of blue) has held up well enough for me. I heard the blue is more supple, and probably easier to tie. I haven't tested any other brands though. Seaguar just seems to be the default, and it's widely available.

i have used both grades of Seaguar w excellent resluts as well as P Line which is stiffer
Seaguar is good, but lots of other choices which are just as good and not as expensive.
BUT most guys use regular mono with good success.
More important things to figure out regarding successful fishing then Florocarbon or regular leader line.

I use seaguar but only in freshwater. In the boat I tie most with 30lb maxima ultra green and hoochies with 40 or 60 big game. I'll save the money and spend it on spoons.

I use floro, not initially what I tried it for (visibility/more bites, which is a myth I think now)... But damn it holds up to abuse! I lose a lot less fish. Had line cut by teeth/bycatch on good fish before. Not since I have been using florocarbon

It is stiffer, but the way i holds up to abrasion is worth it alone. I hate tying gear on the water anyway. - I use the Seaguar Salmon 30lb for bait holders and spoons, heavy 50/60lb usually for plastic or bottom gear

Seaguar is good, but lots of other choices which are just as good and not as expensive.
BUT most guys use regular mono with good success.
More important things to figure out regarding successful fishing then Florocarbon or regular leader line.

no doubt

Back