I don't like people

That's strange......

On my old trailer it was a major issue getting those Bearing Buddy caps off......

Had to take a ballpeen hammer and a big flat blade screwdriver....then tap and tap and tap and tap and tap around the sides bit at a time (so as not to damage ) to get them off.

Okay Outa Line, I'll stop whining ...but I didn't even mention the 10 meter sailboat that did a tack right at me while I was fishing, and I had to gun the kicker to avoid contact. I've learned you need eyes in the back of your head at all times on the water. Safety first.

I've never had a bearing buddy come off ...or walk off. I cleaned everything last night and just need some seals and buddy bearings to complete the job.

CHeers

Okay Outa Line, I'll stop whining ...but I didn't even mention the 10 meter sailboat that did a tack right at me while I was fishing, and I had to gun the kicker to avoid contact. I've learned you need eyes in the back of your head at all times on the water. Safety first.

I've never had a bearing buddy come off ...or walk off. I cleaned everything last night and just need some seals and buddy bearings to complete the job.

CHeers
Thanks Red I appreciate it!
those sailboats have a different mentality altogether too and some forget that they only have the right of way when under sail
NO sail-just another power boat!

Thanks Red I appreciate it!
those sailboats have a different mentality altogether too and some forget that they only have the right of way when under sail
NO sail-just another power boat!
Actually, any sailboat under engine power is just another power boat (even if the sail is up).

That is partly correct, but not for us sporties. The collision regs are pretty dumb when it comes to this rule. They must give way to a boat engaged in fishing, that's using fishing equipment like nets that restrict their maneuverability. Vessels that fish with trolling lines (us) are not included. Dumb reg.

Here how the act defines it:

The term “vessel engaged in fishing” means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus which restrict manoeuvrability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict manoeuvrability.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1416/page-4.html#docCont

Trolling lines on a small sport fishing vessel very much restrict manoeuvrability, but the law is the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am like 95 % of boaters, I am always watching out for the other guy, even when playing a fish. Then there is the other 5 % who think that they are the only one in the world and everyone must get out of their way. I have seen guys out there with 3 or more people onboard all watching the rods and nobody driving the boat. Accident waiting to happen.

Play safe and catch lots of fish.

So the act says if the trolling lines on "any" vessel restrict manoeuvrability.....then they must make an attempt to avoid you.

The question then is whether lines on a particular vessel do in fact restrict the manoeuvrability on that particular vessel.....

I think plenty of sport fishers fit that profile.......ones that if they make a hard turn will catch lines in their prop and then quite possibly have no manoeuvrability at all........

So the act says if the trolling lines on "any" vessel restrict manoeuvrability.....then they must make an attempt to avoid you.

The question then is whether lines on a particular vessel do in fact restrict the manoeuvrability on that particular vessel.....

I think plenty of sport fishers fit that profile.......ones that if they make a hard turn will catch lines in their prop and then quite possibly have no manoeuvrability at all........

FromTheFollowingURL said:
http://navruleshandbook.com/Rule3.html

INTERNATIONAL

(d) The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restrict maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restict maneuverability.

INLAND
(d) The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restrict maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restict maneuverability;

As a general rule, this definition includes most commercial fishing vessels (while fishing) and excludes most recreational or sport fishing vessels. The term "lines" in the phrase "fishing with nets, lines, trawls" refers to lines such as long-lines which may be miles long and to which are attached at regular intervals many leaders and hooks. The term "trawls" refers to large open-mouthed nets that are towed through the water by one or two specially equipped fishing vessels (trawlers). Not included in the definition are vessels fishing with trolling lines (for example, a sport fisherman's rod and reel with the line towed astern), which do not restrict maneuverability.

The use of nets, lines, or trawls is presumed to restrict maneuverability while the use of trolling lines is presumed not to restrict maneuverability. The master determines whether the fishing apparatus restricts maneuverability; if a collision occurs, the court may subsequently make the determination. In any case, a master electing to take on vessel-engaged-in-fishing status is required to display the day shapes and lights prescribed by Rule 26.
The bottom line is that even with downriggers deployed at 200', I can pick up lines etc. in a couple of minutes and move quickly. Long lines, purse seiners etc are far MORE restricted in maneuverability and it is them to which this reg is intended to apply. Both written definitions and lots of case law make it clear that it doesn't apply to recreational guys and even if it did - none of us are displaying the day shapes or lights prescribed by Rule 26.

Sorry guys but a sport boat is not considered a vessel engaged in fishing..... Unless you have day shapes and fishing lights you should consider yourself a power boat, even when trolling with Downriggers.

Back