http://savebcsalmon.ca/

Done .Good work Guys!!

NOT SENT!

I hate form letters, but I do agree with the sentiment, so I sent:

To BC Premier Gordon Campbell and the Honourable Ministers Pat Bell and Loyola Hearn:

There is an e-mail form letter petition circulating entitled "The Future of BC Salmon is in Your Hands", of which I am sure you will receive many thousands, but it does not come close to expressing the frustration, confusion, and anger that we, as anglers, sports men and women, and voters, as either individuals or members of the commercial sectors of the sportfishing industry, are feeling.

The decline of the andramodous fishery is shocking, and despite the vagracies of unknown (and possibly unknowable) occurrences in the ocean, and in spite of, I am sure, the best efforts of Fisheries and Oceans staff to understand them, it behooves you gentlemen to act, as custodians of the public weal, to limit any potentially damaging actions over which we, as a society and yourselves as our representatives, have some control. Most specifically, in this petition, the request is that the siting and operation of 'fish farms' be addressed as it impacts on the passage of smolts to the open ocean.

Despite the 'nay-saying' that has occurred along the lines of 'no studies have shown conclusively that fish farms have a negative impact' I have yet to see anything that suggests that fish farms 'have no impact'.

The onus, in these times of decling salmonoid stocks, should not be on the conservative minded members of society to prove that an enterprise is harmful to a public resource, but should be on the industry, in this case the fish farming industry, to prove that their activity will not infringe on the common weal.

I hope and trust that you will act on behalf of the common good to aide in maintaining and helping to flourish the wondrous natural resouce that the salmon have been in the past and will once again be in the future.

Yours truly

Howdy,

I'm in.

Thanks VB for posting this. I wish more of us would get involved in the fight to do something about current fish-farming practices in BC.

There's much more to it than sea-lice.

Fish-farming - besides the fact that every single farm dumps the daily equivalent of raw-sewage directily into our ocean as does the City of Victoria - is providing Federal fisheries managers the perfect scapegoat to turning their collective-backs on our precious WILD fishery.

For those of you (my fellow sport-fishermen) who are unawares, be advised that this whole fish-farming fiasco is very big, very deep, and very dark. There is big-money changing hands that isn't going into the pockets of average British Columbian's...

It will take a monumental effort to rid our coast-line of this filthy menace.

How do I know this? ...you ask.

Simple economics. Read on... then you do the math.

In 2002 - the year I wrote a feature article for BC Outdoors Sportfishing magazine, condeming the industry - there were well over 100 active fish-farms on our coast. At that time, 95% of the industry was foreign owned/controlled (Norway & Holland) with 80 to 85% of product grown in our water being shipped south to feed Americans.

Our sagacious government has ignored the cries and concerns of the sport/commercial/Native fishing community, the scientific/environmentalist community, and the condemnation of the Leggatt Report on salmon farming, only to lift the moratorium on expansion of the industry. (the moritorium had been put in place in 1995 to allow time for more study on the environmental impacts of open-net fish farming.)

Confident, and with the blessing of DFO brass, they told us that lifting the moratorium and expanding the industry would:

- '...create thousands of needed jobs in BC.'

*EACH FISH-FARM CREATES 8 TO 10 FULL-TIME JOBS IN BC.

- '...no concerns about farmed Atlantic salmon escaping into our waters...'

* THEY ESCAPED EN'MASSE - HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF THEM.

- 'okay... they escaped. Don't worry, they won't survive...'

* THEY SURVIVED AND COMPETED WITH OUR 'WILD' FISH FOR FOOD.

- '...don't worry, they can't spawn or reproduce here...'

* THEY SPAWNED. LIVE, HEALTHY ATLANTIC SALMON FRY HAVE BEEN FOUND IN AT LEAST TWO VANCOUVER ISLAND STREAMS.

Yeah... the sea-lice thing is really bad-news.
But it's only part of it.

I can't for the life of me understand how the DFO or FOC, or whatever the hell they call themselves these days, can conduct operations as stewards of our (mine and yours) precious natural resource when, by way of their collusion with the fish-farmers, they are in a direct conflict of interest with their mandate to protect and conserve the WILD FISH!</u>

Ladies and Gentlemen: with respect to my governments capacity to effectively manage our West Coast fishery, it seems clear to me that the wolf is guarding the hen-house, and if we want to see some wild-fish left around for our children and grand-children, we all need to stand together and make a real big BANG so them deaf incompetents in Ottawa do the right thing!

Let's circle the wagons, load our guns and go to battle for our fish, our favorite pasttime, our livelihoods, and the other critters on this planet that depend on wild salmon.

Cheers,
Terry

Back