Hows The Hunting Going Folks?

I've been working an area that holds a couple downright Marvelous Blacktail Bucks of late.
From what I've seen, the Ladz are gearing up for the Big Fall Event and are downright Wishful that it would commence NOW!
The Ladies on the other hand somehow know that The Prom isn't scheduled for a little while yet, and are rebuffing all advances with cold shoulders.

The Ladz are taking their Frustration over that out quite a bit on the local vegetation:

Rub_1.jpg

Rubs.jpg

Scrape_2.jpg

This last one is rather interesting. The tree has a diameter about twice the size of a beer can. the two pictures were taken but a single day apart. You can see just how much more it got trashed overnight following the first (left) being taken:

Scrape_Compare.jpg

To date we've seen a great number of does, and a decent showing of both smaller and "Nice" Bucks in the area.
Did get a good look at the one I've nicknamed "The Skyscraper" when he wandered over and laid down at 100 yards from me - watching the area for an hour. No way to possibly stalk him (smart in choosing that location!) and well out of bow range. Was a lot of FUN drooling over that Impressive Headgear and Massive Body! Hoping when The Prom does kick in he makes a mistake, and I'll be able to show you exactly why he got the name I gave him...

Did not have the camera in hand last visit to the area, but saw a rather strange kind of rub. BIG dead Alder, laying at an angle over the top of a trail has been well rubbed both vertically and horizontally (underside) by either The Skyscraper of his much Wider Counterpart. Will collect a picture to post next time in. Be a few days, resting the area now so as not to alert them too much to our intended crashing of their impending party...

Best of Luck to all those still In Pursuit!!
hangloose.gif

Cheers,
Nog

... Did not have the camera in hand last visit to the area, but saw a rather strange kind of rub. BIG dead Alder, laying at an angle over the top of a trail has been well rubbed both vertically and horizontally (underside) by either The Skyscraper of his much Wider Counterpart. Will collect a picture to post next time in...

BigRub_1.jpg

BigRub_2.jpg

BigRub_3.jpg

BigRub_4.jpg

icon_wink.gif

Dude! Awesome. Get a game cam in there. I'll be on the edge of my seat waiting :)

Unfortunately I no longer own any game cams. Last two were "borrowed" by someone who forgot where they got them from... :rolleyes:

Be a few days before I can head back in. Landowner is doing a little work somewhat close to back in there. Know from past experience this will not move the Lad out for long - far too many Ladies around for that...
By the time I can gain access again, methinks the rut will be kicking in. Hoping that leads the fella producing these rubs into making a mistake... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Nog.......just get out there and whack a buck!!! Pictures of trees aren't doin' it for me!!! :p ;)

Nog.......just get out there and whack a buck!!! Pictures of trees aren't doin' it for me!!! :p ;)

LOL! What with a moose already in the freezer, I am being Damn Fussy this year on the deer!
Could have whacked better than two dozen bucks ranging from 2 points up to a medium four point thus far.
But... with TWO Known Biggies in the area (visuals at distance) I will be holding out for one or the other of them until the last possible moment... ;)

In the meantime, all I have to share are vegetation pix. Sorry if that ain't cutting it for you... NOT!! :p :D

Cheers,
Nog

Hmm! Must be vegetarian. :)

One down. First of the year...... If you don't like blood and nasty stories don't read the rest.

I'd love to post a picture but there was far to much blood to share.

It was a gong show. Buck shot straight to the head of this 2 point. One pellet up its nose and the other in its head and down he goes. Buddy runs over and runs his knife across its throat, a beautiful cut right thru its esophagus like a pro but dam thing stands up spraying blood 5 feet plus in every direction and starts going in circles well my friend is holding the antlers not sure what to do but then he lays back down. Way to much entertainment. Figure since we are so close to my friends acreage we'd take the deer off the farm we were at and deal with it with back at his place. So it gets tossed into the back of my truck for the 2 mins drive. But it's not over...... The buck is now in the back of my truck for the short drive home when we come around a corner approaching another vehicle when the sucker stands up and further blows blood all over my trucks cab and windows and falls back down with its head over the side of my box with its tongue hanging out.

Wish we had the whole thing on video..... I'd like to know if the people in the other vehicle saw what was going on as we approached them.

Yes my hunting buddy and I got one on sat. and nice fat 2x3 in that storm out in the middle of no where closest timber was about 1/2 mile away definatlly in full rut neck all swollen and stinky buddy made a heck of a shot in the neck buck was trotting chasing a doe heading down the hill when he shot!!!!! thing flipped over frontwards to face up hill kinda cool to see. now hopefully ill get one for sausages.....
Miss going to sask already.....

Watched 5 bucks courting the Ladies last night at dusk.
Two of the Gals were still packing bambis and strongly rebuked the boy's advances - one going so far as to deliver a double rear hoof-plant to the Ladz chops! LOL!.
The other three were coyly leading their Dude in a fine Warm Up Waltz!
None were the Big Boy I am after, so even though all were in range, all got their ticket to continue...

From what we saw, The Dance is now in it's early stages here. Won't be long and methinks Mr. Wonderful will be making his annual appearance as King of the Prom!
Here's hoping I am there to bear witness - within bow range of course... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

You didn't harvest this buck in the Black Creek area did you? I'm absolutely convinced this area holds some of the toughest bucks there is from the amount of stories I have heard that are similar to this. Friend of mine has a similar story in that he pumped a ton of lead into a buck, thought he was dead, slit its throat, came alive, another shot up close to the head, start gutting, and thing hops up and starts running again. The horror...the horror...

Double header for me on Saturday.
Big fork to start and a small one to finish.
Walked 2 roads, saw 2 deer, shot both. LOL

Tips

Attachments

• big fork 2.jpg
    big fork 2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 295
  • big fork nov 23 2013.jpg
    big fork nov 23 2013.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 293
  • small fork Nov 23 2013.jpg
    small fork Nov 23 2013.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 292
I Quit...... Going back to fishing.

Many Do just that. Blacktail Hunting AIN'T for for those without SERIOUS Dedication!
They don't call them Grey Ghosts for nothing you know... ;)

Congratulations of the Double Double Tips! Nice Work and some damn fine eating for the winter!

Cheers,
Nog

Found this guy on Sat doing what they like to do best at this time of the year....miss the coast for the fish, but cannot beat the Peace for hunting.

Will post up more later

Cheers

SS

Back