How to mount Hard Top

Wwunder

Hi Everyone,

I have a Malibu 185 that currently has the soft top installed, but it orginally had a hard top and I want to convert it back. Changing over means removing the current windshield since the hardtop has a different windshield and side window arrangement that is already connected.

My questions relate to the hardware and sealing of the new windshield to the deck. It appears that the slider windows on the side use carriage or hex bolts that slide in a channel at the base of the window. the front windshield appears to use screws. Does anyone know what type and size of bolts to use? Also, do I use a rubber gasket between the base of the frame and fibreglass deck or do I just use a sealant like sikaflex?

I have tried emailing Malibu a couple of times, but have not had any success.

Thanks!

Hi all, I thought I would try bumping this question again. I guess Malibu is more or less defunct so I can't get any info out of them. I contacted Jenkins Marine about mounting it and it sounds like they could do it no problem, but the price isn't cheap.

I guess a lot of people will grind a stainless carriage bolt to fit the t-bolt tracks in the windshield so I can do that once I figure out the right size (guessing #10's). I'm still wondering if I should use a gasket below the windshield or just hit it with sikaflex?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how much help this is, but my Striper has a gasket between the hardtop and the hull. It appears to be fairly heavy duty foam. The issue you might have using sikaflex is if you ever have to remove the unit - it could get pretty sticky.

Hey Wwunder, you have any pics of your boat? I have a Malibu 175 and would like to see what yours looks like.

Thanks Bruce, that is a good point. I was thinking about using the gasket material that you use on truck canopies. I attached a photo of the top.boat top 001.jpgboat top 002.jpg

Wwunder PM sent

Butyl Mastic Strip is what I used to seal between the window frame & deck. For the carrage type bolt which runs in the extruded aluminum channel I used regular carrage bolts(stainless) and grinded the sides and top to fit, otherwise you be looking for ever for the proper bolts.

The butyl mastic strip sounds about right. Do you know where I could buy it locally?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys... here is a picture of her in the driveway.
jena7e4e.jpg

I'll try making some T-bolts and finding the butyl strip.

Thanks for the help everyone... it is now mounted.
e5yga3u7.jpg

Now I need to work on canvas ideas. Here is a sketch of my current concept. Comments are welcome.

3ahuqyru.jpg

Way better choice its a clone of my boat. The hardtop takes out tons of sunlight. You might find it annoying on deck space with that little 10" extension piece... My canvas is just just sloped right from roof, and attached on top. I am looking at getting rid of sleepers and go to another pedestal mount to get more deck space and the ability to put drop back curtain in. Maybe that's why your thinking of that extension.

I am just drafting up designs in CAD for fabricator of the radar mount rod holder/rear lighting design and will be mounting it to the top soon.

But you will be very happy with that choice so much better than canvas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Spring,

You have a valid point, that the simple slope back would both be cheaper and would interfere less with headroom over rear deck space.

The reason I am considering the ramp piece is as follows. I dislike having snaps on the whole perimeter because it becomes such a fight when things are tight and zippers are a breeze. The forward slope of the top exposes the rear seat to both more sun and rain so ramping up (to over 6' for headroom) will allow that seat more cover. Obviously, the higher start point for the sloping back will allow a bit more headroom when hanging out in the boat with the top up, and will be nicer when I'm working on the boat in the driveway. finally, as you mentioned I might consider getting a drop curtain as well and the ramp will help facilitate that.

Anyway, like I said I'm open to suggestions and yours is well taken.

Back