How Many Times Have You Been Stopped By DFO.

Got stopped by RCMP yesterday, we were the only boat out.
after almost swamping us with his wake,

questioning went like this ...

RCMP- (from 10' away) how many people on the boat ?
Me - two

RCMP- How many licenses on the boat ?
Me -two

RCMP- What is your name ?
Me- Bla bla

RCMP- what is your birth date ?
Me- bla bla

RCMP- how many fish on board
Me- I wish I had some to show you.

RCMP- where did you launch from ?
Me- Oak bay

RCMP- Is your gear barbless?
Me- yup (they didn't check)

They seemed to miss key information, didn't ask about safety gear
didn't ask for my PCO card or my boat licence.
Not sure how the info they requested was of any value?

Got stopped by RCMP yesterday, we were the only boat out.
after almost swamping us with his wake,

questioning went like this ...

RCMP- (from 10' away) how many people on the boat ?
Me - two

RCMP- How many licenses on the boat ?
Me -two

RCMP- What is your name ?
Me- Bla bla

RCMP- what is your birth date ?
Me- bla bla

RCMP- how many fish on board
Me- I wish I had some to show you.

RCMP- where did you launch from ?
Me- Oak bay

RCMP- Is your gear barbless?
Me- yup (they didn't check)

They seemed to miss key information, didn't ask about safety gear
didn't ask for my PCO card or my boat licence.
Not sure how the info they requested was of any value?

sounds like useless dickery.

Is RCMP empowered to do enforcement work for FOC? I thought their on-water work mainly centred on SAR, alcohol and safety enforcement.

Probably no different than a road block... RCMP asks a few questions while checking you out. Sees no reason to proceed further and carries on.

If you had open pops and seemed like a yahoo, he'd have spent more time on you.

Tips

Between rcmp, dfo and CO I have been stopped 10+ times in 10 years. DFO boarded my boat this year in the Burke channel kind of surprised to see them there but when u least expect them they will show up. Just follow the rules and no worries

I have only ever been stopped by DFO/RCMP once. It was probably 10 years ago out on Swiftsure. The DFO and RCMP officers came over to my boat in their zodiac while we were drifting for Halibut. I reeled my line up off the bottom a ways so that it wouldn't hang up on me while I passed them my license. As I was getting ID the DFO guy say's " I think you have a bite." I turned around and sure enough my rod was pounding away in the holder. They just backed their boat up 20 feet or so and watched me bring in a 30lbs Halibut.....lol Once it was in the boat they brought our stuff back over to us and carried on. From my experience getting checked on the water seems to be good luck....:)

I got stopped out on Swiftsure once about five years ago too. They asked for my license which I couldn't find right away. I explained I wasn't keeping any fish, and was releasing everything since I got there and hadn't needed it to record anything. I told them it was somewhere on board, but I wasn't sure where. They wrote me a ticket, and just before they left I found it. They tore the ticket up, but didn't seem too happy with me. I didn't even have a line in the water when they pulled up, just my kid did. So, the whole thing was a total waste of time as the ticket would never have stood up in court anyways.

Last edited:
I would think that before they even made contact they ran the registration # and knew who you were and that last time checked were fully compliant.

I have never been stopped or checked by a Fishery Officer. Was stopped at a roadblock once by a CO about 15 years ago and stopped once by the RCMP in Tofino looking for safety gear and vessel registration. Funny thing is they didn't ask to see it, just asked what we had.

Back