How Long Does Downrigger Braid Last

Baxter

Typically I would replace my rod line every year or two, but what about downriggers?

I am new to boat ownership and have a new set of 1106b's with factory braid. How long can I expect it to last?

A long time. Going on 6 plus years with Power Pro 250 lb test. Way longer than wire. Just make sure you retie your knot every couple of months and take off about 10-20 ft each time. Otherwise you will lose a cannon ball here and there.

I use those green snubbers on the end of the braid--TBH I'm not sure what advantage they really bring, just nice for handling. Was starting to wonder how long they last--broke on off the other day lifting in the ball so it seems the answer is about 5 years. Used braid much longer than that and never had a problem.

Each year I take off about 10 ft, but my 250 power pro is going strong. 3 years in.

I'm at year 10 at least.
I switched to braid trying to find a way to down rig at tuna speed.
Come the next season I never switched back to ss wire.. And never changed since

If you rinse w freshwater and store out of uv light I don't think braid ever degrades.
High use areas can get frayed from abrasion but that's true of anything.

150lb braid has worked for me.
I flip it end to end every couple years and re-tie the last 10-20ft like everyone else.

At least 10+ years for me also cut a bit off every year back to clean braid and more to retie knots

Hate to say but cannot remember replacing mine yet (10 years). I do cut off 10 ft each year and retie all knots and replace swivels and snubbers. I think life expectancy depends on how much you use, how rough you are, how deep and what weight ball. I use 200 lb Tuff Line braid only use 13 lb gibbs pancake weights and have looked after line, store out of sun and wash after each trip. Do have spare spools in case. Funny last weekend my anchor came up heavy??? Had a brand new 20 lb glow downrigger weight hanging off fluke. Some ones knot broke.

HM

Back