How do you store lures with leaders

tie directly to the bead chain if that works better for you.
I like the quick change at both ends
I like your idea Scott and I plan to use it for spoons although I’ll just put a swivel on the flasher end and a quick change on the terminal end.
I‘ll tie a few of these leaders so I can quickly change out a frayed one and I see my spoon trays getting a lot tidier in the future.
I’ll keep my teaser heads, hoochies and flash flies fully tied with straws.

I only keep anything pre-tied for a month or less. With each fishery I re-tie what I need then all the old stuff gets clipped off and stored. Winters up the sound, May and June up the coast, July on the other side and then late summer Fraser. All new gear.

I guess it would depend how many spoons you're likely to use in a day. I tie a chain swivel at the top of my leaders, and a snap-swivel at the bottom, so that makes changing out easy. That said, I used exactly three spoons this summer, so I had three flashers set up with a 3.5" GreenGlo Coyote, a 5" Cop Car Coyote, and a hideous 6" Great Lakes spoon called a Warrior that salmon strongly believed was a herring. I kept those three in a Liquor Store plastic bag (14", 10-pound-test), attached to flashers, with the leaders wrapped around the flashers. Also in the bag were two flashers armed with a Cop Car and an Army Truck hoochie.

As soon as we reached the grounds and got set up, a couple of those rigs went over the side while we rigged some baits. Given how good our fishing was in July and late August, the bait never got used. Once the hot spoon or hoochie had been pointed out by the salmon, we ran it without a flasher. For some reason, the middle two weeks of August were slow, so we had to go to bait.

If we'd had to experiment to find the hot spoon, the snap swivel at the business end allows for a quick change, and if we decided to forego the flasher, the snap-swivel attaching the flasher to the main line made that easy as well.

I tried the straw system, and it works fine for the lures in the tackle box, but for hootchies, spoons, etc, that I use often, I have stolen one of my kids pool noodles from the pool and cut a couple 1' sections off of it. Combined with a toothpick at the end of the swivel, it works great.

I prefer things in a box, but this is so much easier to manage especially when you want to be fast at swapping lures on the water, plus when I am done for the day, I have everything on a noodle for easy rinsing.

I tried the straw system, and it works fine for the lures in the tackle box, but for hootchies, spoons, etc, that I use often, I have stolen one of my kids pool noodles from the pool and cut a couple 1' sections off of it. Combined with a toothpick at the end of the swivel, it works great.

I prefer things in a box, but this is so much easier to manage especially when you want to be fast at swapping lures on the water, plus when I am done for the day, I have everything on a noodle for easy rinsing.
Cut a slit lengthwise right through to the center. Slide the swivel into it.

When wrapping up leaders, I do a figure 8 wrap around my fingers Instead of a straight loop. Way fewer tangles when unravelling.

I've been experimenting with the snap to spoon system. Love how clean and uncluttered my tackle box has become. I went to 40 lb fluoro leader a couple of seasons ago, it works great in the water but using straws as leader keepers left the fluoro all kinked and hard to handle in the boat.

Now I just have four sets of leaders of different lengths, wrapped on a piece of pipe insulation so they don't kink. If I was really fancy I'd colour code them with a drop of paint on the swivels and snaps.

I put them in sandwich size ziplock bags with nice big loops in the line. And throw them into a large ziplock bag then into a Tupperware container. I have four separate bags in the container anchovy teaser heads, hearing teaser heads, spoons and skirts. That store’s away nicely
I do the same. Great way to minimize tangles and prevent moisture and rust, I use snack zip bags and the swivel end gets wrapped around the loop 3 times. I have containers for hoochies, herring teasers and non wire chovy heads20210907_123816.jpg

Attachments

• 20210907_123842.jpg
    20210907_123842.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I've been experimenting with the snap to spoon system. Love how clean and uncluttered my tackle box has become. I went to 40 lb fluoro leader a couple of seasons ago, it works great in the water but using straws as leader keepers left the fluoro all kinked and hard to handle in the boat.

Now I just have four sets of leaders of different lengths, wrapped on a piece of pipe insulation so they don't kink. If I was really fancy I'd colour code them with a drop of paint on the swivels and snaps.
Or use different coloured beads.

go online and check out rig rap, I purchased a bunch of their Golders and love them going to order more, the small yellow ones are not as useful as the larger ones

That’s ghetto. Just get the wide pool noodle from the dollar store. I fillet a side flat with a bread knife. It prevents them from rolling around. The swivel punctures the foam and everything stays together nicely.
Quick easy most people can wrangle a piece of cardboard even if it’s from a beer box lol if I’m gonna pay for something it’s gonna be small bags to keep em in my tackle box but on the fly use whatcha got

Was just rereading hi tech jigging and thinking don’t need no stinking leaders lol
Use to go river fishing for salmon and would have twenty or more all tied up in advance on cardboard with grooves cut in to keep them separate and it sure speeds up “ get it back in front of the fish “
Rather than untangle and clean a rig just throw a new one out !
Always seemed to get more fish on spoons and divers in the river than bottom bouncing with roe or spinners

Was just rereading hi tech jigging and thinking don’t need no stinking leaders lol
Use to go river fishing for salmon and would have twenty or more all tied up in advance on cardboard with grooves cut in to keep them separate and it sure speeds up “ get it back in front of the fish “
Rather than untangle and clean a rig just throw a new one out !
Always seemed to get more fish on spoons and divers in the river than bottom bouncing with roe or spinners
Re read the original post in the hi tech thread, it is very specific. No swivel or snap between lure and leader, to prevent tangling on the drop. So, although I've switched to snaps on all my leaders for plugs and spoons, hoochies and jigging lures remain fully rigged with leader provided for each individual lure.

Re read the original post in the hi tech thread, it is very specific. No swivel or snap between lure and leader, to prevent tangling on the drop. So, although I've switched to snaps on all my leaders for plugs and spoons, hoochies and jigging lures remain fully rigged with leader provided for each individual lure.
Ah yes heavy leader to stop tangles and correct action had to read a long way to get leader length ! Also wouldn’t want it all curly either so no prewrap

Back