How Can you mount Trap Eze to scotty swivel mount??

saltydawg

Hi Guys,

I have a scotty swivel mount bracket on the boat. I would like to use it to attach a scotty "trap eze" , to haul prawn traps.
http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/fishing-supplies/trapease.htm

The trap eze bracket holes do not line up with the swivel plate holes. Scotty suggests drilling holes into the plate being careful not to compromise the plate. They also suggested my buying their electric winch. I'm just a poor retired stiff. No play money for electric winches.

Are there any engineering gurus out there that have designed an adapter plate??? No sense in "re-inventing the wheel". I sure would like to see what you did so I can copy.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't want to drill holes in the plate, just get a square of starboard and make a mounting plate.
Or buy a cheapo cutting board from the dollar store it's the same plastic and if the board is too thin-this is dollar store goods we're talking about here-buy 2 and epoxy them together.

If you are retired youre to old to be hand pulling traps.
I went electric when my kids got tire of pulling them for me.
We bought the Ace.
Do a lot more prawning now.
Hi Guys,

I have a scotty swivel mount bracket on the boat. I would like to use it to attach a scotty "trap eze" , to haul prawn traps.
http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/fishing-supplies/trapease.htm

The trap eze bracket holes do not line up with the swivel plate holes. Scotty suggests drilling holes into the plate being careful not to compromise the plate. They also suggested my buying their electric winch. I'm just a poor retired stiff. No play money for electric winches.

Are there any engineering gurus out there that have designed an adapter plate??? No sense in "re-inventing the wheel". I sure would like to see what you did so I can copy.

thanks

Almost easy, if I understand your problem correctly.

Simplest.
Cut a piece of plywood 2.5" wide x 5" long.
Cut two pieces of plywood 5" long x (1 1/2" plus whatever the thickness of the plywood your using is, e.g., if your using 3/4", these pieces would be 5" long by 2 1/4" wide).
Glue and screw these pieces to the edges of the 2 1/2 x 5" piece.
You will now have a piece of 'U' channel where the inside web is 2.5 wide x 1 1/2" high, 5" long. This wii fit over the dr mount.
Now on each leg, centred 1" in from the end, 1 1/8" up from the bottom, drill 5/16 holes (Check diameter of bolt used to secure dr to base).

The holes should line up with the hole in the dr mount.

Now attach the trap ease base (#241) to the top of the 'U' Channel.

Mount your 'U' channel base to the dr base, insert bolt from your dr through holes and secure with wingnut. Note, you will lose the wingut, so you are probably better off using a galvanized insert nut on one side to receive the bolt.

Can be more sophisticated based on this design, ie, aluminium side pieces, but this is pretty simple and doesn't take a lot of precision work.
Measurements should work, but double check before you cut/drill.

Even simpler would be to attach your trapease mount (#241) to a piece of 1/2" plywood about 6 x 6", drill 4 - 5/16" holes to match the hole pattern in the base plate beneath the swivel base, remove the swivel mount, use the 4 Scotty mounting bolts (with the plastic mounts) to attach the plywood. In this case you want to keep the thickness of the plywood at or close to 1/2", not 3/8 or 5/8" so the bolts reach and secure to their nuts properly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another easy solution... take an old small downrigger mount bolt or a long 5/16 bolt and put it thru the tilt base hole, then remove the original short bolt from the trap eaze, hold the two pieces of the trap eaze together and line them up w the downrigger bolt, tighten DR bolt and adj angle of trap eaze to suit - voila!

Attachments

• DSCN4961.jpg
    DSCN4961.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN4962.jpg
    DSCN4962.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN4963.jpg
    DSCN4963.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 128
get the dual mount holder (447) for the rocket launchers and it should fit right in when one of the rocket launchers is removed
then you also have a dual rod holder, and wont have to remove the rigger each time either

447_dualrodholder_Kit_000.jpg

Back