Hourston Fuel Tank Design -Help Pls

EZZ70

Hey ppl, I need to get a new fuel tank built for next week before the floor goes in. I know a few have done some re-design but just can't find the threads. Does anyone have any "good" ideas, lol? It will be the same width and depth as original, I am just making it longer, instead of 50gal it will be 80gal.

The original didn't have a siphon tube, isn't that weird? Also, what would be the correct placement of the sending unit as the boat will not be sitting level...

I am looking for a supplier for hardware ie sending unit, siphon tub etc.

3061896C.jpg fuel_tank.gif

Not sure about getting the hardware but here are a few pics from my build. It's a 125 imp gal tank and you can see where he mounted the sending unit and fill tube...etc. The boat sits pretty flat in the water when full so the indicator seems accurate from what I can tell.

Attachments

• pic111.jpg
    pic111.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 65
  • pic121.jpg
    pic121.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 64
  • pic122.jpg
    pic122.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 64
  • pic158.jpg
    pic158.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 58
Do you have enough room to install a filler and vent at the front of the tank? Sounds tough to do however vent at the front of the tank would be awesome if you have the clearance, it can be pretty tough filling the tank full with a big air bubble in the front of the tank. I am pretty sure all tank openings have to be on the top of the tank now. I agree it will be a little stern heavy so sender location will depend on if you want it to read full longer or empty longer. I moved my sender forward so it will read lower sooner. I would rather come back sooner under power than paddle back, but im kinda a chicken.

Last edited:
I'd say the middle for the sender, should give you the best average when its one way or another. Try adrenaline marine in delta. They could fabricate that tank in a jiffy.

Hey guys, I am just doing some calculations for this tank, original is 48” and holds roughly 50gal so that would make it 1 gal per inch or just over 1.04gal/in. From transom to floor step down bulkhead I have roughly 87” max.

Depending on the sump/bilge area to accommodate a couple pumps and room enough for the fill inlet, which will be about 4”. That brings the max to 83” minus your sump width. Question is what width of sump should i do, 10” to 12”? If you use 12” for the bilge area we are down to 70” max for the length of the new tank that equates to a 70 gal tank. Does this make sense?

Do anyone a have measurement from transom to step down bulkhead for a 26' by chance?

IMG_8125.jpeg IMG_7930.jpeg IMG_4421.jpeg IMG_9055.jpeg

Back