Hooks for Anchovy Teaser Rigs

First of all get rid of the trebles. Too much damage to the fish if releasing. I've switched over to 2) 4/0 Gami Octupus. Sure use baling wire to tune. Easy release using Octupus and no damage, no need to even touch the fish.

First of all get rid of the trebles. Too much damage to the fish if releasing. I've switched over to 2) 4/0 Gami Octupus. Sure use baling wire to tune. Easy release using Octupus and no damage, no need to even touch the fish.
Disagree.If your talking shakers single treble is the way to go as they have a harder time getting deep hooked with them.

If you are straightening out VMC and owner hooks than its something else. You need to lighten up and let the fish run! I could see other hooks but those two hooks are very strong and rarely do I see them bent.
The last spring I caught had a VMC broken off in the corner of the jaw and the hook was partially straightened out, looked to be a trailer that had broken off as it had about an inch and a half of 30lb test still attached.
fish was 15lbs someone tried to horse it in me thinks

Reporting back in ... ran the following hooks this weekend in Barkley sound and had zero issue with fish to 25 pounds:

Gamakatsu 4x round bend in black nickel, sizes 1 and 2;

Eagle Claw lazer sharp 3x claw point in bronze, sizes 1 and 2; and

Owner needlepoint 3x in black nickel, size 4.

Again, for those wondering the majority of the straightened hooks we were getting earlier this year were before the fish even popped the line off the clip. Sometimes as many as 2 hook points per hook, as sometimes we run stingers, were totally straight and the hit was gone before we could even run over and grab the rod. I can't think of anything other than weak hooks that explains that problem.

Out of curiosity; for the proponents of trebles have you ever tried singles?

I switched to singles 17 years ago but went with a 4 day charter that used trebles last week. Took forever to unhook fish. This leads to mortality of released fish.

Many short bites because of no trailer.

I also like the roll that singles give; those that know know that trebles screw the action.

Out of curiosity; for the proponents of trebles have you ever tried singles?

I switched to singles 17 years ago but went with a 4 day charter that used trebles last week. Took forever to unhook fish. This leads to mortality of released fish.

Many short bites because of no trailer.

I also like the roll that singles give; those that know know that trebles screw the action.
I've seen a lot of beautiful looking successful rolls from guys using trebles. Just saying

Exactly.

Tugcaptain - so have I. But until you see the roll from singles how can you be sure what's best?

I use both trebles with a single trailer and two singles depending on situation. I do find it easier to get the spin right with the treble setup but it is probably because I have used that configuration more. Getting that good tight roll with singles the first time is still a work in progress for me.

Tugcaptain - so have I. But until you see the roll from singles how can you be sure what's best?
I'm not saying I've seen it all, but I've certainly seen rolls of herring and anchovie with singles.
I respect that you have a bone to pick with trebles for reasons you believe in, but to say "those that know, know that trebles ruin the action" is more than a bit arrogant, and I'm just saying I've seen so many guys treble rolls so pretty they almost made me drool to know it's wrong.
Stick to reasons that are true to make your point.

Last edited:
IMG_7379.JPG eric1 here's how i roll. you called me out on this before....
both plugs are tomic 700's tubbys.
i pulled the pins on the top one and added twin trebles on a braid harness. ( yes the trebles are pinched)
Bottom plug right out of the package. not yet pinched.
Not trying to derail this thread but can you honestly tell me that massive siwash isn't causing harm to immature fish?
Plus you already started a thread exposing the evil that are trebles.
My treble setup, always in the lip. btw.
sorry back to the "right" way to rig anchovies....

RiverBoy, your barb pinch job would probably get you a ticket here in WA. If they are always hooked in the lip why do you need 2 trebles?

Still waiting for that good reason everybody but BC on the west coast has banned trebles.

TugCaptain, Iv'e been fishing for 60 years & what you may view as arrogance may be confidence from experience & the opinions of other well-respected anglers I know.

I tied my teaser rigs with a #1 or #2 treble and stinger hook.

I have found that good size fish will hammer the bait and generally be hooked by the treble leaving the single to dangle around. Sometimes hooking them, sometimes not.

Undersized springs are often hooked on the stinger. I find the smaller fish tend to twist and thrash more than a bigger fish which will run and head shake. The result is the fish is hooked in the lip with the stinger and then gets the treble embedded somewhere else on its head. This leads to some difficult releases.

I tied up some anchovy rigs with a single 4/0 octopus hook but never tried them.

Will definitely give it a go in the spring when there are more undersized around. Releasing a fish with a single hook is much easier than a treble.

Last edited:
RiverBoy, your barb pinch job would probably get you a ticket here in WA. If they are always hooked in the lip why do you need 2 trebles?

Still waiting for that good reason everybody but BC on the west coast has banned trebles.

TugCaptain, Iv'e been fishing for 60 years & what you may view as arrogance may be confidence from experience & the opinions of other well-respected anglers I know.

Was waiting on the pinched barb comment, which is why i already commented on it. they are pinched i assure you. that one barb on the trailer treble looks suspect but it is legal. even in washington.....
I pinch all my barbs and have been checked multiple times with nary a ticket.
to answer your question on dual trebles, i have half the experience on the water as you do. only thirty years. but in that time i have discovered that salmon do not all strike the bait the same. some times they hammer it, sometimes they short bite. sometimes they take from the front, sometimes they take from the tail. As much as love fishing, i am ultimately out there to put fish in my freezer.

Was waiting on the pinched barb comment, which is why i already commented on it. they are pinched i assure you. that one barb on the trailer treble looks suspect but it is legal. even in washington.....
I pinch all my barbs and have been checked multiple times with nary a ticket.
to answer your question on dual trebles, i have half the experience on the water as you do. only thirty years. but in that time i have discovered that salmon do not all strike the bait the same. some times they hammer it, sometimes they short bite. sometimes they take from the front, sometimes they take from the tail. As much as love fishing, i am ultimately out there to put fish in my freezer.
When I've been checked up here (Gulf Islands BC), the officers have put any suspect hooks through their shirts, and pulled them out. And I'm told that if they "snagged"(which they haven't), I would've been ticketed.

Back