Honda kicker with oil in carb!

Ugly Betty

Well...my ordinarily helpful friend was not so helpful. Long story short my kicker was put away lying on its wrong side. I have oil in the carb now. Was thinking of pulling the spark plug and the drain screw on the bottom of the carb. Then using the primer ball flood the carb and purge out the motor oil. Pull it over a couple minutes to clean out the cylinder then instal new plug and run though some sea foam. Just checking what others would do!

I had the same thing happen with my Yamaha kicker. I ensured oil level was ok and started it on the muffs. Some blue smoke that soon cleared.

As said just check oil level in crankcase, I woukd drain carb because it is dead easy to do then start it up and run it for 10-15 minutes

Yes should be a minor inconvenience. I wouldn’t even worry about changing plug if it starts and you weren’t needing to do it yet.

As stated, it's nothing to worry about, check the oil if it's good, grip it and rip it, it'll burn off. Remember oil is only less refined gasoline, she burns.

With that said it may be a sign of the rings getting a little worn and compression getting low. With properly sized rings and cylinder the ring seat should be sufficient to prevent the crank case oil from passing the rings thus getting up into the carb. If it's running fine don't worry about it but it is a sign of some wear starting. It could just be getting by the ring gap too it's hard to say. Like I say if it's running fine and doesn't seem to be burning any excess oil don't fret over it.

The oil likely got into the carb from the crankcase breather...which recirculates crankcase fumes back into the intake. I know someone who layed a brand new 9.9 Yamaha on the wrong side and he couldn't start it...he wasn't aware why it wouldn't start so took it back to the shop..it was full of oil.

More than likely that's were it came from, never thought of that one.

I would try to pull the engine over by hand a few times before hitting the starter. If there's a lot of oil above the piston, it's possible to get a hydraulic lock & do some damage to the motor.
Best practice is to remove the plugs & roll it over on the starter before attempting a start.

Back