Historical fishing accounts

MikePA

I'm curious if there's any good resources that talk about what fishing, life around the ocean was like when the ecosystem was in it's sort of natural balance (pre-1900?). Thanks!

While not quite the time frame you seek, all of Billy Proctor's books about growing up and spending a lifetime fishing BC coastal waters are a great read and should be on every fisherman's bookshelf in my humble opinion.
Thanks! I'll take a look.

While not quite the time frame you seek, all of Billy Proctor's books about growing up and spending a lifetime fishing BC coastal waters are a great read and should be on every fisherman's bookshelf in my humble opinion.
agreed. a beautiful snapshot back in time. the part that boggles my mind was all the kids of the fishermen and coastal loggers being ferried to school in a double ended fishing boat. great book

I'm curious if there's any good resources that talk about what fishing, life around the ocean was like when the ecosystem was in it's sort of natural balance (pre-1900?). Thanks!

hard to get a sense of it pre 1900s whaling had wiped out a lot whales. By 1910 fur trade had wiped out sea otters and the northern fur seal.

As the railway was being built it completely whipped out trout in lakes and streams as they used it to feed rail workers.

hard to get a sense of it pre 1900s whaling had wiped out a lot whales. By 1910 fur trade had wiped out sea otters and the northern fur seal.

As the railway was being built it completely whipped out trout in lakes and streams as they used it to feed rail workers.
Interesting!

Find a copy of the book The Salmon People...originally published 1967. Amazing history of salmon on the westcoast 100 year or more ago...and the commercial fishing history too. Great read. One of the things I found most interesting was how much placer (gold) mining during the BC gold rush ruined so many salmon rivers and creeks as the miners did not think about the fish and just tore up the gravel and bedrock in search of gold.

Find a copy of the book The Salmon People...originally published 1967. Amazing history of salmon on the westcoast 100 year or more ago...and the commercial fishing history too. Great read. One of the things I found most interesting was how much placer (gold) mining during the BC gold rush ruined so many salmon rivers and creeks as the miners did not think about the fish and just tore up the gravel and bedrock in search of gold.

Yep. logging and mi i g have ruined so many watersheds it’s unreal. My beloved Oyster River was a barren, dead river when i was a little kid. there was literally no life. no slime, no growth.
then the Oyster River Enhancement Society was started and little by little life came back. the bio diversity that began due to the life cycles of the mainly pink salmon changed that river for the better. anyone who says hatcheries are no good have got a few screws loose in their head

Yep. logging and mi i g have ruined so many watersheds it’s unreal. My beloved Oyster River was a barren, dead river when i was a little kid. there was literally no life. no slime, no growth.
then the Oyster River Enhancement Society was started and little by little life came back. the bio diversity that began due to the life cycles of the mainly pink salmon changed that river for the better. anyone who says hatcheries are no good have got a few screws loose in their head

its funny when you read this from the 1920s and wonder, it really is hard to get a sense of what things were like.

Circa 1920

"THE OYSTER RIVER This is quite a nice sized creek, ideal for fly fishing. It is situated about half-way between Courtenay and Campbell River. There is no hotel accommodation but some of the settlers will put people up. With the aid of a motor car it can be fished from Courtenay. This creek used to be grand for fly fishing, the trout run to good size and at one time a good sized- basket could be filled in a short time. It has, however, sadly deteriorated and big catches are seldom made. It is, however, still good at times and well worth a visit if you are anywhere near. May and June are the best months, the water gets too low in July unless there happen to be some good rains"

its funny when you read this from the 1920s and wonder, it really is hard to get a sense of what things were like.

Circa 1920

"THE OYSTER RIVER This is quite a nice sized creek, ideal for fly fishing. It is situated about half-way between Courtenay and Campbell River. There is no hotel accommodation but some of the settlers will put people up. With the aid of a motor car it can be fished from Courtenay. This creek used to be grand for fly fishing, the trout run to good size and at one time a good sized- basket could be filled in a short time. It has, however, sadly deteriorated and big catches are seldom made. It is, however, still good at times and well worth a visit if you are anywhere near. May and June are the best months, the water gets too low in July unless there happen to be some good rains"
wow. thank you for that. where is this from?

Another amazing book is called “ My Father My Friend” by Arthur Mayse. an account from the eyes of a boy who grew up in Nanaimo but made weekend trips with his father and camped on the Oyster River in their old Model A Ford. just a beautiful read and a glimpse into the good old days.

I wish I could remember the details of the fishing stories from my grandfathers about the 20s and 30 up thru the 60s.

My Grandad fished Cape Lazo and talked about catches of half a dozen or more coho and springs, back when that was legal. My grandmother hated it when fishing was good, because she was canning all day in July or August on a woodstove - in a 400 square foot cottage.

My Grandpa was a Brentwood guy, back in the Depression, when a job as a postie meant you could afford a cottage and a 26' wooden launch. He fished wire line down to 600', using window sash weights on clothespin type quick releases -- and the spring fishing was good in those days.

Wish I'd been listening more when they were talking.

i did too. sounds like reels creeped back then too. they also advised to avoid split rings; a lesson i learned the hard way in nootka one year after losing several “gooders” at maquinna
Yea, a lot of fish have been lost by either the hook or the tied on line working its way under and sliding out of the split ring from the fish being played, at least for the guys who did not get out the soldering iron and permanently close the split ring once installed, to prevent that very problem. In the early days the split rings were often brass but now are usually stainless.

Last edited:
Yea, a lot of fish have been lost by either the hook or the tied on line working its way under and sliding out of the split ring from the fish being played, at least for the guys who did not get out the soldering iron and permanently close the split ring once installed, to prevent that very problem. In the early days the split rings were often brass but now are usually stainless.

"Notes from the net shed" by amor de cosmos is an entertaining read ....its about a woman working in the fishing industry out of steveston back in the day.

https://polarbearscience.files.word...rehistoric_bluefintuna1997_downloaded-pdf.pdf

i’m not sure if this is considered off topic but this has always intrigued me . sure fire evidence that our coastal natives used to hunt giant northern bluefin off our coast not all that long ago .
i also read somewhere they found conclusive evidence the Haida had settlements in California and they suspect even further south. fascinating stuff. sorry derail. man i need my boat fixed

i also read somewhere they found conclusive evidence the Haida had settlements in California and they suspect even further south. fascinating stuff. sorry derail. man i need my boat fixed
What's wrong with the boat ???

CRGreg

Back