HERRING PACKER GOES DOWN OFF OF QUALICUM

fishingbc

A herring packer went down fully overloaded off of Qualicum Beach today....if it was the same one we saw limping down Baynes Sound heading south, no wonder....looked like it was about 2" above the waterline if that....appearently had 50 ton or more of herring onboard.....wonder if the lost fish will be subtracted from the quota and fished for again....gotta make some calls to DFO to find out....

As a sporty I am completley discusted
no wonder no fish are around theres no feed!!!

I hope he gets a fine for over fishng and then hsi insurance wont cover him

Seriously whats the point anymore everybody is out or $$$$$
would be stupid if they are allowed to fish again

Well you got to hate any more junk going into the water,, and hate to see anything go to waste,, I mean if the fish are dead all ready just as well see them used.. Either way they will catch the same weight again so double trouble,, and I hardly doubt this will be counted as a yearly quota...

As a sporty I am completley discusted
no wonder no fish are around theres no feed!!!

Exactly!

Who had the most to gain???
The herring fishermen, the boat owner.
But who actually bears the cost???
Commercial salmon fishermen, Sporties, Indians, the Ocean eco-system.

quote:Originally posted by walleyes

Well you got to hate any more junk going into the water,, and hate to see anything go to waste,, I mean if the fish are dead all ready just as well see them used.. Either way they will catch the same weight again so double trouble,, and I hardly doubt this will be counted as a yearly quota...

Unless they refloat the vessel, I believe you will likely see a lot of fat crabs in the area where the ship sank in the near future.:D

Not to worry boys. That's just DFO's way of letting us all know there is still scads of herring around for everyone.

Can you just imagine the positive impact for salmon if fishing for herring was shut down? [}:)]

We were out on a tour yesterday and heard the MAYDAY call and it was responded to very quickly so I am doubting that anyone was hurt as it sounded like it simply started taking on water as opposed to hitting anything.

as a avid sportfisherman and a commercial fisherman, the first thing everybody should be asking is everybody ok. Having worked the herring fishery for 8 years the time to fish is very limited. Its a hard job but can be dangerous at time's. So before all you so called sporties blast the commercial fishery all the time get your facts straight.

hey Gill watched them fishing off ships point yesterday and all day the day before off maple gaurd. Did you catch the name of the boat.Know some of the boys out there but havent heard anything.A lot of over loaded punts around though.Thats the second boat this year the other one was during the bait fishery

yes the boat did not go down, my apologies to all....the mayday call went out but it was pumped out and returned to French Creek...

Did they pump out the herring before they started towing it?

Back