Herring Spawning (maybe I should have posted here)

Dave S

My friend just forwarded an email he sent off to someone concerning the herring on south island. Here's what he wrote:

"The fact is, the herring populations have crashed in Southern BC and this has had huge affects on the rest of the food web. I am a strong lover of nature, and spend a great deal of time on the water fishing, surfing, camping, sailing, etc. I cherish seeing whales, dolphins and eagles and the herring are connected to everything either directly or indirectly. Without them everything falls apart. It seems that there has been a silent killer sitting in our estuaries, harbours and inlets for the past hundred years slowly wiping out herring runs without being noticed. I have no idea how many creosote pilings there are in BC, but it must be a staggering number. Creosote pilings seem to be the most ideal looking surface for herring to lay their eggs on and soon thereafter the eggs die. It makes you wonder if the forest of pilings that the herring would with through when entering the harbor would be attractive enough to cause them to prematurely lay their eggs before ever making it to where they should. Has anyone studied or looked into this? This was exactly the case in Squamish.
http://sqterminals.com/community/SquamishStreamkeepers.htm
It was only in 2006 when they discovered this and started wrapping the pilings with landscaping cloth. They have had a doubling of herring returning each year and now have wildlife returning to Howe Sound that hasn't been seen in 30 years. You bring back the food and the hungry will follow. I witnessed a pod of hundreds of White Sided Dolphins a sight not seen until only a couple summers ago.

The success in Squamish has caused others to ask questions about there own parts of the coast such as my father in Pender Harbour and others on Bowen Island. Pender Harbour:
http://www.clubrunner.ca/Portal/story/StoryDetail.aspx?accountid=1875&sid=184270&stid=
Attached you will find photos of the Pender Harbour results from the first year. The pictures speak for themselves. Dead eggs on the pilings, live ones on the cloth.

2010%2012%2010%20test%20section%20at%20Garden%20Bay%20Pub%20IMG_5328.JPG

2010%2012%2024%20Garden%20bay%20Pub%20dock%20IMG_5345.JPG

2011%2003%2025%20Bargain%20Bay%20IMG_5545.JPG

above: live eggs on cloth

2011%2004%2022%20Herring%20eggs%20on%20pilings%20at%20Bargain%20Bay.jpg

above: dead eggs on pilling

We'll see what this year brings. I want to see these results in our herring population. The fact that this has successfully worked in places with genetically distinct populations of herring leads me to think that it should work here, but I am no expert. I am a concerned person who wants to see ecosystem in our waters become what it once was. Herring are cool little fish, but I am doing this more for the whales, birds, seals, salmon. We need the herring to return for so many reasons.

So, what do I want to do?
Hang herring curtains at various places throughout the Gorge and Victoria Harbour. I have 4 friends who live on the gorge and are eager to put them on their docks. The herring curtains are only in the water during the months of the spawning run and then taken out, washed off, rolled up and stored until next year."

What do you guys think of this? Anyone wanting to help out in Victoria or Sooke areas?

Interesting. If it works, cost is marginal for return. Worth a pilot project but is is getting late for this year. Wonder why DFO (duuuh) is not on to this. I used to go to the Gorge bridge and get the herring I wanted/needed in an hour or so. Not now.

Interesting. If it works, cost is marginal for return. Worth a pilot project but is is getting late for this year. Wonder why DFO (duuuh) is not on to this. I used to go to the Gorge bridge and get the herring I wanted/needed in an hour or so. Not now.

It seemed to work in Squamish. I think it makes sense and I'm willing to give it a go. I think it may be too late for this yeah as well, but will wait for response from the educated and experienced to decide this.

I am not too sure why a large group like DFO has not attempted more projects like this?

"So, what do I want to do?
Hang herring curtains at various places throughout the Gorge and Victoria Harbour. I have 4 friends who live on the gorge and are eager to put them on their docks. The herring curtains are only in the water during the months of the spawning run and then taken out, washed off, rolled up and stored until next year."

"What do you guys think of this? Anyone wanting to help out in Victoria or Sooke areas?
"

Dave. S. I would be to help do this in the Victoria area. PM me to let me know how and when!

Anybody else on the forum want to help out with this great idea?

Back