Herring troubles with spawning

Dave S

My friend just forwarded an email he sent off to someone concerning the herring on south island. Here's what he wrote:

"The fact is, the herring populations have crashed in Southern BC and this has had huge affects on the rest of the food web. I am a strong lover of nature, and spend a great deal of time on the water fishing, surfing, camping, sailing, etc. I cherish seeing whales, dolphins and eagles and the herring are connected to everything either directly or indirectly. Without them everything falls apart. It seems that there has been a silent killer sitting in our estuaries, harbours and inlets for the past hundred years slowly wiping out herring runs without being noticed. I have no idea how many creosote pilings there are in BC, but it must be a staggering number. Creosote pilings seem to be the most ideal looking surface for herring to lay their eggs on and soon thereafter the eggs die. It makes you wonder if the forest of pilings that the herring would with through when entering the harbor would be attractive enough to cause them to prematurely lay their eggs before ever making it to where they should. Has anyone studied or looked into this? This was exactly the case in Squamish.
http://sqterminals.com/community/SquamishStreamkeepers.htm
It was only in 2006 when they discovered this and started wrapping the pilings with landscaping cloth. They have had a doubling of herring returning each year and now have wildlife returning to Howe Sound that hasn't been seen in 30 years. You bring back the food and the hungry will follow. I witnessed a pod of hundreds of White Sided Dolphins a sight not seen until only a couple summers ago.

The success in Squamish has caused others to ask questions about there own parts of the coast such as my father in Pender Harbour and others on Bowen Island. Pender Harbour:
http://www.clubrunner.ca/Portal/story/StoryDetail.aspx?accountid=1875&sid=184270&stid=
Attached you will find photos of the Pender Harbour results from the first year. The pictures speak for themselves. Dead eggs on the pilings, live ones on the cloth.

2010 12 10 test section at Garden Bay Pub IMG_5328.JPG

2010 12 24 Garden bay Pub dock IMG_5345.JPG

2011 03 25 Bargain Bay IMG_5545.JPG

above: live eggs on cloth

2011 04 22 Herring eggs on pilings at Bargain Bay.jpg

above: dead eggs on pilling

We'll see what this year brings. I want to see these results in our herring population. The fact that this has successfully worked in places with genetically distinct populations of herring leads me to think that it should work here, but I am no expert. I am a concerned person who wants to see ecosystem in our waters become what it once was. Herring are cool little fish, but I am doing this more for the whales, birds, seals, salmon. We need the herring to return for so many reasons.

So, what do I want to do?
Hang herring curtains at various places throughout the Gorge and Victoria Harbour. I have 4 friends who live on the gorge and are eager to put them on their docks. The herring curtains are only in the water during the months of the spawning run and then taken out, washed off, rolled up and stored until next year."

What do you guys think of this? Anyone wanting to help out in Victoria or Sooke areas?

Wow...... Who never thought of that.? :confused:

Mind... there has to be a lot more eel grass than pilings.

Definitely interesting to say the least.

Dave S
totally with you on this even to the point we should making more artificial reef/ kelp beds out in the straight
as boating especially commercial log booms are just doing no good what so ever
wonder why we don't get good return's in the howe sound area any more?????

most of it is now just a barren open water way
something has to be done so when fish go back to sea the have ways to survive the first year or two
before becoming food for birds and rockfish that we can't catch.

I may be reading this wrong, are you saying this is a well known fact? can't tell sarcasm in text sometimes.

I edited the post you quoted before you quoted to "Who never thought of that.?" I being one....

There was no sarcasm above and you didn't read it wrong..... I just totally posted/worded wrong :eek:

I have not heard of this and it is an interesting thought (with evidence)

My bad..

Cool post Dave!

In my neck of the woods it was my understanding that the herring that go up the Gorge spawn in Portage Inlet. Not sure of the status of that run. Suffering I expect.

Herring reproductive rates are (as you already know) crucial to the productivity of many species. Now, if we could get our daft/corrupt gubbamint to do something intelligent about rehabbing/restoring salmon habitat and getting the ******' salmon-farmers OUT OF OUR WATER so them baby fish would have a fightin' chance, then we'll be on the right track.

Thanks for posting that.

I went to a presentation by a guy from the Squamish Streamkeepers-his crew is responsible for the success on the docks up there.

Lots of hard work and common sense went a long long way-the numbers they have produced are staggering.

I had no idea about the creosote piles being a potential issue. Just goes to show you that we can't keep unloading stuff into our oceans and expect no effects. Interesting story

Potential Bad news for the all the hardwork and recovery of Herring in Howe Sound. Here's what the Squamish Streamkeepers Herring Recovery Coordinator had to say on recent increased commercial openings for herring and increased tonnage by DFO:

"Squamish Streamkeepers Howe Sound Herring Recovery Program which has had tremendous initial results as the regular dolphin reports indicate. The government has unleashed a major new fishery on “surplus” resident herring that no research has ever proven exists. How does anyone know if it’s our struggling stocks that are being massacred by the extremely efficient seine nets. As an unpaid volunteer I shudder at what damage may be done to all our work for the benefit of a few fishermen. Surely the government must remember the serious damage that was done just a few decades ago by careless monitoring of the live bait fishery which destroyed these same “surplus residential herring”.
Jonn Matsen, Squamish Streamkeepers Herring Recovery Coordinator

Great thread. I have said this before if I was put in charge of trying to help salmon stocks recover I would start off by doing everything I could to bring the herring numbers back to their historic levels. I believe if that was done the salmon would follow suit as long as their spawning grounds were productive and protected. The current thinking by DFO and the fellow commercial fisherman is that if there is any sign of a surplus on any stock it's money laying in the ocean might as well scoop it up. They never stop to think the Ocean pays a high interest rate and if those fish were left alone for a few cycles there might actually be enough for a sustainable, predictable, annual harvest.

One thing I know for sure is they try to make rec fisherman share the blame in the declining salmon stocks but there is no way they can blame the rec fisherman on the declining herring stocks. That is ALL on DFO, commercial fisherman and maybe some damagae to their local habitats as alleged in this thread.

I know what the DFO is thinking... if they made a slot restriction for rec herring fisherman around Sooke/Victoria from May - July annualy that would solve the problem.

Great idea....too bad there wasn't some commercial fishing conservation to go along with that!!! Yeah if the logging companies have to replant trees then why don't the commercial fishermen do the same for all the fish they catch!!!!!

Reports I get from the Gorge Herring in Victoria is that it doesnt exsist anymore. They used to come up the Gorge by the thousands now none?? Or very little. DFO opened up the Commercial Fishery this year wide open. Why???

Reports I get from the Gorge Herring in Victoria is that it doesnt exsist anymore. They used to come up the Gorge by the thousands now none?? Or very little. DFO opened up the Commercial Fishery this year wide open. Why???

You ask why.... so the commercials could make a quick buck.

Short term gain.... long term pain.
Look around ... all you will see is company's out to make a quick buck.
Damn the torpedo's full speed ahead.....
Kick the can down the road......
Don't worry our kids will pay for our greed of today....

Older I get the further I look into the future and the less I like what I'm seeing.
GLG

Creosote pilings,

After reading about problems with the herring, I couldnt help but notice that late fall 2011 at the Salmon Point Marina that they were expanding their Marina adding new slips.
I thought great, good for them, good for me, the fisherman, but as I walked around, I was noticing a REALLY strong odour from the new wood, and pilings going into the water.
CREOSOTE, I then thought, hey that cant be could for the water, it isnt good for the land, or allowed in fencing anymore because of the toxic creosote, yet here it was sitting in the Salmon Point Marina.
Little did I know at the time, that heering would have eggs on that very same thing, the boat slips, and new pilings.
Is it really required to put that toxic chemical into that wood to make it last a little longer................????
Just sayin

http://www.timescolonist.com/Fishers+float+herring+solution/6305831/story.html

The little group we started this winter just got some exposure from local newspaper. Hopefully anyone with a dock will keep an eye on their pilings and contact us if they notice eggs on the creosote. From what we here, this year has been really bad for herring in the gorge.

We are looking for some rope donations if anyone in Victoria area has some. Both leaded and regular. Lengths can be as short as 20'. I can pick up anytime.

The recent near hurricane winds in the Gulf must have played havoc with the eggs sitting in shallow water on the east coast of the Island

Was out today at French Creek to watch the spawn and feeding frenzy, pretty cool. DFO said in its latest update that there is a lull in spawning activity so the commercial gill net continues. I didn't see a lot of boats out though. Does anyone know if Herring spawn in the tidal portions of rivers and creek?

Back